Dustwind - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The real-time tactics game Dustwind has been released:

Dustwind

REAL-TIME TACTICS - PvP, COOP-PvE, SOLO. Join the CLUSTERFUN! Make quick tactical decisions, sneak, aim for bodyparts, use traps, turrets, cars. Play as a dog. Create characters with varied skills and gear. Play various PvP modes. Play PvE alone or with friends. Map editor included.
More information.

Based off various Steam reviews it has no SP campaign.

Taken from it's webpage.
A multiplayer realtime tactical post-apocalyptic game.

Twenty-five years have passed since The Awakening – a catastrophic event in which an artificial intelligence called the Mainframe has gone rogue and turned it´s robotic armies against all other lifeforms on Earth.

We barely won the war at a great cost. Ninety-five percent of the population have perished in the global conflict. From the embers of war various gangs and factions arose. Today they fight violently for survival and dominance – like humans always have, and like they always will.

And now the time has come for you to get rekt while fighting your friends, other teams, or the Evil Computer in Cooperative or Solo-Missions modes.
So I'll pass.:cool:

Guess it will be a wasteland in mere months.

From the looks of it, it might have made a decent turn-based tactics game.

It looks like it would be a good SP game, but, Online? No thanks.

It'd be a cool system for building your own SP/Co-op campaigns, if it included a toolset.

mp? No thanks.. that killed it for me.

Actually, any game that uses the phrase "get rekt" as part of it's description is a game I'll never play (for so many reasons).

All we are is Dustwind.

(Sorry, couldn't resist). :p

NYGx.gif

On looking the first screen I screamed:
- OMG! OMG! New Fallout!
Then read the Kriptonite words: REALTIME
which effectively made this game (for me)
Stupid trash A V O I D W A R E

If anybody is interested in this game buy it now before it goes up in price.
Our community and all players get an extra discount due to an unexpected pricing submission mishap on our end!

After our discounted release week, which was meant to be 20% off the regular Full Release price announced on our press wire as $24.99 USD (originally intending to make it 19.99 USD first-week sale price). Instead, the system held our 17.99 USD former early access rate pre-full release, and we noticed after we submitted the 20% discount week.

So, all in all… your reward for our glitch up is an extra savings first week at $14.39 USD! After this first sale week post-launch, our full release price will be $24.99 USD.

We apologize to any press who may have been confused on the price point showing lower than is reported now, this was very much an unexpected scenario on our end. Please feel free to link this as an official report and explanation from our camp!

Company is taking issue with users complaining about the lack of a single player campaign. I think they make a good point in that they never advertised a single player campaign (although they did promote their solo missions).

Nobody wants to write AI anymore. Simply making a battlefield for players to duke it out in is so much easier. The lazy devs can keep their game, and I'll keep my money.

Yeah, I guess it's cool they might drop the retail price by $5, but I still don't care. I'd rather give them the $5, if it's a good game.
Yeah read some of those replies just as bad as NecCore with Inquisitor - Martyr. At least NecCore made some semblance of a campaign. This developer didn't even bother.

They just used Fallout Tactics for inspiration, and forgot that game has an offline campaign. So not sorry to see steam buyers asking why solo play was even mentioned.

Dear everyone!
Let me give you a brief, definietive update on the matter.

As written in the pinned FAQ thread, there are NO current plans for an SP campaign. It is not that we had not considered it at any point, its just that we had realized we can´t possibly surmount the resources needed to make one. It is not something you "just do", contrary to a popular belief.

And yes, we are well-aware that it is hard AF to start off an MP game, especially as small indies.
We have a marketing agency this time at full release,and also our most avid and helpful players are spreading the word, stream, getting others to play, etc.. We do not know how it all will go yet because our crystal ball just broke, but so far its doing fine and we hope for the best.

Now, let´s talk some academics!

Would it have been easier to market & sell an SP game? Hell yes. But - for better or worse - we did not ask ourselves what would be easy. We asked ourselves what kind of a game do we really want to make. It´s not that we don´t like SP games or don´t see how DW would be suitable for one - it´s just that we felt more like making it MP-focused. The original plan was making BOTH, but as mentioned, we at some point realized that´s not gonna work with the resources we had, and had to make a decision.

Now, whether or not you think that decision was dumb, and whether or not we should have planned & made Dustwind an SP thing rather than MP right from the start is a purely academic point at this stage. Would we make this decision again if we coudl go back in time and BLAH? Noone cares, because you can´t go back in time :) There were points for and against MP, and at some point we had decided to follow our hearts and continue the development the way we had originally envisioned the game, as inspired by Fallout Tactics played online on Gamespy Arcade, that was our inspiration. We had a blast together for years on end playing the game, and that´s how we became friends & came to the idea to make Dustwind in the first place. #yolo #swag #noregrets #liveyourlife

So back to the present - for you it means two things:

1. You still can play (and create) Solo missions. I know its not a full-blown campaign, but hey, it´s something :)

2. If we get enough money from the game as-it-is now, we MIGHT consider putting it into further expanding the Dustwind universe, MAYBE with an SP addon/game/whatever. If we feel like it.

- How can you productively, constructively ACTUALLY help? By playing the game, getting your friends & hitting up any influencers you know, making Solo missions (possibly multiple, that others can play as a series), etc. Go ahead and become "The solo mission mapper guy" if you want.

- If you do not want to participate in the game & it´s community, noone is forcing you. However, I do invite you to try. Back theeeeen, after finshing the FoT campaign, I was also like "Ugh, FoT multiplayer??", but then I logged in and after getting owned a few times found my best friends, and had the best times of my gamer life...

I´ll see you on the battlefield. Or maybe not, cuz you´re playing Solo missions only.

Thread moved to "Academic Discussions" sub-forum.

Cheers,
Idiot DD2 Dev

Back
Top Bottom