Game of the Year Awards 2016 - Best RPG

For me Blood and Wine and Deus Ex are clear winners, this list is bizzare.

I don't see anything weird about that list at all. I don't see how it conflicts with any kind of day-to-day vocalising, by minorities or otherwise. It's basically a list of the highest profile RPGs of last year :shrug: :spotlight-left:

I suspect that of a lot of the noisy groupthink negativity towards certain studios is disregarded by many resonable people.

As well as negativity towards certain ppl in elections… :p

2016 was a year of many releases and some smaller gems are among them (Ara Fell for example). But no game was really outstanding.

If editors couldn't agree on a vote, maybe you could just release the best hidden gems of 2016 by RPGWatch(men), dear Professor. :)

I´m finding it a bit hard to believe Blood & Wine didn't receive enough votes to even make it to top 10, considering the amount of mentions I remember it getting in the voting thread.
A case of vocal minority, I guess.

Besides that, I agree with the "none" winner, 2016 was zzzzz.

Expansions weren't supposed to be allowed, so I assumed any votes for B&W were disregarded?

As well as negativity towards certain ppl in elections… :p

Funnily enough, I suspect that the people who bash on certain studios because they're full of hipsters, pinkos, and communists are the very same ones who are at peace with said election. But let's not do this here, shall we? ;)

If editors couldn't agree on a vote, maybe you could just release the best hidden gems of 2016 by RPGWatch(men), dear Professor. :)

(in no specific order)

Lesser known titles of 2016 that are fun to play
The Quest
Balrum
Stardew Valley
Sunless Sea
The Dwarf Run
Stranger of Sword City
Ara Fell
Bastard Bonds
SteamWorld Heist
The Storm Guard: Darkness is Coming
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Ember
Sorcery!
Dungeon Rats
Xanadu Next

Better known titles of 2016 that are not bad
Dragon's Dogma
XCOM 2
Grim Dawn
The Banner Saga 2
DARK SOULS III
Technomancer
Avadon 3
Tyranny

Good re-releases in 2016
Quest For Glory 1-5
Arcanum
Final Fantasy X/X2
Final Fantasy IX

Remember, remember Blood of November

Expansions weren't supposed to be allowed, so I assumed any votes for B&W were disregarded?
They weren't on the list which is fair enough, but I assumed cases like this belonged among the reasons for the write-in option's existence (and I don't remember expansions being outright disallowed anywhere at the time I was voting).

Besides, Siege of Dragonspear sits at number 6 and AFAIK that one's an expansion too.

They weren't on the list which is fair enough, but I assumed cases like this belonged among the reasons for the write-in option's existence (and I don't remember expansions being outright disallowed anywhere at the time I was voting).
I doubt that, that would be bizarre. Why would they accept votes for something but at the same time bias the voting against it by intentionally not putting it on the selection list? (despite it being an obvious candidate for inclusion in the list)

I suppose you are right about Siege of Dragonspear though. Puzzling. IIRC, it offers the chance to start with premade characters and play through it w/o having played the original game first. That could be an important distinction.

Myrthos said this in the original nominees thread: "My personal opinion is that expansions should not be contenders for GotY. That said, I do wonder if a game like Siege of Dragonspear is an expansion in the usual sense."

I suppose you are right about Siege of Dragonspear though. Puzzling. IIRC, it offers the chance to start with premade characters and play through it w/o having played the original game first. That could be an important distinction.
You can start B&W with premade character right away too.

Interesting, didn't know that. I guess the criteria, then, is that a certain number of years have to pass inbetween game and expansion release?

I'm guessing there's a lot of votes from non or seldom posters?

I was pretty shocked to see DS3 in the top 3 considering when there's a thread about it it's usually just me and 2-3 other people posting.

Tyranny won. Well, I guess 2016 was an awful year for RPGs. Blood & Wine was awesome, though. Definetly my GOTY.

Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to follow us vocal minority folks. Sad. It's like they don't even understand the direct correlation between posting frequency and refined tastes! Oh what a world…

Also, surprised to see 2 action JRPGs on the Top 5. Not what I expected from you guys.
JRPGs? Or RPGs that were made in Japan?

Ripper:

REACTION_TO_FIRE_620px-x-264px-Svcs_1.aspx

Russians must've hacked the election if Dark Souls made it in on the list.
Congratulations to Nothing though.

Back
Top Bottom