Original Sin - Update #5, Shorter Video, Overview of Rewards & Downloads

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Update #5 for Divinity: Original Sin brings us an overview of the digital and physical rewards and some downloadable avatars icons and wallpapers.
You want it, you got it: we posted some avatar icons which you can use to customize your portrait here on Kickstarter or on other forums. We also posted two cool wall-papers. Click the links to have a look, and we hope you find at least something to your liking. Look, here's one of them. Completely totally randomly picked. (Well, no, it's my personal favourite really.)
_0021_Demon_Black.jpg
Furthermore there are some links to non-English previews and GOG will be selling Dragon Commander and Original Sin.​
GOG.com,DRM-free digital purveyor of all that's good in gaming, has announced that they will be partnering up with us for Divinity: Dragon Commander and Divinity: Original Sin. That means that if you want, you will be able to get your digital version of Divinity: Original Sin via GOG.com.
They also announced that they’ll be participating in the pre-order campaign for Divinity:Dragon Commander (part of the 65$ tier here on Kickstarter) and to promote it, they will host a live Google+ Hangout On Air Q&A session on Wednesday, 10 April 2013 at 2:00 GMT (10:00 AM EDT), which will reveal new gameplay footage from Divinity: Dragon Commander.
And finally they have a reduced size of the opening video.

More information.

That's a great video that quickly communicates key features of the game.

While I appreciate the in-depth videos that Richard Garriot has been putting out, the SotA team could learn from this approach as many people can't or won't watch kickstarter videos longer than a minute or two.

And most of the SotA videos are in excess of 20 minutes and a few over one hour. Way too long for most people with jobs and family who might be interested in their game.

It was also confirmed that for the limited $65 tier, you get 2x Original Sin and 1x Dragon Commander.

That one is indeed very attractive.

That's pretty much what their KS video should have been :). Pity you can't turn back the clock. Even so, I reckon they'll get enough support to make this game a highlight of 2013 (or later). Hard to say whether this or Wasteland 2 is more exciting.

This and Project Eternity are on my main list. I am in dire need of a new game soon so can hardly wait.

…the SotA team could learn from this approach as many people can't or won't watch kickstarter videos longer than a minute or two…
I can understand the meaning of this complaining but hey man, they just already raised $1,382,603 out of a total goal of $1M. What a mess and a bunch of awkward communicant… ! Come on, keep your rantings a bit more down to earth.

I can understand the meaning of this complaining but hey man, they just already raised $1,382,603 out of a total goal of $1M. What a mess and a bunch of awkward communicant… ! Come on, keep your rantings a bit more down to earth.

I too agree with her views and many others which highlights a global issue with this project's presentation. Nevertheless, I think that there might be something good buried there. Here is a nice web site that summaries many of this projects aspects in text:

http://sota.stratics.com/gameplay/

Yup, as Arhu said, I wrote to Larian in the contact section because I thought an error had crept up on their chart. The desc for the 65$ tier said 1 DOS and 1 DC…but then the chart mentionned 2 DOS and 1 DC.

Here was their reply:

Larian Studios LLC
Thursday Apr 4 2013, 12:41pm EDT

It was, but then it was too late, and then we said what the heck - it's limited to 2000 copies anyway. So there you go, 2 DOS copies for 65$ and DC on top of it - deal of a lifetime ;)

So yeah… 2 Original sin and 1 dragon commander for 65$ thats a pretty great deal. There's still about 1500 available if anyone is interested in that tier. =)

I think you misunderstand me. As a long time fan of Richard Garriot's work creating Ultimas, I want SotA to be successful. My criticisms are intended to help their kickstarter, not bash it. Yes, they've raised money beyond their goal which means the kickstarter will be successful.

But I believe if they summarized their key features for people unfamiliar with Ultima games they might have generated much more revenue. Their kickstarter presentation is not the messiest one out there, but it's not exactly concise or organized either.

Original Sin's kickstarter, though not nearly as badly as SotA imho, was sort of suffering from the same problem. But they listened to backers telling them to make a short video that quickly communicates key features to people unfamiliar with the project and they did exactly that, in a pretty superb way. Hopefully it will generate more kickstarter revenue.

There is no downside that I can think of to summarizing key features, why not just do that.

They definitely could have been more organized at the start, but I think they are doing better now. They are in the very early stage of their game and have made a lot of money, 1.1 mil more then a game that was almost done.

They definitely could have been more organized at the start, but I think they are doing better now. They are in the very early stage of their game and have made a lot of money, 1.1 mil more then a game that was almost done.

I think they are doing well. Unlike Original Sin, they don't have much game to show just yet since it's all just starting for the most part. But they have two big assets: a) RG is the founder of the original Ultima series and although he doesn't officially get to use that name for this new game it's still a BIG plus and b) Richard Garriot's name is well known in the business.

Those two reasons alone should have made this a 2m slam dunk. But I attribute the lack of concise messaging as the main reason why it's doubtful they'll make 2m with just 60 hours left to go. I'll be happy to be wrong on this.

Again, and I can't state this strongly enough, as a long time Ultima fan I really appreciate all the videos and lengthy write-ups that are available. It's just too bad they didn't summarize for people out there that know little or nothing of the Ultima games to help them get a quick understanding of the type of game being created as I'm sure many newcomers would be interested in this type of game.

I think they are doing well. Unlike Original Sin, they don't have much game to show just yet since it's all just starting for the most part. But they have two big assets: a) RG is the founder of the original Ultima series and although he doesn't officially get to use that name for this new game it's still a BIG plus and b) Richard Garriot's name is well known in the business.

Those two reasons alone should have made this a 2m slam dunk. But I attribute the lack of concise messaging as the main reason why it's doubtful they'll make 2m with just 60 hours left to go. I'll be happy to be wrong on this.

Again, and I can't state this strongly enough, as a long time Ultima fan I really appreciate all the videos and lengthy write-ups that are available. It's just too bad they didn't summarize for people out there that know little or nothing of the Ultima games to help them get a quick understanding of the type of game being created as I'm sure many newcomers would be interested in this type of game.

Oh I agree....I think it also works against him in the fact that a lot of people doing kickstarter only know him for tabula rosa...The original Ultima games a lot are too young for them.

Enough thread jacking though...

Back
Top Bottom