The TV Series discussion thread

The new order in series is mildly racist, but noone is relocated, they're using people considered "lower class" as workforce. Different kinds of work. :D
It's not to the extreme nor are white people spared - you'll spot so called Marthas being different race through series. I've also noticed quite a few, erm, military workers, dunno how to call them, that aren't white.

In fact I don't remember any kind of relocation mentioned anywhere. Jews included. The point is, either you submit to the new society or you die. At least in series is like that. Dunno about the book.

In any case, extreme racism is not part of the major plot or substories in the first season. Perhaps it does happen in the next season, but I can't know that.
Sexism however went over the extreme.

And I've never heard about Michele and Romey's High School reunion before. Sorry. :D
It's not surprising, I'm avoiding comedies like a plague. But since you're the only one on this site beside me who plays Blue Horizon, I promise I'll try to find that one. ;)

Last edited:
Well they were near perfect to me. I get that there were changes,but a film based on any book is always an adaption of orginal work and can never reach same level. I just think that as a whole he followed the books quite faithfully and brought Tolkien's world, characters and the mood on big screen extremly well. In this he succeeded. His films touched me deeply. It wasn't a cash grab like the later Hobbit films which left me cold.

Sure there is room for improvement. That is given, but I never expected him to stay 100 % faithfull. Director always has a vision of his own. I don't fully agree with all the changes he did, but most of them just didn't bother me that much.

For me personally, the most dissapointing moment was when Faramir was tempted by the ring… I just think it was entirely unnecessary to add more drama in such cheap way. Corrupting Faramir's character served no purpose other than adding more drama. The corrupting influence of the one ring was hammered a bit too much for my liking. Some people were able to resist the power of the ring atleast for some time which brings me to good old Tom.

Yes I think they should have not cut good old Tom bombadil, but you have to do those cuts and for a filmmaker it makes sense to shorten the hobbits' trip. I could have personally watched even five hours long fellowship movie though. ;)

Also few smaller things like replacing Glorfindel with Arwen… Yes, the scene works, but every time when I see it, I can't stop thinking that this is not how it happened! :)

I agree completely about Faramir. He's my favorite LotR character :)

Personally, I think FotR is as good an adaption of Tolkien as one could possibly hope for from Hollywood. Still, it had flaws.

TTT and RotK got progressively worse - and especially the last third of RotK was very much like what I originally expected we'd get from a Hollywood adaption.

That's not to say they're bad movies, because they're not. They're GREAT fantasy movies - but they're not Tolkien, to my mind.

I'm a huge Tolkien fan, so I have a very hard time giving certain changes a pass.

As for this new Amazon TV show - I'm not going to expect much. The price of the license alone means they can't take much of a chance with it. I mean, they have to play it safe and make it into a GoT clone with "inspiration" from Tolkien.

At least, that's what I would expect.

On the other hand, taking a chance is probably what you HAVE to do if you want to have it be a major success - but that would require very big balls indeed.

So, I finished the second season of Stranger Things. I'm disappointed and angry at the writers for messing up what made the first season so good. The second season oscillates between a feeling of deja vu and a jumble of disparate, superfluous story arcs that have lost all traces of the camaraderie that made the first season so good.

They added some unnecessary new characters with shallow backstories and turned it all into some derivative lightweight action series. The only episode for which I felt any of the same nostalgia elicited by the first season was the final, ninth episode.

Also, Samwise Gamgee needs to lay off the second breakfasts.

Just finished Stranger Things and partly agree. I think there is no need for the new characters and camaraderie is also lacking as they got split into very small groups and in some cases, we were just following just one character.

Also the main story was lacking due to there being no mystery anymore. I hope they don't make any more seasons as I don't see where they are going to go with it.

I didn't care for Stranger Things season 1 - except for the atmosphere. I struggled with Season 2 - and gave up around episode 5.

To me, it's obviously a show where a whole lot of nothing is at the heart of it. It seems to rely on atmosphere and the 80s thing a LOT more than providing a compelling narrative with interesting characters.

Half way through the Star Trek Discovery. I am enjoying it more than I thought I would! This isn't the "normal" Star Trek Picard, Janeway and Sisko but I never thought Kirk fitted their mold either.

Despite the very overt SJW angle, I think its very well written in terms of story and characters so far. In fact, I like all the "main" cast and i don't find any of them annoying etc!

Discovery turned out to be rather interesting for me, once I decided to stop pretending that it is an actual Star trek show. Lorca is by far my favourite person on the show, and I'm wondering if he'll turn out to be Garth from the old series, when this is all over. He most certainly was responsible for where the vessel ended up, I'm guessing he took them all home =)

Discovery turned out to be rather interesting for me, once I decided to stop pretending that it is an actual Star trek show. Lorca is by far my favourite person on the show, and I'm wondering if he'll turn out to be Garth from the old series, when this is all over. He most certainly was responsible for where the vessel ended up, I'm guessing he took them all home =)

I don't believe this show is following Star Trek Prime timeline. I think this is an alternate universe (i.e. spore drive) so in a sense you are right, this isn't Star Trek!

So, what's everyone's opinion on Amazon doing a Lord of the Rings series. I personally can't see the movies needing a remake any time soon. But they did say they would cover unexplored stories as well as spinoffs (Silmarillion?).

I'm dreading what they will do...the Silmarillion etc are more historiess than coherent stories, but there is a treasure trove of material there for a creative director. But as Dart said, it's a risky proposition to be anything but derivative as far as story/tropes go, so I suspect it will be a reskinned version of something that made megabucks. I'd love to see a story about the rise of Sauron and his influence in Numenor etc. Sadly I think what people want ....are hobbits (*nasty hobbitsessss* even)

I don't believe this show is following Star Trek Prime timeline. I think this is an alternate universe (i.e. spore drive) so in a sense you are right, this isn't Star Trek!

On that show, what's with the sudden hiatus?!

I'm not impressed with new Star Trek to be honest. Emotionless, predictable (except I really didn't expect them to kill my fav actress in the prologue), on a brink to be boring.
The only thing that saves it so far is captain's attitude. "Do whatever you need to do, just don't bore me to death with details" - I love it.
But I don't care about any of other characters at all.

About the spore drive, I can't understand why the hell they needed to copypaste banned Osomatsu San visual "WTF have I just watched" style. Yea, this one:

1505448828309829267.gif

Star Trek does that thing like this (spoiler as not everyone saw the show):
test.gif

Dunno. I've expected more from the show.

I'm liking it. A good bit different from the originals and I have the luck overseeing any inconsistencies in any story. It's about space, with warp drives, where every alien looks like a bipedal (aka human). Just go with it.

I'm not too tied to any franchise, so what that it does not bring out the 'feeling'. People are way too nostalgic, it's a nice scifi show.

Similarly for the lotr show I don't have to see any particular event, famous person, etc. it's all made up anyway just give me a polished fantasy show.

I guess we seek different things.

Humanoid aliens was already explained in The Next Generation. I see no problem with that, not sure why are you bringing it up.

Inconsistencies, if you notice any, feel free to forget. Sooner or later showrunners will google those and make some timetravel whatever episode and "fix" it.

The captain nailed the role, I said that above. But the rest of main cast? Sorry, I just don't believe any of what they do (or say). They behave as if they just want to get over with acting and escape wherever, to a local party I guess.
Side cast on the other hand did a fantstic job (Orphan Black's Ferdinand and Juno's Rollo are top notch choices).

And the opening sequence? It's not bad. But is it me or it's the worst Star Trek opening ever? Check yourself:

I wanted a sci fi show where I'll eagerly wait the next episode (or season). So far, Star Trek Discovery failed me. Maybe when it returns from hiatus things roll to the better.

And I thought I'm the biggest graphics whore on this board. :p

I'm dreading what they will do…the Silmarillion etc are more historiess than coherent stories, but there is a treasure trove of material there for a creative director. But as Dart said, it's a risky proposition to be anything but derivative as far as story/tropes go, so I suspect it will be a reskinned version of something that made megabucks. I'd love to see a story about the rise of Sauron and his influence in Numenor etc. Sadly I think what people want ….are hobbits (*nasty hobbitsessss* even)

tumblr_mjv6xnwsgb1s2w0ozo1_500.gif

I'm not impressed with new Star Trek to be honest. Emotionless, predictable (except I really didn't expect them to kill my fav actress in the prologue), on a brink to be boring.
The only thing that saves it so far is captain's attitude. "Do whatever you need to do, just don't bore me to death with details" - I love it.

But I don't care about any of other characters at all..

I agree, Joxer. I find the whole thing as dull as the theme tune. I keep trying to get into it, but within a few minutes my reaction is: "Blah, blah, blah. Nope - I just don't care."

I think it's a good sci-fi series worth watching. However, I just don't think it's a good "Star Trek" series.

Most of the cast of Discovery annoy the beejebus out of me, but I do like the captain and the engineer. I want to like the admiral as well, but seeing as she probably wants to lock up my captain, she and that silly cadet and mutineer could all be jettisoned, imo.

I love TOS season 1, all of TNG, most of Deep Space.

I strongly dislike Voyager - and Enterprise was a big meh.

Discovery is the single worst Star Trek ever. Worse than the new movies. Absolutely atrociously bad.

And the opening sequence? It's not bad. But is it me or it's the worst Star Trek opening ever? Check yourself:

I'm not sure if it's worse than Enterprise - but it's definitely not a Trek opening.

At least it's a lot better than the actual show, though.

Here's hoping The Punisher is decent :)

On the other hand, I'm absolutely tired of all these superhero shows. Couldnt get into any of them since Daredevil season 2.

So I guess I'm more into scifi now, but I do agree with some points on discovery though. There are a couple of characters which I absolutely hate :)

Back
Top Bottom