Driftmoon - Explosions

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
There is a new video for Driftmoon showcasing two new recipes for craftable items (DIY ticker and mana mines) as well as a new monster called Spikey. In Driftmoon you need recipes to create items. There is both alchemy and smithing in the game. I like the little wooden walking bomb. It reminds me a little of the automatons you could create in Arcanum. Here's a snippet and the video:
The first recipe is "My First Ticker Kit". I liked the Ticker monsters so much, that I made it possible for the player to build his/her own Tickers. Once dropped, the Ticker will seek out the nearest enemy and blow up, very useful when you're expecting a fistful of baddies around the next corner.

The second one is the "Mana Mine" recipe. It's a mine that you can deploy anywhere, and lure your enemies into it. Since it's a mine made out of a volatile mana potion, it will also fully recharge the mana of all who get caught in the explosion - including you. That means it's possible to whip up some pretty unorthodox strategies with the Mana Mine.

More information.

More automatons, please. I love a dash of steampunk in my games. Would prefer a whole dollop, but I'll take what I can get. :)

We're all ears if you have any ideas, there's still room for a few more recipes...

This looks like a fun game. I'll be keeping my eye on this one. The animations and magic effects look pretty good. The story also sounds very interesting.

We're all ears if you have any ideas, there's still room for a few more recipes…

I'm just throwing things out there. I have no idea if it is possible with your engine or if it would fit into the setting.

Tesla anything. Tesla rods, Tesla rings, Tesla bodices, Tesla glasses, Tesla tophats. Maybe a high-voltage electro-static hand cannon. Basically anything elctric from a forcefield to Tesla's infamous deathray. You can never go wrong with Tesla :)

Automatons. I'm unsure if this could work in your game since I'm no programmer, but automaton companions are always welcome in my book. Whether they be wood, iron or steel. You sorta have one with the DIY ticker, but he explodes and is gone. Still love that little guy.

Steam powered equipment. Everything from gloves to full body suits of armor. Could increase str and dexterity, but maybe as a drawback it would need maintenance or some kind of alchemical fuel.

Some other things would be equipment based on magnetic fields. Arrow could be deflected or an increased armor class.

Improved armor gadgets. Like upgrading gloves with some kind of metal makes them better in some way. It could be as simple as a stat improvement, weapons skill improvement or even make you swing faster.

Drugs of all kinds. Lots and lots of experimenting going on back then…..still going on, but we have a better grasp of chemicals than they did back then. The wackier the name the better. Maybe some powerful effect, but with drawbacks as well.

Flame-based weapons. Flamethrowers and such. Maybe something like Rammsteins flamethrower gauntlets.

Explosive such as the DIY Ticker. That one is a great start.

Not sure if guns would fit in your world, but that's always another option.

Poisons, respirators to counter the effects of gas, gadgety glasses to increase your sight radios, turn of the century vehicles (if that is possible), clockwork automatons (think of the owl in Clash of the Titans, the original movie not the remake), clockwork anything, stasis field generator, autodoc (an automaton that heals you instead of attacking the enemy), antigravity belt, of course steam powered equipment of all shapes and sizes, gears, zepplins, magnetism, electricity, bombs, chemistry, robots (aka automatons), gunpowder (could be linked in with chemistry), little thing-a-ma-bobs (little machines), mech suits, mirrors that focus the power of the sun, underwater gadgets of all kinds, insanely complex machines are all things associated with steampunk and would be pretty cool inventions in your world.

Here are some excellent gadgets that people really made.

Here's a list of themes associated with steampunk. Turn a boring old magic ring into something interesting by just giving it a theme :)

Thanks for the comprehensive list of ideas Skavenhorde! Nice! I've already added some of them to my todo-list. ;)

Back
Top Bottom