Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey - Begins Kickstarter Campaign

I really don't get this opinion…is a project somehow not worthy of a kickstarter?

Short answer: yes.

Again— loved Longest Journey and Dreamfall, but…

The use of Kickstarter should be for games that wouldn't otherwise be made, which is not the case here. Funcom has the resources, and LJ/DF had the numbers to support a sequel. So just DO it. Don't come out holding your hand pretending like it won't happen without free money.

Ragnar had basically been promising a sequel long before KS ever existed, but instead they went for the MMORPG cash cow (Secret World). Next thing you know, EA will start expecting KS funds to make more of their stuff… Free money is a great strategy when everyone is so willing to give, apparently. Unfortunately it's diluting the pool for those who actually NEED the funds for their work to see the light of day.

Funcom is not making this game, nor were they willing to. That's why it's on Kickstarter, being developed by a different company (former Funcom developers).

If Funcom wanted to make it, they would've done it years ago, before Kickstarter popped up at all. In fact, Funcon is not getting any money from this Kickstarter at all - it's a newly started company, Red Thread Games, that's doing the Kickstarter and developing the game.

Red Thread Games is not Funcom, so they definitely need the funding if they are to develop Dreamfall.

The use of Kickstarter should be for games that wouldn't otherwise be made, which is not the case here. Funcom has the resources, and LJ/DF had the numbers to support a sequel. So just DO it. Don't come out holding your hand pretending like it won't happen without free money.

Ragnar had basically been promising a sequel long before KS ever existed, but instead they went for the MMORPG cash cow (Secret World). Next thing you know, EA will start expecting KS funds to make more of their stuff… Free money is a great strategy when everyone is so willing to give, apparently. Unfortunately it's diluting the pool for those who actually NEED the funds for their work to see the light of day.

Did you have that same opinion when obsidian did it or double fine?

Game is in development without external funds nearly year before this KS.Funcom don't want to fund it because they no longer publish single player games.Even if they where able to get funding from them this is kind of game meant to be without publisher because even in time when Dreamfall published which wasn't ideal,but still better time for adventures than now they had to make some nasty compromises and put in combat and simplify adventure elements.Imagine what would publisher ask now.New TLJ should be without compromises and that can't be done with most publishers.

I'm very interested but I'm not gonna pledge. I just backed a project that untill the last few days didn't seem it was gonna make it - Unwritten: That Which Happened. Although it's possible that game made it because Wildman didn't and people pledging that suddenly had some money left to pledge.

Also being economical I won't back kickstarters that are very certainly gonna make it. (also the reason why I didn't pledge VGHS Season 2).

If it's very likely a kickstarter campaign will meet it's funding goal I don't feel like I'm kickstarting something but rather pre-ordering something. And I keep my pre-ordering to a minimum. If you normally pre-order stuff or the reward is just too good to miss out knock yourself out (I would too).

What bothers me about this Kickstarter is that they obviously don't want to handle physical goods. The prices they're asking for a DVD copy are insane. Replicating a DVD costs 1€ incl. case, inlet and shrinkwrap. 110$ minimum for a physical copy? 30$ addition for a fucking soundtrack CD? Are these guys nuts?

What bothers me about this Kickstarter is that they obviously don't want to handle physical goods. The prices they're asking for a DVD copy are insane. Replicating a DVD costs 1€ incl. case, inlet and shrinkwrap. 110$ minimum for a physical copy? 30$ addition for a fucking soundtrack CD? Are these guys nuts?

Well some might argue that it's not about goods it's about supporting project and goods.Personally I see KS as businesses not charity so I agree that those prices are bit rude,I am interested in collectors edition with soundtrack disc but that is just too much I will definitively consider it if they lower it.

Yes, I find this a bit one-sided. I'll probably buy it in a sale down the line.
They can't lower it without pissing off existing supporters.

Did you have that same opinion when obsidian did it or double fine?

In the case of Obsidian, no. But I think starting an entirely new IP (Project Eternity) in a "risky" genre is a bit different than making a sequel to an already fairly successful franchise (Longest Journey)-- at least successful enough to justify a sequel without free money.

In the case of Obsidian, no. But I think starting an entirely new IP (Project Eternity) in a "risky" genre is a bit different than making a sequel to an already fairly successful franchise (Longest Journey)— at least successful enough to justify a sequel without free money.

There are projects that could certainly get publisher funding in more or less intact form and you found to rant about one that could get seriously damaged by publisher interference(again remember Dreamfall) in genre that is not very profitable especially for something of TLJ scale with full VA.TLJ series was successful but those times where different.

Back
Top Bottom