Do you 3D

Nope, I don't really like how 3D looks and even had I, I wouldn't have ever been able to enjoy it. I suffer from a condition called Chronic Daily Migraine Headaches {you can read about them from that link if you want}

I've had a continuous migraine for the better part of the past 24 years of my 34 yr lifetime, and they're getting worse every year. Anyway, 3D supposedly causes mild headaches as reported by quite a few people, and when I got to try it out once it made me damn near pass out. The escalated pain I experienced will never make me put on those glasses again...

Wow, my wife gets occasional migraines and has to go to bed with the room completely dark to sleep it off. (and no it's not always right after I ask for sex :lol:) I can't imagine getting them everyday.

Ow, nasty!

Bad 3D typically gives people headaches, especially if you sit so close to the screen that you get divergence (objects being further apart than your eyes, thus appearing to be more-than-infinitely-far-away). This is likely something very different. No clue what that might be but I sure wouldn't want to experiment to find out.

I'm playing The Old Republic on 3d. Some of my weekend sessions are in the 2 digit range in hours, with the 3d glasses, and the only problem I experience was on my nose, supporting those glasses for 10 hours is painful (until I put some cloth cushions there, now I can play in 3d forever and not notice it)

<shrug> I stick with the monitors myself. The TVs can't do 1920x1080 at more than 24Hz. It's a limit of the HDMI cable technology.

<shrug> I stick with the monitors myself. The TVs can't do 1920x1080 at more than 24Hz. It's a limit of the HDMI cable technology.

Uh? So low fraterates with 3D in Full HD? I have everything connected to my TV in the living room. I still only have a 37" 720p TV now. But I was thinking it might be nice to upgrade.

Having to play all games at 24Hz when I want to do 3D sounds like shit, though.

Yeah, it was a rather sad move by the industry big wigs when they designed the latest version of HDMI. I guess they figured that was all that movies needed so why do anything more? It might not be QUITE as bad as all that, though. I think it would be showing 24Hz to each eye but it's alternating between right and left eyes so your brain is getting 48 per second. I've got no clue if that actually matters or not but there it is.

I'm not sure how much content there is yet for 3D on the TV. I keep hearing about all these different formats. I'm not sure if TVs have starting figuring out how to decode each other's formats or if BluRay players can translate or what. Is there another VCR/Betamax style fight over standards brewing?

3D monitors are up to 27" now.

I did read something on the nVidia forums about being able to do 1080p@60Hz with a EDID override, or something. Don't know if that'd work or with what hardware.

The head mounted things do look very very interesting. They are going to need two screens that are really lightweight and have a huge number of pixels per square inch. If they can make it work for a sane price, though.... <drool>

I got my kid a 3DS and he showed me a few minutes of Zelda. I though I was going to vomit. Instant vertigo! Neat effect but clearly not for me.

I got my kid a 3DS and he showed me a few minutes of Zelda. I though I was going to vomit. Instant vertigo! Neat effect but clearly not for me.
On that tiny screen? I wouldn't have expected that. Oh well, sorry to hear it messes with you.

If those glasses work well, I'm gonna have to buy them! But I expect the experience to be less than stellar, really… And eh, what is the connection to the video source? Some sort of wireless HDMI? Anything short of light and wireless will simply not do.

my problem with 3D is that's a really 'fake' kind of 3D - I have looked at quite a few stereoscopic/shutter systems in the past, watched 3d movies etc. They all look ... wrong. I find my eyes get very tired quickly and I have to concentrate and the effect is quasi-3d as far as my brain is concened. I have seen some true 3D displays (which you can walk around) but they are expensive, unwieldy and not exactly high fidelity.

Your problem is you're looking at bad 3D content. It's impossible to make a movie with good depth and play it in a theater. The depth will still look weak to everyone in the back of the theater and, in the front of the theater, it will be outright broken because of divergence.

3D works much better if the 3D content is made with a specific distance in mind. Unfortunately, people are used to being able to view movies and TV shows at all sorts of distances in theaters and in homes. That makes life difficult for those sorts of content.

Games, however, are another matter entirely. Instead of having to figure out all the 3D stuff before sending the content out to the masses, games can do all that an instant before sending it to the display device. The viewer can adjust to configuration to work for wherever he/she is sitting. That makes it easy to give everything in the game serious depth.

I always looked at 3D as a stupid gimmick that I could never take seriously. However, reading some of the responses in this thread, maybe I need to crawl out of my cave and give it a shot sometime. Maybe my next television will be a 3DTV. I imagine Skyrim in 3D is probably pretty amazing, right?

With Beth games the 3D is always at first a bit messed up. Especially with the sky and/or water. There are things you can do to fix this, but the best way is to wait for someone to mod a fix. I've played Fallout 3, NV, Morrowind and Oblivion in 3D and loved it (especially Morrowind), but Fallout 3 had to be fixed with a mod before it was bearable to look at the sky.

3D is great in games but as for TV shows and movies... I'm not real convinced yet. So much of that 3D is just 2D done over by a computer to try and figure out how it should look in 3D. Cameras seem to be getting into it, though.

Back
Top Bottom