Dark Souls - 75% Off On Steam

Get DSMfix and DSfix and make sure they work properly.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dark_Souls:_Prepare_to_Die_Edition

They do not work with the current Steam version, you have to here http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/1mke6z/i_managed_to_isolate_and_restore_the_4_files_that/
and replace the files with the old ones. Otherwise, the two fixes won't work! (they haven't been updated and may not be, ever)

The cursor will be gone, and it'll be 100 times easier to control everything. You can reassign keys, too (I use Mouse 3 and 4 to block and parry). You can also make the graphics the right resolution with the mods.

I suggest reading the wiki now and again for things you might have missed, watching boss kill vids if you get stuck, and keeping in mind that it's no big deal to lose souls in general, they can be gathered easily. Spend them whenever you can in the beginning.

There are also maps here, but they are somewhat spoilery:
http://www.kouryakubo.com/darksouls_en/

Edit: If you wanna coop well, you just need DSCfix (see first link above). You need some help, PM me for my GFWL ID.

You will definitely reach the point where this is no longer the case. Basic enemies in later areas can easily kill you if you let your guard down, and there are a number of areas where the killing the boss is easier then surviving all the enemies and other obstacles leading up to him.

Good to know, it will definitely make the game feel less grindy and make you be doubly careful not to get killed.

Guess I better make most of my experimentation and fooling around while the fooling is good then ;)

Well confession time ;)

Having done a complete 180 from my initial lukewarm impression (due to the bad port and the grinding/checkpoint saves elements that I usually detest in games) I have to admit I am totally engrossed in this game now.

I gotta give it to the people praising it, you guys were right, Dark souls is a great game. Haven't been that immersed in a game since the first Witcher and that is saying something, as in addition to the existence of elements I don't like (not gonna bitch about them anymore feels petty ;) ) I have played some pretty damn good (and much better from the rpg aspect) RPGs since then…

Its just that the almost flawlessly executed combat system the excellent level design, open ended exploration and the great grim atmosphere (yeah, wrestling with the controls and game design impacted that in the start but wait until you get 15 hours or so in and visit 3-4 more locations) coupled with the very delicately and indirectly (almost in an implied way) served lore create an experience with a character completely its own. If anything this game reminds me of the Gothics in this aspect.

There must be something to these 75% sales just before you start hyping your #2 game in the series after all ;) Although hearing how they are putting their priority heavily in Multiplayer (and I play exclusively offline), I think I'll let you veterans put DS2 through its paces before actually investing in it :)

Back
Top Bottom