Wiz8 debate

I'm running a fighter, priest, bishop, ninja, mage and alchemist. Probably magic heavy, but I'm mainly using the priest and bishop as front level fighters. Not sure whether to change the Alc to a Bard; I've only just reached the Arnika road!! Level 7 for most.

Wouldn't make any class change at level 7, but that's just me. Faerie ninja aiming for the CoC? I've never taken an alchy all the way to the end. They get some pretty cool high level spells, although I never found tossing powders to be reliable enough to risk the backfire.

Certainly a FN, not just sure whether an alchy is good value with a ninja as well; I forgot they eventually get alchy magic!! Last time I used a Bard and Mook Ranger, so I was trying something different!!

Gidday, nice to read some posts about Wiz8, like others makes me want to play again.

Have anyone played the Wiz 8 mods - Deathstalkers_Wiz8Mod, Flames final mod or Flames new mod? What are they like, worth checking out.

What are the old Wiz8 development staff up to these days?

THanks for any answers
cheers
Nutman

They get some pretty cool high level spells, although I never found tossing powders to be reliable enough to risk the backfire.

I love my alchemist! They're great! like you said dte.. the high level spells are really cool. Besides you never have to worry about being silenced!

@nutman- welcome to the boards! I don't remember where all the team landed, but a couple years ago Brenda posted somewhere that everyone had found jobs in the industry although not all with the same company. She pointed out that meant it was highly unlikely the team could be reassembled for a Wiz9. As for the mods, I've heard good things about Deathstalkers and excellent things about Flamestryke's newest verstion. I haven't tried any of them. I've always been nervous about using mods (other than for MW, which was designed to be modded). Using wizfast was actually a great leap of faith for me. Yeah, I'm old and kooky. ;)

I don't have much motivation to stick with an alchy since I always take a ranger and usually use him as my potion mixer. I push him hard to 50 skill points so I can do one highly profitable mix, but don't use it enough after that to get much above 75. Most of the time, I get my first taste of the good spells right around the endgame. I took a psionic as far as the Rapax Rift. That was fun playing with that spell book. Although I'm not big on spellcasting in any RPG, Wiz8 did a great job of forcing you to explore a variety of spells rather than just tossing endless fireballs.

HI, thanks for the welcome. Can you install wizfast at any stage during the game?
I wonder if they will ever release the source code for Wiz8?
cheers
Nutman

Can you install wizfast at any stage during the game?

Yes, but you dont really install it, you just execute the program and decide what level of fastness you want (you'll want the last one).

It seems all the old walkthru and map sites have disappeared for the most part. I could only find 1 decent one and even it was limited. Perhaps we could host/post copies of the old classics if anyone still has copies.

Corwin I imagine there were indeed a lot more sites early on, and perhaps better ones, but here are a few links to the ones I've leaned on-
(These have all been posted in this thread or another, but thought it might be helpful to put them in one place.)

general purpose, with a good map section:
http://www.flamestryke.com/wizardry8/flamestrykes_w8.html

mods and spreadsheets:
http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie/

character builds-I think dte shared this one
[url]http://www.geocities.com/jandrall/[/URL]
and from Cormac:
http://www.just-rpg.com/default.asp?pid=49

and of course, the infamous gamefaqs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/374906.html

You'll note, there is a solo fairy ninja guide at the latter--like you need one.;)

It seems all the old walkthru and map sites have disappeared for the most part. I could only find 1 decent one and even it was limited. Perhaps we could host/post copies of the old classics if anyone still has copies.

Maybe the sites can be found in the internet archive. If you can track down the owners you can ask them if we can mirror their content.

You just need to run it again and bring the speed to 1X.

That was the only good one I'd found still active from the first time I played the game!! :)

gah, everytime a post comes up about this game I feel the need to reroll. If not for this game the disappointment of the M&M franchise would have been too much for me...

Back
Top Bottom