Eador – Masters Of The Broken World

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Erador Masters of the Broken World is a Strategy/RPG title from Snowbird. It's the sequel to the original Erador. RPS has a preview of this good game enjoy.
Eador: Masters of the Broken World will be released into our very own fractured realm later this month and I’ve spent a few hours with a preview copy and had many of my expectations defied. Is it more of a King’s Bounty than a hero’s swordsmanship and spell-biffing, or is it something entirely different? I’m still not entirely sure, but I’m looking forward to finding out.

The particular way in which Eador’s world is broken does not involve a history of imperialism, and a present of corporate colonialism and financial malfeasance. More accurately, I should say that it may well involve some of those things, but the bigger issue is one of total physical collapse. The place has done a magicsplode and is separated into shards, each now adrift in space and glittering like a jewel, presenting just the sort of challenge that demands the conquering attentions of some sort of strategic master of magic.

It’s a far more ambitious game than I expected going in and each part is appealing, but it’s also difficult to understand the thing in its entirety without more time at the table. The preview code isn’t complete (nor, I should add, does it represent the current state of the game this close to release), particularly in the campaign mode, and the biggest queries I have are to do with the progression through a full journey across the broken world. Will the sense of achievement be maintained as map after map is uncovered and controlled? Will there be a fitting sense of escalation as the other Masters are encountered and crushed? I’ll revisit as soon as all of the pieces are in place.
Remember Eador: Masters of the Broken World is out on April 19th. Preordering from Steam or GoG.com provides a copy of Eador: Genesis.

More information.

Just the game I was longing for. big thank you for the news because I didn't know of its existence.

Preordeded about 10 days ago so... :)
There.

Preordeded about 10 days ago so… :)
There.

I blame the other news editors.:lol: I figured we cover Expeditions: Conquistador why not Eador. It's not to late for new buyers though. There is still four days left.

With this,EU 4, Age of wonders 3(both expected in Q3),Dragon commander and Conquistador it appears this will be another great year for strategies.

I though Eador:Genesis had a good game with a ton of potential. It had a few flaws though, which I felt kept it from being a true classic. But I'm really curious to see where Broken World takes things, and how similar it is to Genesis.

Also preordered. My only question is if you lose that feeling of building a powerful empire because of the fractured world and having to, essentially, start over for every "level."

I didn't know Age of Wonders 3 was coming out this year. Nice. One more game I'll have to buy without the time to actually play it. This year is going to be huge for games for me. Thanks, Kickstarter. :)

Edit: A standalone expansion for Fallen Entantress is also due out next month. Got to admire how they continue to hammer away at that game. I haven't played my copy for real, but I may get the expansion to see if they've gotten it right yet.

Also preordered. My only question is if you lose that feeling of building a powerful empire because of the fractured world and having to, essentially, start over for every "level."

Yes indeed you have to re-start from scratch in every shard. The campaign progress is characterize by acquiring knowledge of new buildings, some bonuses (including a few artifacts) and guards, and of course by the progress of the story (which is surprisingly good). You can also have a few buildings already up at the start of a new shard, provided you have enough resources (energy).

The fact is that there are so many ways to accomplish similar goals, and the randomization of each shard make them so unique, that I did not perceive that as a problem (I am currently in my third campaign with Genesis and played almost entirely a campaign in the MofBW beta).

Also, in the new game shards have different 'attributes', so you now must change strategy from shard to shard to avoid defeat. For more info, you can watch the wonderful YouTube series by Boris Hacker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlnvuSV-8sY

In Genesis I found unlocking new buildings and starting over every time to try different strategies with what you just unlocked to be the best part of the game. Because every "space" represents a whole region, the whole giant epic empire thing was maintained pretty well.

The downside though, at least from my perspective, was that as the shards got bigger it could get really tedious to conquer them. This was especially true when the enemy was given immediate access to high level guards and could field advanced garrisons for every space you had to conquer, sometimes more advanced then any troops you had access to on the map. This could make conquest needlessly long and tedious even when you already had an overwhelming advantage.

But hopefully it will be better in the sequel.

That all sounds very encouraging. Thanks. Glad I preordered it a week or so ago. The price was right, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom