Diablo 3 - Blizzard Acquires diablo3.com

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I guess this was what that countdown was for?
Well, there's no point in beating around the bush any longer, so let's get right down to it. A few months ago we were contacted by Blizzard in regards to the Diablo3.com domain name. While they appreciate all the work that's been put into running this big Diablo fan community over the years, they still want the domain name. Hmm, I wonder why? Now before you get all up in arms about it, allow me to explain a few things.

First off, this fan site isn't going anywhere, it's just getting a new name: Diablofans.com! Blizzard is actually being really cool about it, giving us all the time we need to make it a smooth transition before we hand the old domain over to them. So be sure to update all of your bookmarks and point 'em to diablofans.com instead. Your user accounts will all still be perfectly functional and, along with this new site name, we'll soon have a big site redesign up and running as well. A new name, a new look. Huzzah!
More information.

Thought this would be what was happening. While it's not an official announcement of D3, it's more or less announcing that it's coming.

Why don't they just call themselves "devilfans" ? <_<

I never liked the name of this game.

Not to mention that almost all RPGs have something rather dark and occult in their names, including words like "chaos" and "hero".

Sort of an unannounced announcement not announcing Diablo 3. Blizzard is definitely approaching this ...subtly. :)

@ Alrik:Well, the whole thrust of the game is how evil the "devil" is, and how he must be slain, eradicated and wiped off the face of the earth to win the game--which is easier said than done, so it isn't really a "devil-worshipping" game--that would be Overlord I think. ;)

This might be a good time to consider investing in the "Diablo4" domain name.

Some gaming news sites are reporting that Blizzard "purchased" the diablo3.com domain from me. This is not the case. As I stated in the above post, if it was my intention to make a profit off of the domain, I could've sold it years ago, but I didn't. When Blizzard spoke to me about their interest in the domain, I was happy to give it to them since they had no problems with us moving the site to diablofans.com and will now be working more closely with us in the future. So yeah, I just wanted to clear that up... there is no monetary exchange taking place, I'm simply giving Blizzard the diablo3 domain.

http://teachpol.tcnj.edu/amer_pol_hist/fi/00000002.htm

This guy honestly think he is being altruistic?

Altruistic? Where did he say that? They asked, he gave it. He's a fan, so why the hell not? He got a big bonus in relations with Blizzard as a result, 's all a fan would want.

What's wrong with a little altruism anyway?

Just don't tell Ayn Rand.

He got a big bonus in relations with Blizzard as a result, 's all a fan would want.

Eeeh? Maybe I'm just not that big of a fan of anything, but I'd much rather take some money. I'm sure he could've gotten at least... actually, I've no idea - what's a domain like that worth?

Eeeh? Maybe I'm just not that big of a fan of anything, but I'd much rather take some money. I'm sure he could've gotten at least... actually, I've no idea - what's a domain like that worth?

The domain is worth quite a buck. How much? Hell if I know, the domain trade business is getting shadier by the minute.

But money simply isn't the dominant factor for many people. It can be outweighted by other factors easily, and that includes being a fan.

I hate to say it but despite the good gesture the guy is indeed a schmuck. Look at it this way, do you think Blizzard would ever give away something for free?

Idea!

Blizzard already has the diablo domain names up to Diablo7. Seriously. :p
They didn't have Diablo3.com, because it was purchased in 1998 by the guy who owned it until now.

I'm registering Diablo8 - Diablo99. I'll deed them to a trust and provide for generations of my descendents.

If I ever stop playing PC games long enough to have kids.

I'm registering Diablo8 - Diablo99. I'll deed them to a trust and provide for generations of my descendents.

If I ever stop playing PC games long enough to have kids.

They may be your distant descendants, if the wait for Diablo 3 is anything to go by. ;)

Back
Top Bottom