The Science Thread

Ladies and gentleman I present the strangest looking crab that ever lived.

$

Link - https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/25/us/chimera-crab-fossil-trnd-scn/index.html

I wonder how many of them lost their eyes….

Wow that is strange but looks cute though. Love all that archaeological stuff!

I think I have the doggie gene. I don't like to drop the bone once I've got hold of it. :p

A bit far-fetched with no evidence, if you ask me.

Yes, I wouldn't disagree. But I don't mind a bit of radical thinking, so long as the article makes things clear.

Sounds exciting. I've always had a fascination for the giant moons and their mysteries. Sooner or later we're going to find the obelisk that's going to give us a much needed shove in the right direction.

Our day and night temp for June was broken a few days ago. Another hot one coming up today.

Yes, I read that as well. It's really becoming horrible now.

I saw a documentary about BBC wildlife expert Chris Packham, and his life with Asperger's. I recommend it as a worthwhile watch, even if you're not particularly interested in the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjdEJdr-vfs

A few days ago I thought :

Scientists sometimes refer to "Chance" or "randomness". Or "luck".
Or "Zufall", as we call it here in Germany.

They say that some things have randomness in them. Events always have a randomness factor. Like in "God doesn't throw dice" or how that saying of Einstein went like … "yes, God does !" is the usual reply of scientists.

And so, i thought : If there is "real randomness" out there - then it must have been there from the big bang on.
And therefore ot must be a cosmic constant. Just give it a letter, and include it into calculations just to show that it is there, this "randomness".

Maybe this cosmic constant was there defining whther matter and anti-matter would be there in equal numbers or not ?

The only other logic I can think of is that of a "developing universe" or "universe evolution", in which not everything is set in stone since the big bang. In this case, early laws of physics must have been different than they are now. And if this i true - who says that this development has stopped now ?

A side-question just popped up : What happens if anti-matter goes into a Black Hole ? Does it evoke a Big Bang ?

Yikes, you're getting into deep territory there, Alrik. The question of the nature of randomness, and whether true randomness exists, gets right down to some big questions of philosophy. The degree to which randomness could be considered its own entity, as opposed to simply the way we perceive certain phenomena - you tell me! :p

With regard to antimatter falling into a black hole, I think it would probably just meet some regular matter and annihilate - some fireworks (which we couldn't see), but still a tiny drop compared to the energies involved in some cosmic events, and the rest of what's going on inside the black hole.

Back
Top Bottom