Encased - Hotfix 3 Introduces Custom Portraits

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest hotfix for Encased includes many fixes and adds the ability to add custom portraits.

More than two weeks have passed since Encased came out. We are continuing to actively work on the game and develop additional content (which we will announce separately), finalize controversial issues and, of course, read your reports and fix bugs.

However, today's hotfix is ​​special: not only have we eliminated a number of problems, but we've also added the function that you have been asking for - the ability to select a custom portrait for the protagonist. The game supports * .jpg and * .png formats, however, we recommend using * .png with transparency so that the background of the location is displayed behind your character's back.

Warning: fix descriptions may contain plot spoilers!

[...]
More information.

Oh glad I waited for the custom portrait, been wanting that! Now I can make some using FO4 as the image generator.

@Redglyph; - Do you know what size the portraits need to be and where they go? I asked on the Discord but no one has answered.

Waaaaait a minute! You can't be putting new features in a hotfix! That's a PATCH, that is!!

I'm reporting this to the appropriate United Nations committees. Expect a NASTY reprimand on or about the first quarter of 2033, Dark Crystal!

Waaaaait a minute! You can't be putting new features in a hotfix! That's a PATCH, that is!!

I'm reporting this to the appropriate United Nations committees. Expect a NASTY reprimand on or about the first quarter of 2033, Dark Crystal!

Zloth for shame. 2033? The first resolution to support the issue will almost be concluded by that stage. 2053 is the best we can manage.

They made Sparrow ambiguous on purpose. Ugh. Let's put it this way, they won't be in my party ever, and if they had a good weapon (to loot), I'm glad you can kill your companions…:p

Anyway, glad to see they are adding a way to get new portraits in the game. Looking forward to more niceties like this in the future.

Hotfix, roadmap… what with the vocabulary all of a sudden? :lol:

@Redglyph; - Do you know what size the portraits need to be and where they go? I asked on the Discord but no one has answered.
It's 256x256, and the format is either .jpg or .png (you can use transparency with .png if you want).

The portraits must be in that directory, but the game will show you the path when you create your character and ask for a custom portrait:

{Encased dir}\Encased_Data\CustomPortraits\

where {Encased dir} is by default under the Stream installation directory, something like …\Steam\steamapps\common\Encased

I'd rather have that in the user setting directory, but there you are…

Their saved file format is unknown to me, so I'm not sure if that's easy to modify the portrait of existing games.

Last edited:
Sparrow is meant be ambiguous, they are a trans character.
Hey Mercy, looking forward to your opinion on this!

Back
Top Bottom