View Single Post

May 4th, 2013, 23:31
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Don't you mean it doesn't break immersion for YOU?

You know that players are running around doing exactly the same world-changing events as you are - and you can often SEE them doing it. Dozens of people running along the exact same path as you - killing the exact same mobs for the exact same reason.

I've gotten used to it, partially, but it's still an immersion-breaker from time to time.

It's key to appreciate that other people respond differently to these things without them being wrong about it.
Yes, I meant it doesn't break immersion for me, but I thought that was implied. Anywho…

Yes, they are technically doing the same things you are, but how do you know that? Yes, you occasionally see people around, talking to the same NPCs as you, killing the same enemies, exploring the same locations, but you don't know WHY they are doing those things. They could be freelance mercenaries working for some new employer. They could be harvesting hides. Maybe they're talking to that NPC about something completely different. You just have to use your imagination a little .

I feel LOTRO is one of the most immersive experiences I've had in gaming, yet there's hundreds of other people running around. Maybe I'm just able to use my imagination well, but that's how it works for me.

A more direct example. I'm currently in the Mines of Moria in LOTRO. I see other players on their goats riding around all the time. So what? The dwarves have simply hired some people to help them retake the mines. Very simple to get past and not breaking immersion at all.

Deleted User

Mentioned: Post(s)