The Outer Worlds - Coming to Steam October 23rd

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that The Outer Worlds will be coming to Steam October 23rd.

Obsidian Entertainment has recently announced that The Outer Worlds is coming to Steam. The first-person action-RPG will release on Steam on October 23th. The Outer Worlds has been for almost a year exclusive to the Epic Games Store, and of course the Microsoft Store.

[...]
More information.

Im playing this now, game is not that good; starts very well but the more you advance, the more boring it gets, everything is mostly the same.

Anyway, they should make this free on steam, they got enough from epicshitstore.

Im playing this now, game is not that good; starts very well but the more you advance, the more boring it gets, everything is mostly the same.

Anyway, they should make this free on steam, they got enough from epicshitstore.

I regret buying this game honestly. Couldn't play for more than 6 hours. Very boring. Obsidian made some of my favorites cRPGs (NWN2, F:NV), I don't know what is up with their most recent titles (e.g. Tyranny, Outer Worlds) that they are extremely boring...

Im nearing 20h now, exploration is total garbage, i think that makes it boring for me; there is 0 incentive to explore since nothing interesting is to be found, and the areas overall are just simple. Also there is 0 survival, i got a million ammo, lockpicks, hackpicks and weapons since there are a billion of lootable boxed everywhere. Instead, the writing is great and i fully enjoy talking to npcs, thankfully, half of the game time is talking.

I enjoyed this game a lot although not as much as other Obsidian games. I am on my second play through now with a melee focused non-charisma based character along with the new DLC.

I found the exploration lacking as well and also felt too much stuff to loot. But I like the setting, the story, the companions, the writing, and the general atmosphere, so the able to look past the few cons I had.

I also adored Tyrrany - have played it thought three times now. Really felt that was a fun game myself.

Yes well I've enjoyed every Obsidian game so yes taste differ my fellow watchers. :p

Like wolfgrimdark I agree the setting, the story, the companions, and the writing are the usual Obsidian, but the lack of exploration, and item variety are the negatives.

So yes you can look past the negatives and still find an enjoyable game.:nod:

I had mixed feelings throughout TOW, but I was mostly disappointed in the end. The concept was good, but the execution was mediocre at best. It's a shame because I really like the overall style, especially the art direction.

It would be great if someone could make a good hardcore overhaul mod for it. Reduce the loot and ammo by around 50%, make enemies less bullet-spongy, etc. It wouldn't make up for all of the game's shortcomings, but it would go a long way to making it more enjoyable to me.

I was mildly interested in this when It launched and probably would have picked it up if it had been on steam.

A year later after reading many comments on it and I think I'll pass on it all together.

I liked it but then again, I think I've liked everything Obsidian has ever made. That said, it's not a classic or anything like that but it was fun.

I enjoyed it for what it was, but I got bored, too, and didn't finish it. I think if you acceot it for what it is, an RPG "lite," the game is fine, and plenty of folks will enjoy it, even if I didn't quite make it to the end. :)

I liked it. I agree with folks that there's far too much loot and that exploration is lacking. I also agree that the writing, quests, setting and characters are by and large well done and quite a bit of fun. I enjoyed the combat and the weapon variety, for the most part. Overall, it was a package good enough to get me to finish it and play again recently to do the Peril on Gorgon DLC.

As far as Tyranny goes, sadly I'm in the found-it-boring group. I liked it at first as the world was being introduced but I soon found it repetitive, with a lot of the same exposition over and over, and some very clumsy writing and unsubtle characters who represent positions and types rather than people. Combat was boring too, as I recall, though the magic system was interesting. I think ultimately I got ~10 hours into it and have never felt compelled to revisit.

They went borderlands style with the loot, a gazillion boxes everywhere, that's why i started looting just the locked ones after a while; if this had the survival feeling from Elex from example, if would have been great. Im on Gorgon now, and at least that area is enjoyable.

Im on Gorgon now, and at least that area is enjoyable.
Probably has to do with the DLC having a different team.

Directing The Outer Worlds narrative expansion The Peril on Gorgon - Gamasutra
While Obsidian gears up on new games like Grounded and Avowed, it hasn't turned away from last year's standout hit The Outer Worlds. This month saw the release of Peril on Gorgon, a new DLC adventure for the developer's capitalistic dystopian RPG.

To lead up this DLC, Obsidian tapped lead narrative designer Carrie Patel, who took over game directing duties from Leonard Boyarsky and Tim Cain. It's a huge task for any game developer to take the role, since it often involves a move into leadership over departments they weren't previously involved in.

I rushed it today cause i was getting really bored and finished it at lev 32; what a surprise, even the ending was boring lol, went the evil way since i gave 0 fucks for no one.

I enjoyed it ... well, definitely more than pretty much everyone here. I agree it is small and limited in scope and scale, but if you like what you get - you will love it, and if not you will hate it (thanks Cpt Obvious!).

Agree with the “F the EGS sentiment” - sure I will keep racking up free games, but I hated supporting one of the worst companies in gaming with my purchase (now they have moved from making Steam look like saints to making Apple and Google seem like sympathetic characters).

As noted I played the Switch version as well - and that has still only gotten a single ‘hotfix’ with no line of sight to actually dealing with all of the issues. My review actually recommended against buying it even though I love the game (you have to alter your play style to accommodate technical issues with the Switch port). Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom