Banner Saga 3 - Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Banner Saga 3 has been released on Steam and GOG to positive reviews.

About This Game

THE GAME

Banner Saga 3 is the epic conclusion to a sweeping viking saga six years in the making. This strategic RPG, acclaimed for its strong story and compelling characters has has won over 20 awards and been nominated for 4 BAFTA awards.

As the world crumbles around you, how will you survive when the Darkness draws near, and who will you trust with the fate of the world?

FEATURES

• A cast of powerful characters - In the final chapter of the Banner Saga, guide more than 40 heroes to survive against the toughest odds yet, many old and familiar faces, and some new allies you’ve never met before, including powerful menders and, for the first time, playable dredge. Just remember that nobody is safe.
  • Decisions matter - Determine the fate of your travel-weary allies with a multitude of outcomes truly tailored to the decisions you make- not just here, but carried over from previous games in the trilogy as well. Nothing is unimportant. Nothing is forgotten.
  • Finely-tuned tactical combat - in a series known for innovative combat, this chapter delivers more unique and custom battles than ever before, from disturbing new warped enemies and multi-wave combat to unique and powerful heroic titles for allies that can turn the tide of battle.
  • A timeless art style - the gorgeous landscapes and animation of the Banner Saga are at their best in Banner Saga 3. Explore unimaginable vistas warped in strange and beautiful ways by the Darkness, and more fully-animated story moments than both the previous games combined.
  • An epic soundtrack - composed by Grammy-nominated composer Austin Wintory, this final full-length score, recorded by a live orchestra, concludes the trilogy on a high note.
  • Play it again - experience the trilogy as it was meant to played. Import your saves from one game to the next and discover a wealth of new an unexpected outcomes from decisions both large and small.
THE END HAS COME

As the Darkness covers the land, the end has truly come. Now it is up to you and the survivors who have travelled so far from home. The Banner Saga 3 brings closure as all is finally revealed in the definitive conclusion to the award-winning Banner Saga trilogy.

Rally your allies, steel your resolve and push into the wind!
More information.

https://techraptor.net/content/banner-saga-3-release-date
Indie game developer Stoic has announced the release date for the third installment into their turn-based RPG series Banner Saga. Banner Saga 3 will launch July 24, 2018, for PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. Mobile platforms are expected to launch later on in the year.
Although, switch is kinda mobile platform, right?

I might have to buy these on the phone… I did enjoy Banner Saga on the PC when it was released, but never got around to picking up the 2nd, too little time and to many games. On the phone I might find the time though. Just have to finish Chrono Trigger first… (which I started yesterday).

Seems to be getting decent reviews - currently 84% on Metacritic. I don't like the sound of the timer mechanic in combat that spawns fresh enemy waves though. I'd be interested to hear what folk here think of it.

Seems to be getting decent reviews - currently 84% on Metacritic. I don't like the sound of the timer mechanic in combat that spawns fresh enemy waves though. I'd be interested to hear what folk here think of it.

No, that doesn't sound fun too me. I hope the timer is based on turns and not actual time? In that case I can see it adding something interesting, forcing you to make quicker kills.

Yeah I'm not a fan of more opposition popping up during the battles, never cared for that at all. It completely destroys most of the tactical value of a game for me, and once it happens I mentally start abusing the product. =xxxx

Just download it and will play it after I finish part 2.

It is ok for the most part. I suppose if I was playing at the hardest level I would barf but I'm playing on the middle level. I suspect I'm 1/3 to 1/2 done but not sure. Anyway you can always 'flee' if you beat the first wave. If it truely becomes problematic there is an easier level that is pretty easy.

If the timer is based on turns then it's fine. I welcome more challenge.

I'm only about two hours or so through it, but I'm quite enjoying what little I've seen.

Regarding the timer mechanic; I'm not really finding it an issue (I'm playing on hard), as it only occurs on certain battles, and most of the time I've been able to easily take down the first wave without really thinking about the timer (barring one battle where it came pretty close to the wire, and I had to get pretty tactical about downing the enemies before the timer ran out; otherwise it's not really been something I've been too concerned with). If you do take down the first wave before the timer runs out, you can choose whether to end the battle there, or fight on; if you choose the latter, you're able to swap out party members and replace downed or near-downed members with fresh ones, not to mention you can get extra loot if you manage to take down the miniboss, as well as getting more renown in general for the extra enemies you defeat. Note; you're only able to choose whether or not to fight and prepare a new lineup only if you take out the first wave before the timer runs out; fail that, and you're in for a world of hurt.

I think it works fairly well (from what little of it I've seen) as a risk/reward sort of mechanic. Do you risk potentially getting more members injured, or possibly losing the battle entirely, for the sake of extra renown and an item? This is pretty critical in hard difficulty, when getting certain heavy-hitters injured is fairly debilitating, particularly when you can't rest between some battles in certain situations, not to mention the derth of supplies in the early game makes resting somewhat precarious.

Honestly, the major consideration for me in my playthrough has mainly revolved around how I compose my lineup for the battles, as well as managing the injuries that naturally get accrued (I typically resort to mixing my usual party members with ones that I didn't normally use, so I have some stronger ones at the ready for any battles that still lie between now and when I can finally get my group rested up.)

No, that doesn't sound fun too me. I hope the timer is based on turns and not actual time? In that case I can see it adding something interesting, forcing you to make quicker kills.

It operates on turns, so you don't have anything to worry about on that end.

Every time I see some tactical RPG no matter how good I remember Final Fantasy Tactics and I realize, that game will never be overcome and will remain forever the best in her genre... At least for me. :)

You are correct, Ogre Tactics and Final Fantasy tactics are among two of the very best of the genre. I keep hoping we'll see a continuation of either, but no such luck yet, if we're lucky with the current trend perhaps these two fine games will grace our computers at some point in the future.

I'm only about two hours or so through it, but I'm quite enjoying what little I've seen...

Ok, thanks for the detailed response. That doesn't sound so bad. I'll pick it up at some point and do a complete run of the trilogy (I have the first two on Steam already, just been waiting for this one!).

So it sounds to me that the time mechanic/additional opposition is a purely optional choice? In that case, assuming that is true, I'd have no issue at all with it, matter of fact more options are usually a good thing, in my book.

Back
Top Bottom