Mechajammer - Released

Redglyph

SasqWatch
Whalenought Studios and Modern Wolf have just released Mechajammer on GOG and Steam.

Today's the day. Mechajammer is OUT NOW!

The dankest, grimiest cyberpunk CRPG launches on Steam.

The jungle colony of Calitana might be a dark cesspit of corruption and villainy, but today the sun is shining. Today is a bright, glorious day. Today, Mechajammer launches on Steam.

And you can play it right now.

If you like your CRPGs dank and grimy then you're very much in luck. Mechajammer, with its distinctly dirty flavour of cyberpunk, tasks you with escaping Calitana by any means necessary. With more player-agency than you can shake a pair of dice at, you may choose a path of violence, stealth, or coercion. Or any combination thereof. Just pray that lady luck is on your side...

Ok, less talk, more gameplay. It's launch day, and as is tradition we have a launch trailer for you. Make sure your socks are on tight because this is going to blow them clean off.

In bringing the Mechajammer launch trailer to life, we've partnered with the daddy of dark and brutal synthlines, Ital Tek, to create a new track for the game. "Calitana's Handshake" is available now via your streaming platform of choice, and anybody that purchases the game will also get a free, exclusive copy of the MP3 with their download.

You can also get the song as a free download by signing up to the Modern Wolf Newsletter.

Mechajammer was developed by indie-duo Whalenought, and after years of development, today the gates to Calitana are thrown open to the masses for the first time. It's a big, deep game, with a design philosophy that shuns hand-holding in favour of player exploration and discovery. As such, we are eyes open and ears cupped for your experiences and stories from the frontlines of Mechajammer's immersive sandbox.

If you've been playing already and have a specific question, do check out our Player FAQ, where an answer might be lying in wait, and feel free to head over to the Mechajammer Discord Channel to pick up the conversation there should you wish.

Thank you to everybody that has supported Mechajammer up until this point - we can't wait to hear what you think. See you on the other side x

Modern Wolf & Whalenought Studios
More information.

It's virtual memory I suppose? Here it uses 8 GB but that doesn't mean much, the physical memory footprint is about 4 GB during character creation. Nothing out of the ordinary (it's Unity anyway, so we can expect anything).

I'm more puzzled by the AA settings :lol:

I deleted the bookmark for Mechajammer as I found nothing playable in its demo. Rather focusing on Griftlands, where the hammerhead shark character is most fun. Well, until the next XPiratez version is fully patched, then I'll play that… or Begin Urtuk in earnest as its DLC is finally here..
Would try Wasteland, but apparently they managed to degrade the game with the latest build: "FPS drops have been reported since 1.6.9.420.

Our developers are looking into these reports.
"

I'll be giving this one a whirl after it's been out a while to let the necessary patches/updates land safely. I've high hopes to enjoy Mechajammer, as the previous game from these folks was the bee's knees!

I haven't been following the games development but is the engine used Unity? If so you got the culprit as this was brought up in almost every Unity Engine game thread.

So yeah I'll play this at some point but I'm still playing the KOTOR MMO.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I'll be giving this one a whirl after it's been out a while to let the necessary patches/updates land safely. I've high hopes to enjoy Mechajammer, as the previous game from these folks was the bee's knees!

I am afraid this is nowhere near as good as the first one , it's really catastrophic.

I haven't played their previous games, but from the demo and what I saw of the release,
- the game seems quite good
- text is hard to read, they should have kept the pixel art for the scenery only
- controls and menu flow are clunky, I hope they can address that in due time

I've seen an early review saying that there were a number of bugs, so it's best to wait a little (as usual). For the framerate, they used Unity so it's probably hardware-independent like Solasta; maybe older cards work even better than new ones.

many of the steam hub say its hould have been released in early access, so ill probably get it in the summer

I've never heard of a pixel art game having framerate issues. What kind of potatoes are people running this on?
The framerate problem mentioned in this thread was in Wasteland 3, not this game.
(But on a side note, I'm currently playing Wasteland 3 and haven't noticed any framerate issues…)

As far as Mechajammer goes, this list of issues that @TheSHEEEP; posted on the Codex is utterly insane:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...lenought-studios.103709/page-133#post-7632046

Well spotted, partial quotes that are out of context can be misleading.

There are a few number of these bugs that were reported on Discord, such as the non-intentional respawn (it's being investigated). Others like the notepad and pixel art are intentional.

Yeah, no key bindings is always a problem for me since I'm not using a QWERTY keyboard; they are not the first devs to live in their US bubble. It make playing quite problematic right now :-/ EDIT: they're working on it, so fingers crossed (literally)

There's certainly a lot of other issues, that list doesn't surprise me.

Last edited:
Mechajammer | Fixes Incoming!

Whalenought Studios posted a small update to thank and to acknowledge the remaining work to fix & balance the game.

A player update to address the road ahead.

First things first: a huge thanks to those of you that have picked up Mechajammer so far, rolled your first character, and begun your journey through the jungle colony of Calitana. After years of development, it's been amazing to read your comments, watch your streams and generally see you interacting with the world that we've created.

As always when games from small teams are put out to the masses, certain problems come to light that hadn't been surfaced previously. We're seeing some issues raised around the general onboarding process and starting area, some game freezes tied to quick-saves, and inexplicable respawning enemies, amongst other things.

And yes: we definitely hear you on the controller support and re-bindable keys front.

We are diligently collecting all of this feedback and building this into the ongoing development schedule. Many of the issues we're seeing will not be issues for very much longer at all, and feature requests are being prioritised based on how commonly you folk are asking for them.

Look out for a more detailed roadmap of what's to come very soon.

Until then, we have an interim update going out next week which will:

General:
Remove flaws for all backgrounds
Remove being injured by failed actions
Rebalance of advantages/disadvantages
Make loot easier to see and pick up
Auto reload guns.

Balance:
Make PTSD less impactful
Make Exhausted less impactful
More ammo for ranged weapons
Make Hacking more effective
Make non-melee builds more useful
Combat balancing

Bugs. Fixes for:
Hard lock if quicksaving during combat
PTSD causing endless running away
Autosave can stop music playing
Unconscious enemies regain consciousness if a save is loaded
Players cant get to front end when player dies.
Notepad saves incorrectly if you hit Esc to exit the feature
Sometimes vehicles can fall through world in some places, causing player death.

We're sorry launch hasn't been quite as smooth as we would have liked. There's plenty to look forward to in the weeks and months ahead, however, and we will be continuing to keep our ear to the ground for your thoughts and feedback.

Thanks again for your support and patience. More from us very soon…

- Whalenought Studios & Modern Wolf

The framerate problem mentioned in this thread was in Wasteland 3, not this game.
(But on a side note, I'm currently playing Wasteland 3 and haven't noticed any framerate issues…)

As far as Mechajammer goes, this list of issues that @TheSHEEEP; posted on the Codex is utterly insane:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...lenought-studios.103709/page-133#post-7632046

My bad. I read that post a little too quickly.

It sounds like Mechajammer has enough issues as it is though.

At least it sounds like the creators are taking the feedback seriously, and let's hope some updates are coming forthwith. No one really expects flawless launches these days (except from perhaps the fine folks at Spiderweb), as long as the patches and updates are coming, I think the masses will settle down.

It must be a daunting moment for such a small team. And I believe them about not being able to spot all the problems before release, between the two of them (and probably a few others).

Not sure how else they could have done, maybe a closed beta with a limited number of participants.

Maybe there's a little market for QA services for indie developers, when I see how many of them can't afford/won't take the time for a well-organized validation and bug tracking process (due to lack of resources).

Back
Top Bottom