Baldur's Gate 3 - 15 Reasons why it could be big

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
GamingBolt thinks Baldur's Gate 3 could be the biggest RPG of 2021:

Baldur's Gate 3 - 15 Reasons Why It May Be One of the Biggest RPGs of 2021

There's been a lot of talk about role-playing games as of late - which ones will be the biggest, most epic and feature-packed. With the launch of Baldur's Gate 3 into early access last year and its progress ever since, it's becoming more and more obvious that Larian Studios has something unique to offer. But how might it be one of the biggest RPGs of the year? Let's take a look at 15 main reasons.
More information.

How can it be the biggest RPG of 2021 if it probably wont even release this year?:p

I've played a couple hours and never touched it again.

Somewhat disapointing. I think the D&D rules took out the fun from their Divinity battle engine. The toned down elemental fireworks are welcome, but that severe limitation on spells we can cast before resting, is really annoying. There a lot of spells that I won't simply use, because of that limitation. So combat will mostly be boring, with simple attacks whjile saving interesting spells for latter, just in case they're needed (something that usually happens in other games with potions, where I almost never consume any, just in case I need them later).

It's still EA, so I won't comment too much about the story, but so far, it's not engaging enough. I would like to explore combat a little more before giving it a final veredict, but there's very little opportunities for combat in the first hours of the game.

It's a disapointment for me, not because it's a bad game, but because it feels a clear step down from their previous work.
Let's just hope that BG fans will enjoy it (which I doubt, as they're used to real time combat with pause), so that the game won't be a failure and LS can go back to do what it does best, with another divinity game or at least any other RPG with turn based combat, free from D&D's schackles.

I think they should use the D&D rules - it is called Baldur's Gate 3, not Divinity: Original Sin 3.

How can it be the biggest RPG of 2021 if it probably wont even release this year?:p
They'll have to settle for Biggest RPG of All Time ;)

Somewhat disapointing. I think the D&D rules took out the fun from their Divinity battle engine. The toned down elemental fireworks are welcome, but that severe limitation on spells we can cast before resting, is really annoying. There a lot of spells that I won't simply use, because of that limitation. So combat will mostly be boring, with simple attacks whjile saving interesting spells for latter, just in case they're needed (something that usually happens in other games with potions, where I almost never consume any, just in case I need them later).
D&D combat is much more strategic and rewarding, in comparison Larian had a more loose approach to give as much freedom as possible, but party members ending up overlapping one another. Still, they tweaked the D&D rules to simplify the combat a little bit. It may not be your preferred style, but it's in no way boring.

It's still EA, so I won't comment too much about the story, but so far, it's not engaging enough. I would like to explore combat a little more before giving it a final veredict, but there's very little opportunities for combat in the first hours of the game.
What would make the story more engaging? When compared to D:OS2, for example, I found they took a very similar approach.

596 characters and 45980 lines of (very well voice-acted) lines of dialog, a simple yet motivating starting plot that quickly develops and branches out, multiple and significant choices & consequences, the whole being set into rich D&D lore... Maybe you just don't like the D&D part, which is of course perfectly fine - to each their own. But honestly, I can hardly see how they could do better. It's a magnitude order greater than their previous title.

As for combat, you have a few ones directly on the Nautiloid, then immediately after the crash, North near and in the crypt (where you meet Shadowheart), a little further NW to free Lae'zel, and W then N the druid grove. If you follow that path, you should get some good opportunities. It's actually hard to go very far without seeing some action, once you get there.

It's a disapointment for me, not because it's a bad game, but because it feels a clear step down from their previous work.
Let's just hope that BG fans will enjoy it (which I doubt, as they're used to real time combat with pause), so that the game won't be a failure and LS can go back to do what it does best, with another divinity game or at least any other RPG with turn based combat, free from D&D's schackles.
That's probably the only and main issue. I wouldn't say a step down since all the features have been improved, but they made an in-between choice that may potentially not satisfy D:OS fans, nor D&D fans.

As I use to say, try to forget about D:OS and see the game for what it is, with a fresh look and an open mind. Combat is more restrictive but that makes for more demanding strategy, and more diversified characters. There's still a lot of fun to it.

They'll have to settle for Biggest RPG of All Time ;)
Well…You know it will be mentioned on top lists for the next 20-30 years at least. I whole heartily look forward to the debates how it's better then most modern RPGs as well.:p

I'm not in the Early Access, so maybe this gripe about the game has since been corrected, but when I looked into the game, they weren't even really using the correct combat system for D&D... It looked more like an ACTION POINT hybrid from their DOS games, and that is NOT what I want, nor is that what is being pitched... I actually want a D&D game, a successor (if you will) to something like the TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL computer game, that truly used the D&D combat system CORRECTLY... Now given this gripe, I will look into it again, but if I see ACTION POINTS, I will immediately dismiss this game... There is a MOVE and an ACTION (and bonus actions). There is no ACTION POINT pool in D&D... Make a D&D game, as promised, or STOP trying to lure us in expecting a D&D game, and have your game ending up being DOS 3...

I have a 100 hours into EA and have played through the content 3 times. One of the best, most engaging, and fun games I have played in a long time and to really drive home how good this game is - I say that when this is a turn based game and I tend to loath turn based combat. But the game is so good it overcomes my dislike of TB combat.

Fantastic companions, tons of hidden content, many layers to dialogue and quest options, really fun and engaging combat even if turn based, wonderful visuals and graphics.

My only gripe is complaints from users about followers need to be more friendly and should worship the almighty player character … that they will change it too much. Or change other aspects to appease the masses.

I'm not in the Early Access, so maybe this gripe about the game has since been corrected, but when I looked into the game, they weren't even really using the correct combat system for D&D... It looked more like an ACTION POINT hybrid from their DOS games, and that is NOT what I want, nor is that what is being pitched... I actually want a D&D game, a successor (if you will) to something like the TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL computer game, that truly used the D&D combat system CORRECTLY... Now given this gripe, I will look into it again, but if I see ACTION POINTS, I will immediately dismiss this game... There is a MOVE and an ACTION (and bonus actions). There is no ACTION POINT pool in D&D... Make a D&D game, as promised, or STOP trying to lure us in expecting a D&D game, and have your game ending up being DOS 3...
I think you've not looked at the game correctly.
It doesn't have action points.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Personally I stopped caring about things I don't like about the game. As I have a handy little thing called a cheat trainer that allows me to edit and cheat to my hearts content.

It simply must use the AD&D rule set, imo. After how disappointing the second Original Sin was, I'm hoping for something completely unlike that, and far more like the original Baldur's Gate. This time I'm going to be more certain before I simply plop monies down in advance, lesson learned!

That phenomenon is only a problem in games that are too easy.
If you can't win without using at least some of your limited resources, you have to use them. Simple as that.

I don't like the Vancian magic system, either. It is stupid and its internal "logic" falls flat on its face if you so much as think about it.
But it is absolutely possible to make a challenging game with the D&D ruleset that actually requires you to use the tools you have available.

I'm not in the Early Access, so maybe this gripe about the game has since been corrected, but when I looked into the game, they weren't even really using the correct combat system for D&D… It looked more like an ACTION POINT hybrid from their DOS games, and that is NOT what I want, nor is that what is being pitched… I actually want a D&D game, a successor (if you will) to something like the TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL computer game, that truly used the D&D combat system CORRECTLY… Now given this gripe, I will look into it again, but if I see ACTION POINTS, I will immediately dismiss this game… There is a MOVE and an ACTION (and bonus actions). There is no ACTION POINT pool in D&D… Make a D&D game, as promised, or STOP trying to lure us in expecting a D&D game, and have your game ending up being DOS 3…
No, as @Pladio; said, thankfully it's not their action point system. But they mixed up the actions, bonus actions and interactions. The UI presentation of those categories is most confusing, too, but since it has already changed a little bit in the last updates, there's still hope they fix the UI and, more importantly, those categories of action.

Reactions were also in a curious state, it looks as if it's WIP though.

Sneak attacks, rogue progression and the interpretation of cunning action were erroneous, but those have been fixed (I think - I stopped testing and reporting problems since there was no feedback on anything).

I don't believe we'll get a 100% D&D ruleset, but the differences aren't that annoying. Except for purists, especially if they add the Dungeon Master mode to hold virtual tabletop games as they did in D:OS2.

... but will the inventory be a huge messy affair of hoarding and disorganization? I don't think I have it in me to deal with another round of D:OS inventory clutter...

That's exactly what is fun about DnD games. You won't play (basically) every battle the same way because you have limited resources (spells, potions) to work with. This is something I found lacking in Pillars of Eternity 2 I played recently. I could spam my most powerful spells every battle. That is, until I would level up (which happened too often), then I would get some new most powerful spells. Yay!

In a DnD system, when you do use that level 8 or 9 spells, you know you are going to have some very serious effects. And even your mid level lightning bolt / fire balls, you have to give some thoughts before using them.

looks a pitch for cryptos, and therefore the same applies for the 15 reasons that it could fail :biggrin:

that said, i really looking forward to the BG vibe!

I can't see these "it's not like X or Y game system so it sucks" arguments as any kind of real criticism. You can see just from scrolling through these comments how futile that is, given that there are at least three different, discrete opinions being voiced about what system it just has to use. Engage with the game on its own merits and you may find that you enjoy it. Or if you don't, it will at least be for a concrete reason.

As far as inventory goes I would like to see all items automatically pooled together by type.

ie.
Gems automatically go into a gem bag
Scrolls going into a scroll box
Potions go into Potions bag
Keys get added to a key ring etc

For the action bar just drop the key ring into it and when you use it, it will automatically use the right one. For scroll box it will expand and show scrolls when you click on it so you can make a selection. This would be far more useful to me then clicking on sorting categories in the inventory as the reality is I want to use a scroll or a potion and then I won't have to go searching for it. I just want to go as far as the action bar fullstop.

Also I think characters should have these scroll boxes, potion bags automatically and be present from the start in the action bar.

Back
Top Bottom