Your top underrated games

N

NewDArt

So, what would you consider some of your favorite games - that other people seem to greatly dislike - or that are simply very underrated overall? Could be just your perception, but still.

Here are some of mine:

Hellgate London

This is among my favorite action RPGs - and I never felt it was treated fairly. I do concede, however, that the launch was a mess - and the confused business model didn't help things.

But, the core gameplay was fantastic - and it had a lot of novel features for its time. I think it's the first game I played with truly dynamic music that changed intensity along with the combat. Also a very intricate loot system.

The Bureau: XCom Declassified

Ok, the game isn't that good. It's not really much above average - but I had more fun with it than I expected - due to the massive criticism it received, and I completed it a few years ago. I'm a sucker for sci-fi and the unique 60s vibe the game has.

Gameplay is sort of a weaker Mass Effect 2 - which means it's passable.

But it's not as bad as people made it out to be.

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Won't get into details here - as I've made my opinion clear elsewhere. But I think it's MUCH better than people are saying.

Evil Islands
Story, characters, dialogue, all bad.
Makes up for it with great gameplay.

Dink Smallwood
I literally have no idea why I like this game, none whatsoever

Those two are standout examples for me.

Dungeon siege 1 - Best RPG ever made! It has everything you could ever asked for but simplified to hell and you can finish it in one sitting!

If any thing need a remaster or EE, its this one!

Dungeon siege 1 - Best RPG ever made! It has everything you could ever asked for but simplified to hell and you can finish it in one sitting!

If any thing need a remaster or EE, its this one!

No comment on DS1 :)

Well, except that the engine was nice and DS2 was a million times better.

The only game that has a score less than 5/10 but IMO deserved to get much more is IMO Raven's Cry:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ravens-cry
Questionable morality of the setting and main protagonist seemed too much for politically correct at all costs critics and mainstream audience who forgot it's a videogame. Usually compared with AC4, this game is IMO more fun than Ubisoft's boredom and unlike unoptimized AC4 it doesn't hammer your CPU. Raven's Cry belongs in specific subgenre RPG/shipbattles style with Sea Dogs games.

I bet we'll see Alpha Protocol in this thread again, but 7/10 IMO means above average and not underrated (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/alpha-protocol ). IMO nothing that got a score higher than 5/10 can be called underrated.

I have a guilty secret… I actually quite liked the NWN official campaign, at least after the opening bit in the city where you were just collecting the waterhavian creatures. Its not something I'm proud about though. :)

More recently, I had an absolute blast with Might and Magic X despite the mediocre reception.

Finally, Grimrock II didn't seem to be received very well (or at least didn't sell well I think?) but I thought that it was absolutely awesome. A real step forward from the first one, which was also good.

I have a guilty secret… I actually quite liked the NWN official campaign, at least after the opening bit in the city where you were just collecting the waterhavian creatures. Its not something I'm proud about though. :)

More recently, I had an absolute blast with Might and Magic X despite the mediocre reception.

Finally, Grimrock II didn't seem to be received very well, but I thought that it was absolutely awesome. A real step forward from the first one, which was also good.

I liked the NWN campaign as well :)

The other two had reasonably warm receptions, didn't they?

I seem to remembera lukewarm reception to MMX but might be wrong. Grimrock II got good reviews but I don't think it sold well, the reception amongst consumers didn't seem to be great.

Oh, I have another one - Pool of Radiance, ruins of myth drannor. It wasn't great, and the file deleting bug must have properly pissed some people off, but properly patched its a half decent dungeon crawler and a decent representation of TB D&D. I wouldn't give it a glowing review - it's ok, not great - but not as terrible as reported.

I seem to remembera lukewarm reception to MMX but might be wrong. Grimrock II got good reviews but I don't think it sold well, the reception amongst consumers didn't seem to be great.

Oh, I have another one - Pool of Radiance, ruins of myth drannor. It wasn't great, and the file deleting big must have properly pissed some people off, but properly patched its a half decent dungeon crawler and a decent representation of TB D&D. I wouldn't give it a glowing review - it's ok, not great - but not as terrible as reported.

Well, I really liked both MMX and Grimrock II ;)

I did NOT like the new Pool of Radiance, though - hehe.

Fair enough! :)

I'd agree with lostforever on dungeon seige as well actually. Fun enough to click and kill stuff in an undemanding lazy way...

Dungeon Lords- Was released as a buggy mess, but beneath the mess is a decent game.

Wizards and Warriors-Another Bradly game, also released as a buggy mess, but quite good.

Dead State- Considered by the Codex one of the worst releases of the last 3 years. Despite the lackluster presentation and way too long endgame, I really enjoyed it. It uses Age of Decadence's Torque Engine and has a similar if more simple combat system.

Dead State is an interesting one. I played it for a bit but found the base stuff a bit flat, kinda just drifted away from it in the end... Didn't hate it, but it definitely didn't grip me.

Dead State is an interesting one. I played it for a bit but found the base stuff a bit flat, kinda just drifted away from it in the end… Didn't hate it, but it definitely didn't grip me.

I've been thinking about giving this a second chance, since there's a deluxe edition out.

But I had much the same reaction to it upon playing it.

Dungeon Lords- Was released as a buggy mess, but beneath the mess is a decent game.

Wizards and Warriors-Another Bradly game, also released as a buggy mess, but quite good.

Dead State- Considered by the Codex one of the worst releases of the last 3 years. Despite the lackluster presentation and way too long endgame, I really enjoyed it. It uses Age of Decadence's Torque Engine and has a similar if more simple combat system.

I agree about Dungeon Lords, though I have to say that after giving it a serious chance - it really ended up being worse than I hoped it would be. Still, not quite as bad as people claim.

W&W was a game I actually loved upon release, but it was too buggy for me to play it much. I've always wanted to play a fixed version.

Hellgate London

This is among my favorite action RPGs - and I never felt it was treated fairly. I do concede, however, that the launch was a mess - and the confused business model didn't help things.
Its actually back. A fan group has been building a multiplayer server and I have been testing it.

Man, if I could ever get to play Hellgate and Wizards and Warriors again on my current computer, I'd be a super happy dude. Those two games ate up a lot of my time, in a great way.

double pos

Back
Top Bottom