The Endless Forest

magerette

Hedgewitch
Stumbled on this game while wandering around internet game sites, and the whole concept baffles me. IGN describes its genre as RPG. Has anyone played this, or anything similar, and if so, is it fun?

Here's the homepage and a description:

The Endless Forest is a multiplayer online game and social screensaver, a virtual place where you can play with your friends. When your computer goes to sleep you appear as a deer in this magical place. There are no goals to achieve or rules to follow. Just run through the forest and see what happens.

I just made my deer, logged in, ran around a little while and I have to say that it's pretty strange indeed.

The game runs like crap when anyone else is around, no matter the resolution. My computer and cable should chew this game up and spit it out, yet it's reduced to a slideshow at times. The interface has nothing but pictures, so it can be tough just trying to figure out what everything does. Tooltips would be helpful.

Then again, deer dont use tooltips. Go figure ='.'=

It also says the game can be run as a screensaver, so I went and looked at it in the screensaver preview. Big mistake. Dont do it. I had to restart my pc. I've spent all of a half hour w/ it, but what Ive seen so far, just the technical issues alone have soured me on it.

aint I cute?
deer.jpg

I d/l'ed it as well, but it installed into the Program Files (x86) folder while thinking it's in the Program Files folder, and doesn't start up.

Apparently this is an art project built on a platform that lets artists do stuff on computers without programming skills. If so, I guess I'm not out of a job just yet.

locked up on me one too many times, pretty much ending my career as a deer.

Unlike the forest, my tolerance is not endless!

Sorry to be the messenger of disaster--thanks for guinea pigging it for me, guys :)

You really are cute as a deer, though Sammy.Too bad you couldn't be a virtual tiger in a sea of bambis. I thought the premise itself was completely whacked out, but if it's artists...well, that explains everything.

My current comp doesn't meet any of the minimum criteria - it's just not a gaming machine anymore. Such a shame, this 'game' looked so cute :(.

I don't like these human faces on the animals.

First, I thought this was an mistake, but this is the second screenshot I see with it.

It totally ruins the whole game athmoshere for me.

That something awful article is hilarious, Korplem--mean, but hilarious...

I don't believe any game this horrible exists anywhere on earth.

For this, I will honor The Endless Forest by going outside the boundaries of my very strict grading scale to ensure that another game never comes close.

Community -20
Quests -20
Grind -20
Creepy -2,246,875
Fun -18,520,655
Overall -20,767,590

Sounds disturbingly like Disney's "Club Pinguin". But "CP" is for pre-schoolers and "EF" is aimed at whom exactly? And why anybody above the age of 7 would possibly want to waste more than 5 minutes of their life on something like THAT? O tempora, o mores! :)

Last edited:
I'm an explorer at heart, so I always like running around looking at virtual worlds, no matter what the rest of the game is like. I'm usually leveling when playing an MMO not to get the next best set of armor or something, but to be able to check out the next zone! What virtual environs the human mind comes up w/ interests me immensely, so why wouldnt a virtual forest be kinda cool to check out?

That said, the endless forest is indeed pretty awful. Beside all the technical issues and downright ugly graphics and stuff, the constant cacophany of baying human-faced deer is enough to drive any normal person over the edge.

You could get a better "virtual forest" experience, in my opinion, by playing one of Cabela's deer hunting sims. While yes it's arguably just as boring in a way, at least you get to shoot something, and cruising around on ATV's and stuff checking everything out can be fun. For a little while, anyway.

It would freak me right the f%$& out if I got a deer in the scope, and it turned around and had a human face!!

Sounds like a horror movie to me ! :D Bwahahaha !!!!

That is really disturbing. Next time I feel depressed that game designers aren't trying anything different I shall remember that it could be worse.

Back
Top Bottom