Card games for beginners

lostforever

SasqWatch
Anyone know good *physical*card games based around fantasy(or similar) which is suitable for 13 year old beginner? Ideally it should support solo play but not a requirement.

I never played any fantasy themed card games myself so looked into a a bit and came across Magic the gathering. It looks nice but its seem to have lot of "loot box" type mechanics. Can it be played without buying tons of addons?

Amazon has this as starter. Is this a good starting point?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Gathering-Core-Spellslinger-Starter/dp/B07PGLLGHF/ref=dp_ob_title_toy

Last edited:
Anyone know good card games based around fantasy(or similar) which is suitable for 13 year old beginner? Ideally it should support solo play but not a requirement.
Ehm… wasn’t it two years ago, or three, you said you and your wife had a baby? And now it turns out it is 13. How time flies.. ;)

Ehm… wasn’t it two years ago, or three, you said you and your wife had a baby? And now it turns out it is 13. How time flies.. ;)

He doesn't state his relation to the 13yr old. Other options are available. :D

Better to check the availability of players around, which games they play etc This is the most important factor.

Magic can barely be played without spending money. And a budget deck, even when played by a decent player, is likely to be crushed by a tiers one/two deck played by a lesser player.

These days, gaming is a bit of a cultural thing, players play for all other reasons than gaming. Anything thwarting makes them insecure.

And here I thought people play videogames for fun and sports for availability of whomever around.

Thanks @Lemonhead; for reminging me I still have to play that one. Did anyone invent time stretching machine? I asked for one ages ago, 24hrs long day ain't enough any more.

Times does in deed flies but my daughter is 4 years old now. I taught her how to move the character in Assassins Creed Odyssey using the PS4 controller. Big mistake! If she now sees the controller she wants it! She will goes "its my turn to play daddy and you have to share!"

But the card game is for my nephew who has just turned 13 :)

Ah thanks for the links but I am after physical card games.
In that case ask around in your area what's most popular there. Could be MTG, could be yu-gi-oh, could be something else.

In that case ask around in your area what's most popular there. Could be MTG, could be yu-gi-oh, could be something else.

I don't believe anyone he knows play so I am not fussed about that. He seems to like games and fantasy setting. In the end it will him and his sister playing. Some times me and my brother will join in.

So I am after nice card games for someone to ease into for now.

Better to check the availability of players around, which games they play etc This is the most important factor.

Magic can barely be played without spending money. And a budget deck, even when played by a decent player, is likely to be crushed by a tiers one/two deck played by a lesser player.

This will be family affair, no one outside will join in for now. So can you buy the card deck like the one I linked in original post and get away with it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Gathering-Core-Spellslinger-Starter/dp/B07PGLLGHF/ref=dp_ob_title_toy

Times does in deed flies but my daughter is 4 years old now. I taught her how to move the character in Assassins Creed Odyssey using the PS4 controller. Big mistake! If she now sees the controller she wants it! She will goes "its my turn to play daddy and you have to share!
Haha. Ah, those days where you could play hour after hour, they are gone for… 15 years? Stuff confiscated, attention needed, worrying about her preventing you to concentrate on your game… You’ll be glad when she leaves the house. ;)

Last edited:
This will be family affair, no one outside will join in for now.
The most expensive case scenario as all purchases come from the same budget.

Duplicating spending done for one player is required as the opponent shares the same budget.
So can you buy the card deck like the one I linked in original post and get away with it?

Here's a buyer's guide
https://cardgamebase.com/what-to-buy-for-mtg-beginner/

To give an idea, buying all the planewalker intro decks would a solid intro to Magic.

Now Magic is essential a head to head game.

There are other collectible card games like Fantasy Flight games card games that are coop (and then solo) No competition.

They rely on a different model.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-card-game/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror-the-card-game/

Might be more suited.

This will be family affair, no one outside will join in for now.
I remember playing chess with may mom and dad when I was like 6 years old.
Then I got bored with their incompetence and played it with my friends. Who were equally as bad I guess but somehow it was more fun. :)
Of course my parents were happy as they could (finally) grab a few minutes for themselves. See they were old school and didn't want tamagotchi and similar stuff I can't learn anything from except forced autism.

I bet I sound retarded, but the point is - think about those kids' future. When they go to school where everyone plays YGO, how will they feel if they're alone into TCG? Or vice versa.
I'm not saying there is something wrong in being an outcast, I'm one myself because I find it fun. But should a person (child) choose that path themselves instead of being pushed into it by own family?

In case this is confusing, I still say ask around neighborhood which card game is most popular there then go for that one.

Haha. Ah, those days where you could play hour after hour, they are gone for… 15 years? Stuff confiscated, attention needed, worrying about her preventing you to concentrate on your game… You’ll be glad when she leaves the house. ;)

On the contrary, I am looking forward to the next 15 years and maybe longer as I will finally have my own gaming partner :biggrin:

I remember playing chess with may mom and dad when I was like 6 years old.
Then I got bored with their incompetence and played it with my friends. Who were equally as bad I guess but somehow it was more fun. :)
Of course my parents were happy as they could (finally) grab a few minutes for themselves. See they were old school and didn't want tamagotchi and similar stuff I can't learn anything from except forced autism.

I bet I sound retarded, but the point is - think about those kids' future. When they go to school where everyone plays YGO, how will they feel if they're alone into TCG? Or vice versa.
I'm not saying there is something wrong in being an outcast, I'm one myself because I find it fun. But should a person (child) choose that path themselves instead of being pushed into it by own family?

In case this is confusing, I still say ask around neighborhood which card game is most popular there then go for that one.

Its not about forcing it on him, its more like he seems interested in card games so I am trying to find something which he can get into. He doesn't have to stick to it and he can change his mind later on as he discover more. I asked what you want to play and he has no idea. Then I asked whats your friends play and he said they don't play anything!

Back
Top Bottom