Obsidian Entertainment - Lost its Luster?

aries100

SasqWatch
An editorial at Koku Gamer asks this very question. It seems to be dealing with the lusterlack of the old BIS, not Obsidian, though. Here's an excerpt:
If I remember correctly, Obsidian’s current release, Alpha Protocol, had been in development for a few years. I remember still being married at the time of me sitting on a bed and reading an article on the game that featured screenshots and an incredibly descriptive article that painted the picture of a game that was well on its way to being released. The concept was solid, and I was nearly sold on it. However, the finished product was underwhelming. Though the dialog system was fantastic, the rest of the game was disappointing, to say the least.

More information.

All I want is for the original team to re-create that magic from when I first stepped out of Vault 13.

Oh, is that all. Well, I'm sure there will be Alpha Protocol 2. Hopefully the DLC will tide you over until then.

Hey, I liked Alpha Protocol. A lot, actually. I'm not weird, am I? :p

I liked the game, but my enjoyment depended a lot on me weighing the enjoyable elements more than the unenjoyable ones.
Of course, this varies a lot between people, and there are just enough flaws that the reviews are at least understandable.

Despite its flaws, I found I enjoyed it much more than the deified Mass Effect 2. More of an rpg imho also, although thats not really saying all that much. Why one is 100+ ultimate in gaming and the other is @70 and fail, i dont get at all.

I enjoyed AP a whole lot.

I enjoyed it as well. Certainly my top pick of the year so far. Much more fun than ME2.

The blog basically points out the flaw in announcing projects too early as well missing release dates. Usually its the developer/marketing wishlist that is published not the final feature set and that allows customers to get hyped up way too early and allow them to become jaded by the actual release date.

Definitely had its moments, but I think it's the worst Obsidian has done.

Including KotOR2 - because I value unfinished quality higher than finished mediocrity.

Classic game, extremely engaging story RPG based on Covert Military Operations with possibly more choices than any game previously. Dragged down by low quality console designs, pathetic save system, cash strapped publisher with premature releasejacation.

Bad interface design is a real problem, but it didn't bother me too much. I guess I just have more patience than your average gamer. Also, I don't get it why is stealth so bad? Sure, you don't get to hide in shadows, but other than that it's pretty fun. Especially if you don't use Shadow Operative too much.
The blog basically points out the flaw in announcing projects too early as well missing release dates.
I think the main point the blog makes is that Obsidian is not that good developer.

Last edited:
Heh, yeah, thanks… Tho, I wouldn't be much mistaken if I wrote "game" instead of "developer". :D

Back
Top Bottom