Gothic A Bug that I Can't Seem to Work Around

Rills

Sentinel
I am now in the Sleeper Temple. I have already dispatched the first Shaman Varrag-Hasher. I then proceeded up the columns to take on Varrrag-Unhilght.

I saved before even using the switch and then I saved just before tripping the gate. That is when I have experienced the "bug." At first it mentioned the sound and after researching I turned the music to OFF.

Reloaded and then the same thing. So with further research I switched the Sound setting to HW blah, blah, blah.

Reloaded and the bug struck again but this time it mentioned could not access Mesh, nothing about sound.

I have had a few crashes with this game but always I saved often and when I reloaded I could go on, but not this time.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

What exactly happens(crash to desktop, freeze, etc)? Could you post the error message?

What exactly happens(crash to desktop, freeze, etc)? Could you post the error message?

Maylander, thanks for your reply. The errors were various but with one exception they all had to do with sound. After trying all kinds of combinations I finally was able to do a work around (it took considerable time). This is how I worked it out:

1. Music Turned Off.

2. Sound set to HW Acceleration. The strange thing was that I did both settings within the Save Game file but it still crashed several times. So I reloaded again but went to Settings before loading the game save. Though Music was still off the game reverted back to the old Sound setting. So I changed to HW Acceleration. Reloaded the game save and noted my changes were there and... it crashed.

I then looked at my speaker set-up which has been 4 speakers since the beginning and changed it to Surround Sound.

3. So the final configuration that finally worked for me was: Music Off, Sound as HW Acceleration, and Surround Sound for Speakers.

Why it needed to be set to Surround Sound I haven't a clue.

I spoke too fast. I am now the chamber where there are three unmarked (no colors) switches and when I turn the first two, the left one and then the right one, a demon appears each time.

I then go to turn the center switch that is opposite of the iron gate that traps you in the room and I turn it and then I freeze.

Here is the error:

B: VFILE: Err -2 Can't find file_ WORK\DATA\ITRW_2H_Orcstaff_01 . MRM Code: 255

One thing I notice is that when I first load Gothic and I check the Sound Settings it won't remember that I no longer want Miles Fast. So I have to change it out after every crash.

Any ideas, guys?

You can find the solution in the RPGDot forums. Desslock had that exact problem a couple of years ago. IIRC. ;)

Back
Top Bottom