Gothic Gothic 1: how to make it shiny?

wiretripped

Machiavellian
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Alright, so I just installed Gothic and was thinking of replaying it. However, I find the graphics a little... hard on my spoiled eyes. I can probably get past it, but I would nevertheless like the best possible Gothic experience.

So, any recommendations as to make it as nice as possible? I remember Fluent's playthrough of G2 a while ago, with this fancy new DX renderer. Does that exist for G1 too?
I don't need content mods, or mods that alter gameplay by the way, Gothic has no need for that. :)

For anyone else interested, I followed this guide, and wow! What a difference!

The only problem is that the font is rather small and hard to read now…

Attachments

• gothic_pimped.jpg
    gothic_pimped.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 121
Looks great! Have you experienced any of the bugs they mention?

I think the author of the DX11 mod is still working on an official version for Gothic 1.

For anyone else interested, I followed this guide, and wow! What a difference!

The only problem is that the font is rather small and hard to read now…

I didn't read your what mods or upgrades you added, but I went to replay it last year and the same thing happened. I can't remember but there is a way to get the text larger.

I will look up what I did..

Looks great! Have you experienced any of the bugs they mention?

I think the author of the DX11 mod is still working on an official version for Gothic 1.

Not yet! I've just been tweaking so far. :)

I didn't read your what mods or upgrades you added, but I went to replay it last year and the same thing happened. I can't remember but there is a way to get the text larger.

I will look up what I did..

I installed the following (as per the Steam guide I linked to):
1. Install a fresh copy of Gothic (from GOG)
2. Install the 1.08k patch (not necessary, as it was included in the GOG install)
3. Install the Player Kit (link)
4. Install the System Kit (link)
5. Install version 14 of the Gothic 2 DX11 mod (link)
6. Install the Gothic 1 specific ddraw.dll, by replacing it in the System folder (link)
7. Install Freddy's enhanced graphics mod (link)

Thanks for the link. That's a lengthy topic. :)

I grabbed the "enhanced font" file and will be trying it out later. Also, I noticed there's an alternate graphics pack, from TheilHater or something? Is that better than Freddy's?

Also, should I install the IronKeep patch? And if so, what version do you guys advise?
There's the "Gothic Unofficial Patch v1.0" (link), but also the "Gothic I: Ironkeep Community Patch v0.9.2 (RC 2)" (link). That latter is only a release candidate though, so I'm a little hesitant...

Hello friends :)

Would anyone be interested in me doing a video walkthrough using the new shiny graphics? I don't feel like doing a speed play, but will do a very thorough mage playthrough if there is enough interest. (Not a mage ONLY playthrough)

The first few vids would be doing everything possible before joining a camp. Those of you that know me realize I'm quite thorough. There won't be much left living before I am forced to join. :D I'll share the "Before joining a camp" master save.

After joining I'd play as a mage and will be very OP to be honest. In the end only a handful of things will still be alive anywhere on the map because they can't be killed.

If you have other ideas, please post them and I'll consider it. I do plan on showing how to approach problems from different ways.

Main issue with that for me is the overpowered part :D

It's the one thing that makes games boring for me.

Once I can kill everything then the game offers no challenge. So I end up not caring for it anymore, since in my head I would have already saved the world and travelled to a different galaxy to help the Jedis save the world.

I'm doing the playthrough to highlight things most new players on youtube don't know about or even think is possible in Gothic. I think there are enough generic LP's already. You will mostly find generic LP's or speed/bug runs.

With Freddy's installed I've had the game freeze on me twice and more noticeably the water flashes from really bright to normal very regularly… Have removed Freedy's texture mod for now. The textures are nice thought so anyone have experience resolving the flashing water problem?

Edit - Might try the system pack. See if that helps.

Don't forget to install system pack etc. in admin mode.

Hello friends :)

Would anyone be interested in me doing a video walkthrough using the new shiny graphics? I don't feel like doing a speed play, but will do a very thorough mage playthrough if there is enough interest. (Not a mage ONLY playthrough)

The first few vids would be doing everything possible before joining a camp. Those of you that know me realize I'm quite thorough. There won't be much left living before I am forced to join. :D I'll share the "Before joining a camp" master save.

After joining I'd play as a mage and will be very OP to be honest. In the end only a handful of things will still be alive anywhere on the map because they can't be killed.

If you have other ideas, please post them and I'll consider it. I do plan on showing how to approach problems from different ways.
My mage playthrough using DX11 turned out well. Too bad no one showed any interest in seeing it. Anyway, I made the offer and followed through with a nice playthrough. Into the dustbin it went. :(

I'm sorry, but I honestly can't see a video of, or hear music from, Gothic without replaying it myself, so..

Back
Top Bottom