Windows 11

You're not going to be making games that push the envelope because of the instant streaming, if you have to allow for backwards compatibility with mechanical disks.
Many games let you pick your texture detail right now. Simply give people playing on DirectStream capable PCs bigger options.

They might be able to do more variety, too. When you can load the textures faster, you can be more aggressive with unloading the ones that can't be seen without worrying so much that the player will turn around and have to wait for the world to pop back in.

Well I have a 1TB SSD and two 8TB HD's. So if one of you would kindly donate to my go fund me page to buy similar SSD's, as they are expensive compared to the HD's.:biggrin:
Who still installs games on HDDs?!

These are supposed to be filled with pr0n, because if internet gets unavailable for a while you better be prepared. ;)

It's called the average joe. Not all of us are made of money and 500GB-1TD SSD's are not enough storage nowadays. I could buy food or pay one month rent instead.

Seems I need to fork over $450 for two 2TB or $2,000+ for two 8TB versions.

Pc's are getting to expensive it's time to become a console only player.:p

It's called the average joe. Not all of us are made of money and 500GB-1TD SSD's are not enough storage nowadays. I could buy food or pay one month rent instead.

Seems I need to fork over $450 for two 2TB or $2,000+ for two 8TB versions.

Pc's are getting to expensive it's time to become a console only player.:p
Wait why do you need more than 1TB for gaming?

I've got 1TB for the past 3 years...
More than enough. I have over 300GB of pictures as well permanently stored on there because I don't even have another drive at all. So in reality I have a 700GB SSD.

If you need more you're aren't managing well.

Lets see a bunch of games need more then 75GB or 100 GB so do the math. One MMO needs 250+GB. Top that with needing space for mods & Win10 takes a small chunk.

Simply put I don't like re-downloading large games once again just to play them. I also archive other files like books, movies, images and so on. That stuff adds up.

To sum it up it's not just a gaming machine and those 2TB SSD's are not cheap. They are overpriced and up-marked because of shortages due to co-vid 19 closings.

Don't even get me started on the overpriced GPU upgrades starting at $650.

Lets see a bunch of games need more then 75GB or 100 GB so do the math. One MMO needs 250+GB. Top that with needing space for mods & Win10 takes a small chunk.

Simply put I don't like re-downloading large games once again just to play them. I also archive other files like books, movies, images and so on. That stuff adds up.

To sum it up it's not just a gaming machine and those 2TB SSD's are not cheap. They are overpriced and up-marked because of shortages due to co-vid 19 closings.

Don't even get me started on the overpriced GPU upgrades starting at $650.
But most MMOs probably barely benefit from the SSD and all the the non gaming stuff should be on a HDD.

You can have up to 7 or 8 games installed at the same time if they were 100GB each and they aren't all that big.

But most MMOs probably barely benefit from the SSD and all the the non gaming stuff should be on a HDD.

You can have up to 7 or 8 games installed at the same time if they were 100GB each and they aren't all that big.
Bull-crap every Ubisoft game is 50GB or larger. The ID engine games like Dishonored 2 and the rest use more, but the majority now are 15-30GB at best. Bigger every year.
What mmo needs 250 plus? I'm simply asking so I know to even avoid gawking at the thing, lol!!
The Star Wars MMO I bought every story expansion. The updates are large as well.

I guess I'm not that interested in performance enhancements. Windows 10 runs fast enough on an SSD for all the machines I have, and game wise I'm happy enough with performance (I'm not the sort that worries about 4k and streaming textures etc).

What's got me interested is the improved tablet mode. One of my machines is a laptop that converts to a tablet (Lenovo Flex 5), and Windows 10 tablet mode could do with some improvements (e.g. being able to automatically toggle single click between modes seems like an obvious option that they overlooked).

So… I've enlisted in the Windows Insider programme and am currently installing Windows 11 on it.
Wish me luck.

Edit: by improved tablet mode I'm really meaning "works better as a tablet", my understanding is that there is no tablet mode per se, but it works better as one or something I dunno rambling now will have to try and see

Last edited:
I guess I'm not that interested in performance enhancements. Windows 10 runs fast enough on an SSD for all the machines I have, and game wise I'm happy enough with performance (I'm not the sort that worries about 4k and streaming textures etc).

What's got me interested is the improved tablet mode. One of my machines is a laptop that converts to a tablet (Lenovo Flex 5), and Windows 10 tablet mode could do with some improvements (e.g. being able to automatically toggle single click between modes seems like an obvious option that they overlooked).

So… I've enlisted in the Windows Insider programme and am currently installing Windows 11 on it.
Wish me luck.

Edit: by improved tablet mode I'm really meaning "works better as a tablet", my understanding is that there is no tablet mode per se, but it works better as one or something I dunno rambling now will have to try and see

A desktop OS that works better on a tablet. :puke: A pox on you sir. :p

I tried to do windows 11 preview but got the “your PC doesn’t meet the requirements “ bug, even though it does. Yes I have tpm 2.0 and secure boot. There’s some work around online but I’m not sure I care enough to jump through hoops.

A desktop OS that works better on a tablet. :puke: A pox on you sir. :p
:biggrin:

Well, I'm a desktop user through and through, but I needed a new laptop for work/travel reasons. I tend to use a tablet for watching Netflix and other stuff when relaxing on the couch, but my one is always getting borrowed by the wife or kids. So... the convertible laptop was two birds with one stone.

FINALLY THEY GOT RID OF THESE DREADED TILES !!!!!

Sorry, but I went a tiny bit emotional ...

Seriously? There is plenty of information out there on how you can remove those tiles already in Windows 10.

If it can be somehow managed to appear like windows seven, it's something I might be able to get on board with. I figure at some point I'll at least migrate to windows ten....someday. Maybe.

Many games let you pick your texture detail right now. Simply give people playing on DirectStream capable PCs bigger options.

They might be able to do more variety, too. When you can load the textures faster, you can be more aggressive with unloading the ones that can't be seen without worrying so much that the player will turn around and have to wait for the world to pop back in.

Yeah, it's not so much about texture detail, 4K and so on. That side of thing obviously scales up and down quite well, and not everyone is bothered about maximum quality.

What devs have talked about is how, once they can rely upon really high transfer speeds from disk to memory, they can quite radically improve the way their engines work, and the scope of the games possible. Essentially, the old, slow and limiting methods of loading game data in chunks can be replaced with a far more efficient system that gives them a lot more freedom, and requires a lot less tedious work on loading routines. But, if we still have to account for mechanical disk speeds, that seems to me to prevent them from being able to leave behind those legacy considerations in the design of their games.

I was expecting DirectStorage perhaps to formalise an SSD standard of performance going forwards, that hardware manufactures could use as a certification, and game studios could state as a requirement.

I think your a little too optimistic about DirectStorage, SSD's and console tech.:biggrin:

I think the headaches will come anyway. Things like the Unreal 5 Nanite stuff we've seen are dependent on fast SSD streaming. If a game is relying on streaming data dynamically from disk to GPU, that ain't happening with a mechanical disk - it would be a slideshow, if it didn't crash completely. So the idea is not about forcing people - it's that games that will need it are coming, and without a standard, it's hard for people to know if their SSDs will perform well.

The key thing is that, sooner or later, disk performance is going to become significant in way it hasn't been before.

EDIT: Couch often edits his posts after you've replied, but there was originally some context to these comments.

Last edited:
FINALLY THEY GOT RID OF THESE DREADED TILES !!!!!

Sorry, but I went a tiny bit emotional …

Seriously? There is plenty of information out there on how you can remove those tiles already in Windows 10.

I haven't had to use Windows 10 for long, but after seeing this, I removed them the simple way (right-clicking each of them, remove tile). I'm now the proud owner of a not-so-cluttered start menu \o/

Should they come back, I'll go medieval-scripting on them.

I believe the tile panel is not the only feature clogging up the OS and its interface, just seeing how many processes are running and how much memory is taken right after a fresh boot.

EDIT: Couch often edits his posts after you've replied, but there was originally some context to these comments.
Nope this time my post was edited before you posted your reply.

At least on my end as I did not refresh the page.:biggrin:
I haven't had to use Windows 10 for long, but after seeing this, I removed them the simple way (right-clicking each of them, remove tile). I'm now the proud owner of a not-so-cluttered start menu \o/

Should they come back, I'll go medieval-scripting on them.

I believe the tile panel is not the only feature clogging up the OS and its interface, just seeing how many processes are running and how much memory is taken right after a fresh boot.

I rarely ever use the start menu, but I agree about WIN10 being process hungry.

Most of the time, I'm pressing the windows key and typing the first letters of the program I want to launch. The rest of the time it's alt-R and the name of the process if it's in the path. Old habits die hard :D

@Ripper; quote him next time, to catch him red-handed :lol:

Back
Top Bottom