South Park - Editorial @ Cheat Code Central

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Cheat Code Central has a short article about gender in South Park: The Stick of Truth.

We've come to expect certain things from our RPGs, and the ability to save anywhere is a big one. So is some element of choice, even when it doesn't have a major effect on the story. However, the biggest is the ability to decide our avatar's gender during a character creation progress. If we're able to decide everything else about our character, it only stands to reason that we could choose whether it is a he or a she.

Which is why it would initially seem odd that South Park: The Stick of Truth, a game that gives us so much control over our character's appearance, would make every player male. However, while it may seem like an issue and something we should question, it really isn't. In fact, the gender of the New Kid doesn't matter at all.

For the sake of the story, yes. The New Kid is male. Trey Parker and Matt Stone had a story in mind, and the gender had to be set for certain elements to work. Without getting into specifics, one of the storyline quests on the third day involves pretending to be some girl's boyfriend. Despite that moment, and a few similar ones, players aren't really forced to think of the New Kid as being male or female.
More information.

While SP loves stepping on toes, I can see why they wouldn't want to call female gamers, playing a female toon, douchebag.

Yes, but aside from the douchebag thing, boys and girls are quite different, especially in the world of South Park. They would have to change the way every sing'e NPC reacts to the player character, or at least a lot of it. If they didn't, it would feel like a cheat. It wouldn't feel like South Park.

Well, I got to play a black kid that chose to play a Jew and then joined the KKK. The character variety certainly worked for me! (The lack of being able to save anywhere, however... <grumble>)

Well, I got to play a black kid that chose to play a Jew and then joined the KKK. The character variety certainly worked for me! (The lack of being able to save anywhere, however… <grumble>)

Eh.. There's no manual save system? Please don't tell me it's checkpoints only...

Back
Top Bottom