Playing classics on mobile platforms

Kostas

Dormant Watcher
I've been meaning to try out some of the "classics" of seemingly interesting genres for a while now, just to know what all the fuss is about. I'm specifically thinking of adventure games like the Monkey Island series and Grim Fandango and the often mentioned JRPGs Chrono Trigger and some of the Final Fantasies (6-9).

I've so far been against getting mobile games on my ipad but since some of these more "serious" titles have been re-released on the appstore I'm tempted to go through that route rather than getting them off Steam and messing with emulators.

What are your guys' thoughts?

I've run some games through emulators, including the MAME emulator and Broken Steel.

Too many games are difficult to control on the touch screen. Its great to have them run and be portable but its too problematic. Worse than porting a console game over to PC.

I've be more curious to see how some games run on Windows 8 on mobile. You likely wouldn't need to run most on an emulator.

Games like Monkey Island and the Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are solid ports, I like playing them on the iPad/iPhone more than on the PSP / DS anyway.

Why would someone play proper games on phones?

Play games normal people play on phones (from escapist):

642755.jpg

Ended up playing the first 2 Monkey Island games on it. They were generally a bit harder, due to lack of a cursor "exploring the screen" but the 2nd one mostly fixed that issue.

Since the 3rd one hasn't gotten the Special Edition treatment I'll have to get it on Steam. Amazon?

Which should I play first between Final Fantasy 6 and ChronoTrigger, given complete lack of JRPG experience?

Why would someone play proper games on phones?
Knew this would be a Joxer bait. Mobility, screen quality and just the overall ease of use. Fwiw I'm talking about a tablet.

Last edited:
It really depends on the game. Phoenix Wright trilogy was an excellent port to iOS (iPad in my case) and I was glad to get it at a substantially cheaper price than the originals as a bonus. Some people don't have the original hardware or difficulty obtaining the original software, so right there is some value.

I'm not as great of a fan of the Final Fantasy games, because I struggle with the touchscreen movement controls. It is still quite playable, just a little frustrating at times. The same can be said with the reimagined Transport Tycoon game. I loved that game on pc, but not a fan of the touch screen controls. For me, it is a very mouse centric game.

Which should I play first between Final Fantasy 6 and ChronoTrigger, given complete lack of JRPG experience?

Given I didn't play a JRPG until Final Fantasy I&II release on the GBA ... my personal choice is Final Fantasy VI, as that is my fave of the series. I am enjoying it now ... but both are classics.

FF9 is available for tablet/iphone?? Can someone please send me a link please? :biggrin:

Um... I was misunderstood.
I'm not saying you shouldn't play games on phones. I'm just saying you should play games ment to be played on phones. Milk-me games.

Um… I was misunderstood.
I'm not saying you shouldn't play games on phones. I'm just saying you should play games ment to be played on phones. Milk-me games.

Why not play good games on phones instead? Any game that relies on a simple point & click interface should work just fine.

Given I didn't play a JRPG until Final Fantasy I&II release on the GBA … my personal choice is Final Fantasy VI, as that is my fave of the series. I am enjoying it now … but both are classics.
Mike, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you enjoy(/appreciate?) about FFVI?
(serious question btw)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom