GOTY 2021 Shortlisting the long list - Most Anticipated

It doesn't say 2022, but it's an annual thing and Elder Scrolls VI is nowhere to be found, so yeah, I'd say you probably missed something.

Yeah but given BG3 was voted most anticipated in 2021, I think its only fair games like Colony Ship to be included in the list for 2022.

These anticipated lists should be taken with a grain of salt. The idea is to have a list of games that will or have a chance of being released in 2022. This actual list is made up of games that have an estimated release date of 2022 in our database. Games that are not on this list are either released before 2022, or are still labeled as TBA in our database.
Obviously this doesn't mean much, setting an estimated release date is just guesswork most of the time.

That is the current plan. The timetable's on the steam page, with "Nov 2022 - Endgame (chapter 4)" Of course it could get pushed to 2023 but the same thing could be said for BG3 and probably many of the other games on this list which are not even in EA and in many cases have no announced release date.
Good to hear!
And agreed, it's the same argument to me as "is it an RPG", we shouldn't start splitting hairs. Games announced for 2022 may very well be postponed, it happens all the time.

EDIT: just saw Myrthos' post saying about the same

It doesn't say most anticipated in 2022 though. Or did I miss something?
That's a good point. We probably shouldn't be too excited by anticipation for games like the next Dragon Age or ES which are just concepts at this stage. But if that's close enough and anticipated enough, it makes sense to have it. As long as it's fair and doesn't remain on the list for years at the expense of other games, maybe.

BTW, I was a little surprised this TMORPG called Book of Travels was never covered here - it was even nominated as one of the PCGamer contributor's GOTY pick:

https://www.pcgamer.com/book-of-travels-convinced-me-i-can-still-love-mmos-as-long-as-theyre-tiny/

It will definitely be in my most anticipated list ;)
Duly noted. :) It's not even in our list.

We're always happy to hear about suggestions for the news coverage, otherwise we just shoot and see if anyone seems interested.

If I see several posts on a game without any reaction, I tend to remove them from my coverage list. But to add new games is something else, I'm surely missing some of them so nobody should hesitate to post, PM or use the 'contact us'.

It doesn't say 2022, but it's an annual thing and Elder Scrolls VI is nowhere to be found, so yeah, I'd say you probably missed something.

So then I suggest you go through all of the release dates and remove any from Nov/Dec 2022 since they are likely to be delayed by a month or two. Wouldn't you say ?

As others have already pointed out, many other games on the list may not release in 2022 (either due to longer EA than anticipated or late release dates).

I'd suggest you maybe you look at it a bit more about what people are actually anticipating most rather than prescribe an exact timeframe which no one else seems to.

Edit: Myrthos put it better than I have - didn't see there were more posts.

The projected release date (for now) for Colony Ship is 2022 and people are looking forward to it, so it belongs on the list. I agree. I was remembering how long it took AoD to come out and was overly snarky. I still don't think we'll see its release in 2022, but like others have said, that probably applies to half the list.

My bad.

Here are the pending full release games in which I currently have an interest: BG3, Black Geyser, Wartales, Colony Ship, The Iron Oath, Broken Roads, Dark Envoy, Star Field, and Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms.

The projected release date (for now) for Colony Ship is 2022 and people are looking forward to it, so it belongs on the list. I agree. I was remembering how long it took AoD to come out and was overly snarky. I still don't think we'll see its release in 2022, but like others have said, that probably applies to half the list.

My bad.
Sorry, I reread my reply. It was quite snarky too. :(

Here are the pending full release games in which I currently have an interest: BG3, Black Geyser, Wartales, Colony Ship, The Iron Oath, Broken Roads, Dark Envoy, Star Field, and Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms.

To make it easier to Myrthos, what you mean is: Colony Ship, Iron Oath should be in the top 30 (the others are already there).

I think the goal in making a short list is to list any games you anticipate and might consider buying, assuming they are released and good as you hoped they might be. I put Druidstone on my list one year and it turned out to be a very different game than I hoped it would be, so I didn't end up buying it. My point being anticipation may come to nothing.

This is my list
Baldur's Gate 3
Elex 2
Black Geyeser
Vampire TMB2 (Yeah, I know probably won't be released, but I hope it will be).
Starfield
Urban Strife
Broken Roads
Wierd West
Hogwarts Legacy
War Tales
Wizardry: The 5 Ordeals
Legend of Heroes: Trail From Zero
Spire of Sorcery
Queen's Wish 2
Marvel's Midnight Suns
Last Epoch
Lost Eidolons
Avowed

The Top 30 Most Anticipated Games presented by Myrthos in OP is a strong list, but outside it (and currently below the top 30), I'd include:

• Within The Cosmos
  • Shieldwall Chronicles: Realm of Madness
  • Reverie Knights Tactics
  • Shores Unknown

And if I had to swap some of the Top 30 out in order to make room for the ones above (because I don't know if the final list must have only 30 entries), then I'd pick:

• Elden Ring
  • Sacred Fire
  • SKALD: Against the Black Priory
  • Weird West

It's only a matter of taste, of course.

There are quite a few games I'd eject before Weird West.

@Myrthos; Actually, I'm not sure where all this is heading. I first understood from the OP that we had to give the deltas ("what games should be in the top 30 instead of what we have now."), but which criteria will be used to determine what goes out and what goes in? Do you have the info you need with what was posted?

It's doesn't need to be something precise of course, we're just doing adjustments.

Last edited:
That is correct. You can say what should be in the top 30 in your opinion and what should not be there.
That probably leads to conflicting interests of people, but in the end I'll just make a list where the top 20 is about agreed upon by everyone and the last 10 are more of a compromise.
Just saying game X and Y should be in, is only partially helpful, because it doesn't say which games they should replace.
Like past years, I just create a new top 30 list here and ask: "How about this list?". If there are still objections, I'll try again, until the compromise is somewhat accepted.

The sorting of the lists is currently based on popularity, which is reflected by the number of news posts and comments of a game. If a game is not so good and people will state how bad it is in every news post of the game, it will be very popular, but will not have a chance of being voted on much. That would probably be a candidate to remove from the list. Just like a game which you think is very RPG-lite.

There are quite a few games I'd eject before Weird West.

Like I said the Top 30 list, as it currently is, it's a very good one. It wasn't easy for me to pick 4 games to be taken out of it. It is no coincidence that Weird West occupies the 4th place among the games I'd remove from the list. It wasn't an easy decision, believe me, I struggled to find the 4th title.

In fact the only one I'd choose without batting an eye was Elden Ring because I don't appreciate Souls-like games too much.

Like I said the Top 30 list, as it currently is, it's a very good one. It wasn't easy for me to pick 4 games to be taken out of it. It is no coincidence that Weird West occupies the 4th place among the games I'd remove from the list. It wasn't an easy decision, believe me, I struggled to find the 4th title.

In fact the only one I'd choose without batting an eye was Elden Ring because I don't appreciate Souls-like games too much.

Let's make it a 31-gamed shortlist! ;)

Adding to the chorus that Colony Ship should be on the list. It's still officially targeted at 2022, although VD has said it may slip to 2023. Pretty much the same situation as BG3, and BG3 will be on the list I assume.

Also, Queen's Wish 2 should be on the list. I doubt it has much chance of ending up in the top 3, but there's no doubt that there's more people on this site interested in it than many of the games that are in that first-draft top 30.

Archaelund can be removed from the top 30. No chance it will be released in 2022, latest word from the developer is that it may be out in early access in mid-to-late 2022. The developer is a regular on the Codex, and the word over there in multiple places, like releases stickies and recent news posts is that it will be out no earlier than 2024. One source: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...er-now-coming-to-early-access-in-2022.140009/

Nothing to add except BG3 wont be released next year. Try again in 2023-24 hopefully.:p

The following is the proposal for the short list (34 games):
ID|Title|News Posts|Comments|Ratio|h-index
1|Baldur's Gate 3|73|2671|36,1|30
2|ELEX II|16|569|33,5|14
3|Colony Ship - A Post-Earth Role Playing Game|66|614|9,2|14
4|Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness|46|862|18,3|13
5|Knights of the Chalice II|28|490|16,9|13
6|System Shock (Remake)|73|487|6,6|13
7|Expeditions: Rome|23|257|10,7|11
8|Elden Ring|17|313|17,4|10
9|The Waylanders|51|276|5,3|9
10|Starfield|8|251|27,9|8