Expeditions: Rome - Released

I'd be interested in seeing that documentary, unless it has lame actors in recreations, I hate that crap. Is that BBC ?

As for the HBO series, the low budget really hurt the show for me.
The world scale was so tiny I got claustrophobia watching it.

It's a Netflix exclusivity. From your comments I think you wouldn't like it, but you can get an idea by watching it for 10 minutes.

From an historical point of view, I don't know that period enough to have any opinion on its accuracy. I saw a few comments saying that this or that wasn't correct, and after checking multiple sources I found that it was either correct or plausible. I tend to be cautious with documentaries on Netflix but this one doesn't seem too bad. Of course, it's meant for the general public, no risk of having one's attention strained too much. ;)

There are some Easter eggs ;)

image.png

It works as advertised, keeping it simple.

image.png

I tried the demo last night and thought it was "ok". I don't care for the writing and dialogue or at least what I saw in the prologue.

It seems to be decently challenging though I'll give it that. On the default difficulty, I barely survived the first pirate attack and had 1 guy left standing at the end.

Well... two guys if you count Julius Caesar who quit during the fight and ran like a little bitch. :)

I'm well into the first Act (10 of the 11 Asia Minor sectors conquered) in 17 hours and I can say that this game is less of an RPG than I would have preferred. I spend a lot of time just marching my legion back and forth across the map, or going into and out of camps with my party doing busywork stuff. The parts where I'm exploring a map, talking to people and doing quests, is a small percentage of the game. My gaming time lately has been more limited, and sometimes I'll play an hour and feel like basically nothing has happened, and it doesn't motivate me to boot it up the next time.

I like a lot of things about the game, but unless for some reason there's a lot more story stuff after this first act, it looks like I'm going to be disappointed by it overall.

Thanks @JFarrell71;. Critical opinions are much appreciated. I preordered it but have not played yet. Might still ask for a refund.

I'm well into the first Act (10 of the 11 Asia Minor sectors conquered) in 17 hours and I can say that this game is less of an RPG than I would have preferred.

Just curious - did you play Ex: Viking? Does Ex: Rome feel more RPG than Viking, less or about the same?

Just curious - did you play Ex: Viking? Does Ex: Rome feel more RPG than Viking, less or about the same?

I didn't finish Vikings, but I did play several hours of it and based on that, I would say Rome is less of an RPG. For what its worth, the tactical combat in Rome is imo a lot better than in Vikings.

I didn't finish Vikings, but I did play several hours of it and based on that, I would say Rome is less of an RPG.
Could you elobare a bit?
As we all know "RPG" has quite a broad meaning even on this site. :D

I'd say it is a tactics game first and a RPG second. Although, these two have always intermingled. You have stats and perks, although skills come from equipment. There are also branching dialogs and C&C.

I have played for 16 h now (just started the conquest of Asia Minor) and the more I play the more I love it. Great game and imo the most accomplished of the Expedition games out of the box. I sure hope there will be more Expedition games in the future.

I'm well into the first Act (10 of the 11 Asia Minor sectors conquered) in 17 hours and I can say that this game is less of an RPG than I would have preferred. I spend a lot of time just marching my legion back and forth across the map, or going into and out of camps with my party doing busywork stuff. The parts where I'm exploring a map, talking to people and doing quests, is a small percentage of the game. My gaming time lately has been more limited, and sometimes I'll play an hour and feel like basically nothing has happened, and it doesn't motivate me to boot it up the next time.

I like a lot of things about the game, but unless for some reason there's a lot more story stuff after this first act, it looks like I'm going to be disappointed by it overall.

Sorry you feel that way, I hope it'll get better :-/

I'm a little over 25 hours in the game, though with fewer sectors in act I, but I don't feel that way at all. It's just my personal impression though, and it could yet change later.

The combat takes time for sure, in good part because it's turn-based. And it's a war setting so we have the battles, the sieges, and the main focus on the theme of combat on top; overall it's more omnipresent than other games. But I have the impression there's enough story, companion development, quests and dialogues to offer enough variety and substance.

I do feel it's somewhat lighter on story, quests and dialogues than some other RPGs like PoE, Pathfinder for example. But while there are some strategy elements that were not in Viking and others that have been removed, I don't feel it's that much different to their previous game (which I haven't finished either), I would even say there's more story - perhaps the fact it's fully voice-acted makes me feel that way.

Again, just a personal impression. I enjoy its tactical combat a lot, and I love the historical setting too, so there's that. But let me give an update past the first arc, in case it becomes too repetitive or if the story becomes too scarce.

At this point I'm just addicted to the game.

Sounds like the game is not unplayable due to bugs at least.

Please keep the reports coming :)

I'll keep on procrastinating on this for a while before trying it or asking for a refund....depends largely on your opinions. My time is limited and I am enjoying my TW3 replay atm. The next game will be Pathfinder 2 or Expeditions: Rome (or something completely different, haven't decided yet :p).

I'll keep on procrastinating on this for a while before trying it or asking for a refund….depends largely on your opinions.

Don't you think you are putting a lot of pressure on Watch testers? ;)

I really like the game as well, I've just finished the first act and returned to Rome and for the most part I've enjoyed the game.

Legion battles were okay, not that fantastic and I would say less fun than the "HOMM" inspired army combat in Wotr but still kind of fun and having the option of "auto-resolve" in case you grow tired of them.

Combat in general I found pretty nice, though sometimes a little too time consuming, partly because of some quite large maps and sometimes due to repeated reinforcements just when you thought the battle was over.

Although, it's probably partly my own fault as well, since I'm playing on hard difficulty which I assume means more enemies and that you need to be more careful with things such as using cover constantly.

Where I feel the game really shines is in it's story, which I find pretty gripping (wouldn't mind at all to see a tv-series following the same general plot). The characters, the voice-acting, the environments all work together to make me wanna see more.

I'm really excited to find out what will happen now, when the initial military campaign is over and done with. ;)

I like the game as well and I will put it on the RPGWatch Steam Curator list.

I feel the pressure in getting unbearable. Yet we'll do our best and soldier on. :D

Time to put more pressure on you all ;)

I also had a feeling Rome (from playing the demo) is more tactics first and story/dialogue second than I prefer in my RPGs.

Now it all depends on you guys to convince me whether it is worthwhile picking it up when its on sale ;)

Also a note, Rome setting is not a selling point for me - I'm rather indifferent to the setting.

Time to put more pressure on you all ;)

I also had a feeling Rome (from playing the demo) is more tactics first and story/dialogue second than I prefer in my RPGs.

Now it all depends on you guys to convince me whether it is worthwhile picking it up when its on sale ;)

Also a note, Rome setting is not a selling point for me - I'm rather indifferent to the setting.

Something I'd like to add: I think that the demo is not representative of the gaming experience, unfortunately, except the combat part with low-levelled characters. There's barely any story at all. So that won't really help you decide if you're more story-oriented.

Then there is the character build to consider, since I believe it's something important for you. It is lighter in Rome than Viking, as you've already seen. I wonder if that wouldn't bother you more than the story / dialogue aspect of the game.

Back
Top Bottom