Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Pricing and Release Dates

intelligent discussion
STFU and go away

Count me in the pretty unimpressed camp. I feel my skepticism was completely justified seeing now what this is all about.
Same here.

The new content seems really unnecessary (and apparently doubles the price of the PC version; why isn´t there a stripped down, cheaper, version for the PC too?) and my "edition" of the game with widescreen mod looks vastly superior to the blurfest they´re showing on the screenshots. 390 of those 400 improvements are likely taken from already available mods (fixpack, TobEx).

I could see how this may be attractive for someone who wants to play the game on iPad, but from a PC user perspective, to me this edition so far actually seems like an inferior product to the original - it´s already rather apparent that the new characters (all three romanceable, btw!) and the added "quest" don´t mesh well with the original content and, more importantly, it looks like crap.

I bet you half of those unspecified 400 "improvements" will just piss me off. Haven't we been told for years how "streamlining" is an improvement? I think I'll wait to buy this until I hear more about it and confirm my beloved autopause options, specifically pause every turn, are intact, and I'll probably wait to see if it's distributed elsewhere — Steam or GOG would be nice — at a later time.

There's are forums for discussing what people want fixed and what was fixed on the official forums.

Also, MDK2 HD made it to Steam (another EE from beamdog), so waiting is probably a good idea if you want another distribution system.

Actually this whole remake is sort of bad from a community point of view. There has not been a game released using the IE for nearly a decade. I think a lot of people would have hoped that the IE source code would have been open-sourced by now. Beamdog/Overhaul Games essentially shows rights owners that you still can squeese extra bucks out of tech more than a decade old. I don't have anything against this effort as they are releasing something and making sure it runs on current platforms. I'm more concerned with old games that can't run on modern operating systems simply because the owners don't think the effort is worthwile and won't open-source it for the community since there still is an odd change of making money from it.

I have no issue with that. If they are really successful with it, it could easily lead to a new IE game being made. I love the modding community, but I'll take a new professionally done IE game over mods any day of the week.

Really? I was expecting practically nothing except changes to the interface.
And were you expecting to pay $20 for those improvements? I don't know why, but at first I thought the Enhanced Edition was going to be a free re-release, sort of a promo for an entirely new game in the series. Charging twenty bucks for a rehashed 15-year-old game, whatever the title, is a joke.

And were you expecting to pay $20 for those improvements? I don't know why, but at first I thought the Enhanced Edition was going to be a free re-release, sort of a promo for an entirely new game in the series. Charging twenty bucks for a rehashed 15-year-old game, whatever the title, is a joke.

The 15 years old game sell for $10 on digital stores right now. Who ever though this was going to be free is a bit out of touch.

Also, I don't mind paying $8-$10 more for the new content, improvements and better mod support. Especially, if it mean more isometric RPGs in the future.

Utterly unimpressed. What a waste of time and expectations.

And screw the PC version being twice the price for a few minor additions. That doesn't justify it at all...

The only thing that makes me nervous is that they've been somewhat vague about the zoom feature. They've confirmed that the iOS version will definitely have it, but they haven't really talked about that feature for the PC version.

I agree about the graphics though. The visuals in general, and particularly the backgrounds, look significantly improved over the original game. It's a definite purchase for me.
The backgrounds look improved? Are you kidding me? They look BLURRY, not improved. I'm utterly at a loss for words if you truly think the backgrounds look better than the original game.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this. Does the EE update BG1, expansions and BG2? Or does it just update BG1 with the features from BG2?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this. Does the EE update BG1, expansions and BG2? Or does it just update BG1 with the features from BG2?
It is basically a port of BG1+expansion to the BG2 engine. Which, I might add, has been done years ago with free mods.

The backgrounds look improved? Are you kidding me? They look BLURRY, not improved. I'm utterly at a loss for words if you truly think the backgrounds look better than the original game.

Not the exact same area, but a comparison of trees for instance:

New:
screen02.jpg

Old:
bg_back3.gif

The trees in the old one look nice, by are fairly pixilated. The trees in the new one look vivid and real.

If you think that is just blurred, you are mistaken.

Larian's remastered Divine Divinity costs 6 bucks. Fuck this. At this price i'm not going to buy this game for the third time for a battle arena and a few new chars, that most probably: a)are munchkinized to hell and back b) don't mesh well with the original game.

If you think that is just blurred, you are mistaken.

I'm looking right at the picture of the new trees you posted and they are absolutely blurred. Do you have eyes? Looks like someone stuck a blur filter over every tree. It's a mess. if you can't see that, you might want to get your eyes tested since it's not really a matter of opinion.

As a PC game I doubt that this enough of an improvement over BG TuTu to make it worthwhile.

The IPAD is another story. Any BG would shine compared to what is available.

I'm looking right at the picture of the new trees you posted and they are absolutely blurred. Do you have eyes? Looks like someone stuck a blur filter over every tree. It's a mess. if you can't see that, you might want to get your eyes tested since it's not really a matter of opinion.

Wow, not a matter of opinion? You used the blue filter yourself?

Wow… those new trees look bad: dull, dark, depressing, greenish brooooooown.
The old ones look so vibrant and full of life.
Is there a law that states that the number of colors should be inversely proportional to the amount of pixels and/or polygons?

Seems pointless to rage over the price… unlike obamacare you aren't forced to buy it (U.S. residents only). For me, $20 isn't much to pay to not only get an updated version but one that will work well on a modern PC OS - that alone is worth the price for me considering I loved the BG series.

And if I did have a problem with the price, I'd do what I always do… I'd just wait for a sale down the road and buy it then. Or not at all if I felt I needed to vote with my wallet.

Back
Top Bottom