Fallout: New Vegas - Best RPG at Golden Joystick Awards

Who cares it was released last year so it shouldn't be part of the 2011 vote. It's as simple as that honestly but thank you for the answer.:p

It's the 2011 Golden Joystick Awards, not the Golden Joystick Awards for 2011 games.

I don't think it is fair to compare New Vegas and Witcher 2 . . . . . . . So it is not fair to compare the two on the bases of gameplay and story alone. Considering all of these aspects, Witcher 2 wins easily.

That is wins for "you" easily. there fixed that for ya.

OTH, the awards were based on 2 million plus voters, it seems gamers overall think otherwise.

TW2 is amazing game , FNV is amazing game that is reportedly one of the biggest RPGs (in size).

With all my love for TW2 i can hardly argue.

That is wins for "you" easily. there fixed that for ya.

OTH, the awards were based on 2 million plus voters, it seems gamers overall think otherwise.

I have enjoyed every second of F:NV, and have played it so far twice (with more than 100 hours) and every time I play it I discover new things. It is an excellent rpg with memorable stories. What I was saying is that the weaknesses of the Witcher 2 are balanced by its technical achievements that are overlooked. As the others mention, the bottom line, the important one, is the gaming experience and F:NV is a well deserved winner. However, I would have thought that the selection process should be more balanced to include the overall process that has lead to the final gaming experience.

I'm surprised that DA2 didnt take it, quite frankly.

Havent played NV yet, but both DA2 and Witcher2 were both shadows of the original games imo, so it probably deserved to win if it *improved* on the experience of the original Fallout3 instead.

The Witcher 2, a "shadow of the original game?" That's one of the strangest comments I've heard in a while... I can understand liking the first one over the second, but geez...to each his own I guess. I thought TW2 improved upon TW1 in almost every way with only a couple minor setbacks, but I suppose that's a subjective thing.

I never felt any emotion when playing the second game, and quite frankly couldnt wait for it to be over.

Dont get me wrong, my pulse quickened during some of the fights and there was some okay quests.. but come on. That's not what I'm looking for. Some of the Witcher 1 quests like the noonwraith, in fact that entire chapter's ending w/ the Lady of the Lake knighting Geralt, etc. It stirred genuine emotion in me like a game seldom ever does, and Witcher 2 did not ever make me feel anything more than some big political macrocosm which ultimately I really didnt care about.

The Witcher's settings, all the memorable characters, the horror elements, the variety of monsters aplenty, the fun that I had w/ the original Witcher had me play thru it repeatedly. I wouldnt say that Witcher 2 was a bad game, but when held up against it predecessor I feel that it was fairly weak in comparison.

TW2 is amazing game , FNV is amazing game that is reportedly one of the biggest RPGs (in size).

With all my love for TW2 i can hardly argue.

Yep, I forgot about 2W2. I acutally liked 2w2more the Witcher 2. But that end boss was sort like Riven's. I also like Venetica and yes I even liked Witcher 2.

Witcher 2 did not ever make me feel anything more than some big political macrocosm which ultimately I really didnt care about.

In some sense, I think that may have even been intentional since Geralt himself also didn't care about any of the politics, but nonetheless try as he might, he kept getting caught up in it.

I agree that there The Witcher 2 in some aspects could be considered a step back, the story could have gave us something to care about instead of just having to choose between the lesser of two evils, but I think in some ways it was a step forward. It's a bit of a mixed bag but I still think it was a good game.

I'd be really hard pressed to see how someone could think that between TW2 and DA2 that DA2 was the better game and/or sequel, but there's all sorts of opinions out there and they don't all have to make sense to me.

Dajjer said:
I guess I was one of the few that liked Witcher 1 better than 2, so there ya go.
xSamhainx said:
Dont get me wrong, my pulse quickened during some of the fights and there was some okay quests.. but come on. That's not what I'm looking for. Some of the Witcher 1 quests like the noonwraith, in fact that entire chapter's ending w/ the Lady of the Lake knighting Geralt, etc. It stirred genuine emotion in me like a game seldom ever does, and Witcher 2 did not ever make me feel anything more than some big political macrocosm which ultimately I really didnt care about.

The Witcher's settings, all the memorable characters, the horror elements, the variety of monsters aplenty, the fun that I had w/ the original Witcher had me play thru it repeatedly. I wouldnt say that Witcher 2 was a bad game, but when held up against it predecessor I feel that it was fairly weak in comparison.

I couldn't agree more with both of these statements, and I suppose I'm also one of the few who preferred the first Witcher over the second.

There weren't any characters in the sequel that I really connected with, nothing that really stood out. In turn, I was anticipating finishing TW2 and putting the game down for good.

TW1 had more than a few moments of interest for me. Chapter/Act IV with Geralt's knighting and the focus of Alvin was very interesting, including the story of the King of the Wild Hunt. There are quite a few characters and areas of interest that I can recall off the top of my head that really piqued my interest as something unique about TW1. I can't say the same for TW2 at all.

I think the political focus of TW2 really crushed my interest as a whole, similar to xSamhainx's experience.

I actually liked the political focus of the second game; the political nature of the story is a refreshing break from usual fantasy tropes, and I enjoy moral quandaries that aren't black and white (also a staple of TW1). I liked TW2's story for reasons that are similar to why I enjoy Game of Thrones: Political intrigue creates a much more believable setting for me than typical "save the day" heroic fantasies or "grand adventures," and I am very glad that a game focused on these elements instead of the usual cliches that are so commonplace throughout RPGs. Dragon Age: Origins, while guilty of being about "saving the world" on the surface, also did a great job of incorporating political dynamics into the story to make it feel much deeper than the darkspawn invasion would have otherwise been (I guess being a "history geek" is partly responsible for my love of "realistic" fantasy settings that feature political struggles; the feudal era of Europe had fascinating plots, power struggles, and traditions that seem terribly under-represented in the fantasy realm based off this time period, and The Witcher franchise helps fill this void).

The Witcher 1 was a great experience for me, but certain parts of the story just seemed to drag on and feel a bit stale, which caused me to lose my connection with the story a bit in the process - but perhaps that is due to the fact that I couldn't stand the Alvin storyline (mainly the character) and absolutely hated dealing with almost any quest related to him. I think the first game's story would have benefited from more political intrigue instead of the path that was ultimately taken, which felt far more like standard fantasy, albeit pulled off extremely well with great choice and consequence implementation and very interesting characters/world lore.

and I suppose I'm also one of the few who preferred the first Witcher over the second.

I wouldn´t be so sure about the "few" quantifier.
At least among the people who liked the first game, I wouldn´t be surprised if there´s actually a bit more of those who consider it overall a better game than the sequel.
I really enjoyed the second game as well, but if I was forced to choose I´d go with the first one. Without going into specifics, the first game is a "classic" for me, whereas the second one, while certainly being a worthy successor of the first and whose continuation I´m looking forward to, is "just" a very good one.

Going more into specifics, part of the above may stem from the fact I didn´t mind and actually quite liked the combat in the original so its somewhat better iteration (at least on the action side) in the sequel didn´t make much of a difference to my enjoyment of both games. I honestly didn´t find much flaws in other game aspects of the original, while I was quite constantly stumbling upon flaws in the sequel - granted, most of these were fairly minor, but it adds up.
The original felt more open and more personal, while in the sequel, despite the C&C stuff, it felt more like you´re sorta taken on a ride without much time to breathe. I´ve also found the original´s atmosphere overall more engaging - the sequel has undoubtedly better graphics, but the art direction in the original is at least as good and it has much better soundtrack and music plays quite a major role in constituting atmosphere in a game for me.
The fourth chapter of the original was something really special.

Speaking of personal, I think the devs missed a major opportunity in this regard when they chose to make discovering Geralt´s past/identity completely non-interactive and independent on player´s choices. It didn´t work this way in the original and I´ve found it quite poignant/cool that the quest was never moved into completed ones in the journal. That it didn´t continue in a similar manner in the sequel and the concept wasn´t expanded upon was quite a big disappointment for me.

I love all the political intrigue in the sequel, branching in the story, visuals or the game´s down to earth ending and Roche just plain rulez, but at the end of the day, the first one was simply a more memorable experience for me overall.

Last edited:
I´ve also found the original´s atmosphere overall more engaging - the sequel has undoubtedly better graphics, but the art direction in the original is at least as good and it has much better soundtrack and music plays quite a major role in constituting atmosphere in a game for me.
The fourth chapter of the original was something really special.

Ah, good point, and one I strongly agree with. Atmosphere is very important to me in an RPG as well, and TW1's (overall) dark setting with slow and well composed music was beautiful. At times, I caught myself going through the music folder and listening to a few songs when I wasn't playing the game.

As for TW2 music, I can't say the same. It just seems thrown together, but I suppose when I'm bored with the game and aiming to finish as soon as possible, that may not justify my opinion toward the musical score of the second. Still, I was bored with it, for the most part.

Are you talking about Two Worlds 2 or The Witcher 2?

I think we've decided that Two Worlds 2 should be 2W2 and The Witcher 2 should be TW2. :)

We're going to have this same problem again when Two Worlds 3 and The Witcher 3 start releasing information on their games.

Yet another well earned award. To me, FNV is simply the best RPG in recent years.

What on earth is a discussion about The Witcher vs The Witcher 2 doing in this thread? I haven't even played the sequel yet gentlemen and I'm sure there are others too...so go easy on the potentially spoiler-laden opinions. ;)

Back on topic, New Vegas at least for me, is a very well deserved winner of the award mentioned. The DLC compilation package can't be released fast enough for me to ge my grubby radiated mits on it.

Back
Top Bottom