Need recommendation

Personally, I enjoyed Conquistadors more than I did Vikings. So, if you liked Vikings, I think at a minimum you'd also enjoy the first game. Nothing against the second game, just stacked against one another I preferred the first.

Hey all :)
Was looking at Kingdoms of Amalur - is this any good?

It's like playing a single-player MMO.

I think what you need is a game like the Quest, which is a little like M&M meets Elder Scrolls, or Runestone Keeper, or Slay the Spire. All of those are essentially turn-based. Good luck!

You could try Hero-U or Bard's Tale 4. Both very different games but fun in their own rights. Hero-U is very charming with its characters but BT4 is charming in another way. I liked 'em both this year.

You could always try some older dungeon crawlers to break it up a little. One of the more accessible and probably most story oriented that I can think of is Lands of Lore. It's party based, there's some banter here and there which I know you like being a Bioware fan. With the voice acting of Patrick Stewart it's quite charming; plus the lighter spritely fairy-tale setting and fantastic dungeon design made it very memorable to me.
Curiously my younger sister even beat it back in the day and she doesn't even play RPGs. :)

Other mentions:
Legend of Grimrock 2
World of Xeen
Avadon Trilogy (Another vote from me as they are quite Bioware-lite story wise as far as Vogel games go.)

I know of countless CRPGs of all kinds of subgenres and levels of complexity.

I would probably need a few more hints in terms of "what kind" of CRPG you're looking for, beyond the lack of complexity.

The first game that comes to mind would be Fable - because it's simple, charming - and doesn't require much from the player. I would also assume it's so cheap these days as to be essentially free.

But if you give me a few more hints as to "subgenre" and examples of past games that would fit the bill if you hadn't played them - I can probably offer a few suggestions.

If it's mostly about "short sessions" - then the MMO genre is more or less based around that for the modern iteration.

There are many "singleplayer MMOs" out there which might serve to satisfy - and in which you can play for 10 minutes and feel like you've progressed.

Naturally, however, there are certain differences from pure singleplayer games that might not suit your preferences.

But, on the upside, most of them are free to play and try out.

Hey all :)

I'm looking for RPG (or games with RPG elements) I can play in short bursts (so… nothing as complex as Kingmaker!)

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Its an "Action RPG" these days and similar to latest Bioware offerings when it comes to RPG systems.

I have been playing it for over 2 months now and its an excellent game. I have clocked in about 80 hours and I am about 70% of the main story. I have been playing it in short burst as well, 1 hour here and 2 hours there. Normally I get bored of games if I did that but Odyssey has kept me entertained and I am still playing it! I reckon I will finish it by end of December, so thats good 3 months this game have kept me interested!

Did anyone mention Wiz 8; it is old but the graphics are not that bad for the age and it is a lot of fun. Be sure to install the mod that speeds up combat. Basically it allows you to set the speed of the animation between actions (it is turn base); the default is quite horrible.

I know of countless CRPGs of all kinds of subgenres and levels of complexity.

I would probably need a few more hints in terms of "what kind" of CRPG you're looking for, beyond the lack of complexity.

The first game that comes to mind would be Fable - because it's simple, charming - and doesn't require much from the player. I would also assume it's so cheap these days as to be essentially free.

But if you give me a few more hints as to "subgenre" and examples of past games that would fit the bill if you hadn't played them - I can probably offer a few suggestions.

If it's mostly about "short sessions" - then the MMO genre is more or less based around that for the modern iteration.

There are many "singleplayer MMOs" out there which might serve to satisfy - and in which you can play for 10 minutes and feel like you've progressed.

Naturally, however, there are certain differences from pure singleplayer games that might not suit your preferences.

But, on the upside, most of them are free to play and try out.
I agree with Fable. Totally forgot about that. It's quite good. For anyone interested in getting it, get "Fable: The Lost Chapters", not Fable Anniversary. The latter was a remaster that was genuinely worse than the original PC port.

I agree with Fable. Totally forgot about that. It's quite good. For anyone interested in getting it, get "Fable: The Lost Chapters", not Fable Anniversary. The latter was a remaster that was genuinely worse than the original PC port.

I've played all versions, and the most recent one is (imo) the best after some tweaking.

I don't remember the details, but I believe it was FPS locked and suffered some issues that you can get around somehow.

I'm so used to fixing games and tweaking them to my preferences that I forget the details after a few weeks ;)

However, it's the kind of game you want to play with a controller - if you have one.

But, visually, it's significantly prettier than the original/LC version.

I've played all versions, and the most recent one is (imo) the best after some tweaking.

I don't remember the details, but I believe it was FPS locked and suffered some issues that you can get around somehow.

I'm so used to fixing games and tweaking them to my preferences that I forget the details after a few weeks ;)

However, it's the kind of game you want to play with a controller - if you have one.

But, visually, it's significantly prettier than the original/LC version.
Right, it's probably better with a controller. However, the keyboard + mouse support is far superior in the original. It's particularly easy to notice when going through menus, as most stuff in the original is easily mapped and accessed, whereas the remaster requires shuffling through them as if you're on a controller even when you're not. I found that extremely annoying.

Right, it's probably better with a controller. However, the keyboard + mouse support is far superior in the original. It's particularly easy to notice when going through menus, as most stuff in the original is easily mapped and accessed, whereas the remaster requires shuffling through them as if you're on a controller even when you're not. I found that extremely annoying.

It's definitely a console-centric port.

Beyond that, Fable 2 is only on console - and the Fable 3 PC port is worse still.

So, if purple is only on PC - maybe it's not the best suggestion.

Still, it's a nice little snack game that you can finish in 15-20 hours even if you exhaust the content.

The only reason to play Fable today is if someone wants a mediocre boring game with multiple marriages.
So no. Avoid.

I suggest the same game @lostforever; did. A bit of it here, a bit of it there.

Additionally I suggest not touching any mmo that isn't LoL. If one needs to lower IQ, go for phonegames instead.

Well, I enjoyed it. In fact, I still replay it from time to time. Only the first one though, and only the version I mentioned. I've played through the others, but it's not something I'm likely to do again anytime soon.

The thing I like about Fable is the emphasis on a more vibrant world than most RPGs, which gives it an enjoyable atmosphere. It's a happy game, where death, plagues and curses generally don't lurk around every corner, so it feels a bit refreshing to me.

Yes, I agree - it's a nice and pleasant fairy tale with a rare breed of old-fashioned charm.

It's by no means a miracle or anything - but well worth playing. It's also got a surprisingly solid amount of build variety - which is one of the reasons I mentioned it. I know purple likes that sort of stuff, and you can create whatever hybrid you want in Fable.

I've replayed it a few times and will probably do so again in a few years.

I also think Fable 2 is excellent and similarly unique in terms of feel, but that's Xbox only IIRC.

Fable 3, however, I never really played much - as it ran like crap on PC and didn't seem to add much to the formula.

Fable is "sort of" like Kingdoms of Amalur - if KoA was a smaller scale singleplayer game, instead of a grindy and repetitive MMO-like experience.

There's something to be said for smaller games that can be enjoyed for what they are.

With that said, Fable is absolutely nothing compared to what Molyneux originally promised - which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I can understand that.

Key is to not expect much and enjoy what's there.

Not everything has to be the best thing ever - I don't think.

Avadon Trilogy (Another vote from me as they are quite Bioware-lite story wise as far as Vogel games go.)

I just bought it and will try it out :)

Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Its an "Action RPG" these days and similar to latest Bioware offerings when it comes to RPG systems.

Definitely interested but I will wait for the sale :) I've spent a lot of money lately, I'm trying to limit my spending lol.

Well, like I mentioned in other thread, I enjoy party based, isometric, fantasy setting, RTwP, plenty of NPC interaction with good humor/light tone.

But then I'm hoping I can expand my horizon a bit... and failing horribly lol. Pretty much if you say something along the line of "this game is old-Bioware-esque" then you got my attention lol.

That's why I'm trying out Avadon Trilogy (Pessimeister said it's "quite Bioware-lite story wise") and will be checking out PoE2 at some point next year since Morrandir said likely I will enjoy it) :)

Well, like I mentioned in other thread, I enjoy party based, isometric, fantasy setting, RTwP, plenty of NPC interaction with good humor/light tone.

But then I'm hoping I can expand my horizon a bit… and failing horribly lol. Pretty much if you say something along the line of "this game is old-Bioware-esque" then you got my attention lol.

That's certainly a tall order considering the miniscule amount of games that do all of those things.

However, there is one game that comes to mind that does pretty much everything you're asking for - and which is both cheap and much better than you would think:

Dungeon Siege 2.

I know others have mentioned it, but it's worth repeating. It's much, much better than the first game - and has a LOT of story/lore and plenty of NPC interaction.

It's party-based, it's fantasy, it's RtWP, it's isometric, it's got plenty of lighthearted stuff - and it has neat character skills, tons of cool spells, and nice loot.

You should check it out :)

I don't recommend Dungeon Siege 2; i mean it was ok but even on the day of release it was just ok; there are better games today. I suppose it might be cheap but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom