The Witcher 2 - On the Spot @ Gamespot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameSpot's On the Spot video feature has an interview with Tomasz Gop from CD Projekt Red about The Witcher 2 (fast forward to around 4:40). Tomasz covers some familiar points but the footage is completely new as far as I know. You'll see a village in a rocky area and some combat, with a few grabs of the UI, over about 12 minutes. Worth a look.
More information.

I wish they could have had a better video for the the preview. Watching it is fine, but it's certainly not in a good resolution and doesn't do the game justice.

As tempted as I am to check this out, I'm not going to watch it. I'd rather not see any potential spoiler material before I play TW2.

As tempted as I am to check this out, I'm not going to watch it. I'd rather not see any potential spoiler material before I play TW2.

Good show. I already self-imposed a ban on everything Thief, soon to follow by Deus Ex & Skyrim.

I know it`s addictive & fun to be a news junkie, but do you really want to strip a fave game of all it`s surprises?

@Dhruin: I`m liking the "Gamepot". Freudian slip? ;)

Is it weird for me to be interested in this more than dragonage 2? My only problem will be the QTE events like uncharted and force unleashed. Its a shame it was pushed back to may.

Last edited:
I wish they could have had a better video for the the preview. Watching it is fine, but it's certainly not in a good resolution and doesn't do the game justice.

Yeah, but it is stated that it does not represent the final product.

It's risky showing pre-beta footage. Even if it to explain gameplay instead of graphics, some people will not look beyond.

The quality of the other video of other demos (prison break, fight in the forest and battlefield endboss) I've seen have been better videocaptures and showed better graphics, so we don't have anything to worry about. Also a small camera problem, which also wasn't an isue in previous footage which makes me think this is somewhat of an earlier build?

There were no storyline spoilers, only spoilers about how combining combat and magic will work (but that's not really a spoiler is it?) and a sidequest was shown which wouldn't tie in to the main story. Also sidequests can have mulitple paths. I also like that some detective work that uses Geralts expertise as a witcher will feature in the game.

Now you can pick up more items for in your inventory and can change what Geralt wears. In The Witcher getting armors was either tied to a quest and only one armor could be bought (expensive!). Now enemies can drop armors amongst other loot, which Geralt than can wear. So it seems to be a step away from how limited armor availability was is in games like The Witcher/Gothics/Risen. But I'm not sure if this means the invenory system also moves away from volume grid management. All I saw was a type list inventory and a weight stat. From the looks of it inventory management will be solely weight stat based and no longer take in consideration volume.

Obviously some location names and the name of a group of soldiers you fight against maybe considered spoilers. But since I haven't read the books, those names don't really mean anything to me. That'll probably change once I play the game, though.

Last edited:
There was a slight camera problem when he came in very tight spot. But which game has none ?

As for spoilers.

Its Witcher game. And every playtrough might be completely different (he even says himself)

The biggest reveal for me was itemitisation. Loot drops - he says at least hundred different visual armor combinations.

Nice demo of a solving a side quest with lots of combat and use of some investigative skills. I'm liking it, but the combat does look VERY similar to TW1, so I am not getting what has changed.

Also, a radial menu that pauses during combat to choose spells or sword styles. Sweet!

No matter how much I like BioWare games, I'm glad I went for a pre-order on this one instead of DA2.

Back
Top Bottom