The Banner Saga - News Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I found three more articles for The Banner Saga. The most interesting one is from Dual Shockers about Stoic getting sued for using Saga in the games title.

Today we reported about Candy Crush developer King.com setting its sights on the titles of the games of smaller studios after trademarking the word “Candy,” but that’s not all, as found by NeoGaf user Xater.

King also filed an opposition document against indie developer Stoic’s recently released and increasingly popular tactical RPG The Banner Saga, citing its own trademarks including the word “saga” as a base for oppposition due to potential confusion.
They also have a response from Stoic on the matter.

Earlier today we reported about a trademark opposition claim filed by Candy Crush Saga’s developer King.com against The Banner Saga’s indie dev Stoic about the use of the word “saga” in the title of the game.

Stoic just gave a rather “stoic” (not to mention tongue-in-cheek) reply to the claim on Twitter:

"Dictionary defines Saga: A medieval Icelandic or Norse prose narrative of achievements and events in the history of a personage, family, etc."

"Support us and all future indie SAGAs, by playing #TheBannerSaga http://ow.ly/sOzgD "
Next Rock Paper Shotgun shares their verdict on the game.

Separated from all else by a great storm that ripped the land asunder, Alec and Adam huddle on a fragile, knife-shaped peninsula to watch the world freeze and die. They dream of old gods, they think of roads not taken, they mourn for the lost. And they have a right old natter about Stoic’s recently released, uncommonly beautiful, Viking-inspired roleplaying/strategy/giants’n'conversation game The Banner Saga.
And for last iDigital Times has a review calling the game the first GOTY contender.

The good news is that there is already a lot of love for this game, which was the brainchild of some former BioWare employees and funded (in part) on Kickstarter. The team at Stoic has laid a monumental foundation so let's hope they continue to build and build and build some more.
More information.

ridiculous, who calls Candy Crush that? "Honey I played to level 310 in Candy Crush Saga!" <- said no one ever.

It's Candy Crush. And please - Saga? This is blatant gold digging. Saga is pretty much a generic word like "The". Only the Lawyers will get paid for this waste of time.

That is truly ridiculous. People have lost all perspective. All lawyers must hang.

Judges should ban or at least penalize lawyers who agree to take cases like this.

where is the integrity ?

on the other hand, this can only help Stoic's publicity.

Not sure how much it hurts King )).. I don't see their target market as very opinionated or coherent

ridiculous, who calls Candy Crush that? "Honey I played to level 310 in Candy Crush Saga!" <- said no one ever.

It's Candy Crush. And please - Saga? This is blatant gold digging. Saga is pretty much a generic word like "The". Only the Lawyers will get paid for this waste of time.

It's especially ridiculous since the USPTO suspended their effort to trademark "Saga" back in December. They are also currently seeking trademark protection on the word "Candy" despite a cursory search turning up several thousand existing games with "candy" already in their title.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...ictionary-name-kings-tenuous-candy-trademark/

Stoic should be sued for the small fonts used. So they can mend the game UI accordingly with fonts of READABLE size.

It's especially ridiculous since the USPTO suspended their effort to trademark "Saga" back in December. They are also currently seeking trademark protection on the word "Candy" despite a cursory search turning up several thousand existing games with "candy" already in their title.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...ictionary-name-kings-tenuous-candy-trademark/

I had read that they already won their "Candy" claim. I want to see this company (and the career of that judge) BURN.

Back
Top Bottom