ELEX - More Reviews

Yeah, the game is definitely worth sticking with. I'm enjoying it more than any RPG since Skyrim released in 2011.

Sounds good. The sense I'm getting is that the majority of PB fans consider it the best PB game since Gothic 2 - which is saying something.

I can't wait until I have enough time to devote to it.

What I dislike most in the game is that I can't make my own character and the character PB chose. Once again we play a character that is really weak considering his background. Just like G2 and G3 as well as Witcher 3.

2) Shadowbeasts, Orcs and such exist in the world and can be encountered at low levels, but the player is never tasked with killing them at that point. The quests that involve such creatures are only handed out later on.

True for the most part, but there are some exceptions. There's a quest involving the recruitment of a certain companion that I thought was very poorly balanced.

True for the most part, but there are some exceptions. There's a quest involving the recruitment of a certain companion that I thought was very poorly balanced.

Is that Caja? You dont have to do the companion's quest to get her, simple meet her outside the domed city and tell her to follow you instead of asking about her quest.

Is that Caja? You dont have to do the companion's quest to get her, simple meet her outside the domed city and tell her to follow you instead of asking about her quest.

No, I was referring to…

Nasty. It's possible to meet her while still at a fairly low level, and the player is given no hint before accepting her 2nd request about how difficult it is. That one probably should have been scaled in some form or another.

Caja's quests are easy because you can see what you're up against beforehand,
and you can do them at your leisure even after the quests are activated.

No, I was referring to…

Nasty. It's possible to meet her while still at a fairly low level, and the player is given no hint before accepting her 2nd request about how difficult it is. That one probably should have been scaled in some form or another.

Caja's quests are easy because you can see what you're up against beforehand,
and you can do them at your leisure even after the quests are activated.

That is true, that second quest should have been locked until you get to the next chapter.

Sounds good. The sense I'm getting is that the majority of PB fans consider it the best PB game since Gothic 2 - which is saying something.

I can't wait until I have enough time to devote to it.

Crazy enough, but yeah, PB fans are largely saying it's their best game since Gothic 2. I would definitely agree with that.

I'm really impressed by some aspects of it, like the huge-yet-handcrafted world exploration, the large scale of it all and the overall choices with consequences, which are just very impressive at times.

So when you guys say you can’t beat these enemies at low level, is it really impossible like baldurs gate where a level 1 could never kill a level 20 or is it more like dark souls where if your good enough you can kill any enemy in the game even at level 1?

Dark Souls? You mean a type of a game that is ment to be played like this 24/7:

PQGYFTg.gif

QlazOlL.gif

No. Elex is not about grind.
If a group of low level trashmobs aggro on you and you're not careful, you'll die regardless of protagonist's level in Elex.

Elex is also antifastrun game. You can't rush to the last scene and pwn it with, dunno, flamethrower cc for example. You have to build your character - it's RPG.

Last edited:
Dark Souls? You mean a type of a game that is ment to be played like this 24/7:

PQGYFTg.gif

QlazOlL.gif

No. Elex is not about grind.
If a group of low level trashmobs aggro on you and you're not careful, you'll die regardless of protagonist's level in Elex.

Your misunderstanding of dark souls is only surpassed by your misunderstanding of the word scam but at least the second part of you post answers my question.

Too bad it would be nice if enemies we’re beatable if you had enough skill but it’s not a game breaker.

Man, I've posted elsewhere asian soaps are my guilty pleasure. Can't get enough of those.
Will I say you're misunderstanding them? No, they're trash, I'm aware of that, but I enjoy that junk abnormally. Me adoring them doesn't mean anyone misunderstood anything.

So forgive me, but grinding is not something I misunderstand. It's something I despise.

Note that because of trashmobs respawning mechanics you can still grind in Elex. However, thanks to huge XP gain from quests and sidequests plus skills that net you more than enough of $ whatever character type you're roleplaying, doing it is a complete waste of time.

Too bad it would be nice if enemies we’re beatable if you had enough skill

No thank you. It was terrible when they tried that in Risen 3. Made the game a complete pushover for people with decent stick skills. The community was upset and they fixed it (very well, I might add) in ELEX.

ELEX is 100% an RPG that depends on stats, equipment and your abilities. Player skill is still considered, i.e. you can handle a somewhat tougher fight if you're good, and it also rewards cleverness, i.e. you can find powerful or expensive scrolls to help, or grab a bundle of grenades, etc., but a lot of fights will simply be impossible until your character has better:

1 - Abilities
2 - Equipment
3 - A companion

No thank you. It was terrible when they tried that in Risen 3. Made the game a complete pushover for people with decent stick skills. The community was upset and they fixed it (very well, I might add) in ELEX.

ELEX is 100% an RPG that depends on stats, equipment and your abilities. Player skill is still considered, i.e. you can handle a somewhat tougher fight if you're good, and it also rewards cleverness, i.e. you can find powerful or expensive scrolls to help, or grab a bundle of grenades, etc., but a lot of fights will simply be impossible until your character has better:

1 - Abilities
2 - Equipment
3 - A companion

Then risen 3 did it wrong. The souls series and souls like games do it and are extremely challenging. It doesn’t matter though I have no intention of turning this into a PB games vs DS thread. They’re different types of games and I play them for different reasons. I mearly referenced it to get an idea of the system used.

I’ll pick the game up tomorrow and find out for myself. Thanks for the reply.

Too bad it would be nice if enemies we’re beatable if you had enough skill but it’s not a game breaker.

Actually all the PB games so far (aside from Elex) you can do this.
I finished Risen 1-2 last year again with 1 point in swords, minimal points in str (just enough to be able to wield the sword). Everything can be killed by dodge and repeated strikes. Just dont' get hit, it'll one shot you.

As for Gothic, we literally played a forum game seeing how far you can go on level 1 because dodge is so powerful.

While its fun, I'm glad they changed up the formula a bit.

Then risen 3 did it wrong. The souls series and souls like games do it and are extremely challenging. It doesn’t matter though I have no intention of turning this into a PB games vs DS thread. They’re different types of games and I play them for different reasons. I mearly referenced it to get an idea of the system used.

It's not about doing it "wrong". It's a design choice. Souls games are challenging and can be solo'd at level 1, great. You can't do that in ELEX. They force you to use the RPG mechanics to level up, get better gear and abilities.

You can kill much stronger enemies up to a point. It's just very difficult without utilizing NPCs to help.

True. And you can spend 2 hours on a boss like the IGN reviewer if you really want to, I guess. Obviously not how the game was designed to be played, though.

True. And you can spend 2 hours on a boss like the IGN reviewer if you really want to, I guess. Obviously not how the game was designed to be played, though.

One day, you'll stop worrying so much about how other people choose to play and realize not everyone lives in Fluent's world. ;)

One day, you'll stop worrying so much about how other people choose to play.

Uh, okay?

Next review I do I'll choose to fight an impossible troll at level 1 and spend 2 hours fighting it then complain to my 9 million subscribers how the game is broken.

I'll then play Dark Souls and run directly into a wall then complain how the wall won't move allowing me to progress.

Hey, more power to you if that's what you want to do. But don't be upset if I call that NOT playing the game how it was designed to be played.

If, on the other hand, you think PB designed the game to spend 2 hours fighting a troll, by all means, go ahead and make that argument. I'll wait. :)

Like I said, Fluent's world.

In the real world, people like to try different things even if they might seem odd or counterintuitive to you.

I'm just poking fun at you though. You act like sakichop wants to commit a sin. ;)

Back
Top Bottom