After Reset - Kickstarter Now Live

First off, I am in the camp of "we need more RPGs, back any that seem legit because there's a massive drop in Kickstarter backers." So I would normally, but the dev seems to not understand what we're saying. A new developer is LUCKY to get a 100k, but 900k? Not going to happen. I wish more RPGs could get funded, but the developers themselves have to have realistic goals and analyze the market they're seeking money from. Anyone who has paid attention to KS knows many big RPGs aren't hitting low goals of 100k. To hit 900k you need to have released a few big hits... that's just a fact.

Maybe they could have done it back when Doublefine made news, many small, new developers were making it, but those days are long over. Check out 3 games I eagerly want to play: Lords of Xulima, Deathfire and Greywalkers: Purgatory. Of the 3, only Deathfire is doing so-so and that's because it's a well-known developer that's been behind some legendary RPGs, and even he's having trouble reaching a much lesser amount (390k), and the other two have very interesting old school designs. LoX alone is near beta status and is barely hitting any stretch goals, despite having video proof of being in working condition and fairly true to its roots.

" If you remember that devs had to cut off possibility of killing children in Fallout, then you know what I mean."

I don't remember that, on account of I was too busy murdering countless children in Fallout 1 and 2...

To me there's way too much negativity in this thread over the ambition of their goal. It is a more realistic target for a decently-made CRPG than many kickstarters I've seen. If you like the concept, believe the pitch, and want the game, then the target shouldn't be an issue. If it doesn't make it, then you've lost nothing by pledging. Ignore the pathological whiners. :p

BTW, as far as the game having "anti-American propaganda", I say, better than all the pro-American propaganda US media pumps out into the world. Honestly, those of us with intellect above a drooling Walmart zombie can spot propaganda or attempts at brainwashing. It might actually be refreshing for the USA to not be the "beacon of freedom and the purveyor of democracy and happiness the world over".

To me there's way too much negativity in this thread over the ambition of their goal. It is a more realistic target for a decently-made CRPG than many kickstarters I've seen. If you like the concept, believe the pitch, and want the game, then the target shouldn't be an issue. If it doesn't make it, then you've lost nothing by pledging. Ignore the pathological whiners. :p
It isn't that the amount of money they're asking for is too much. I'm sure most people realize it's a reasonable amount (or maybe even too little) to make the game that's promised here. It's just that people know this Kickstarter has no chance of ever reaching that goal. That's not negativity, it's realism...and disappointment that a good game idea will never get made (if this Kickstarter's success is a requirement, anyway). But yeah, nothing lost by pledging - maybe a miracle will happen.

Well, I salute the dev for providing a realistic estimate of the cost to get the work done. However, I have no idea about the market for this funding level, and frankly, I think he needs a resume and plan that shows he can do this.

I'm jumping with joy for every Fallout "clone". Backed. :)MrNixon, I really hope you have a plan B though.
Thanks. And yes, I do :) Even C and D.

basically there are two states of mind on a 'hopeless' project like this one. You can think "it's not going to make it, why bother pledging" and "I'll pledge, it probably won't make it so I don't lose anything, but if it does, this is the type of game I would like to play". I prefer the 2nd approach.
Good positive point :)

I think that the only way for a Kickstarter like this to succeed is if it brings in alot of cash the first couple of days. Then other people start to realize it can actually make it and start to chip in.
Yeah, pr guys said the same. I thought to put another $100-150k of my own via different accounts... but I declined that ides... It would be unfair. Lets see together what will happen if someone keeps honest with the players and kicks off tricky pr :)

Avellone, the all-knowing source of truth ;)
No offense Dart our to anybody else, but I'll take a veteran of the industry's word over a few forum posters any day. Especially one who has made some of my best RPGs.;)

Unfortunately your project doesn't have a good KS campaign. You triped yourself during the start (you had to change your pledge levels/rewards, from what I see in the comment section, and didn't even have comprehensive FAQ).
Add to fact that you are unknown and well you kinda sound cynical, it's a bit off putting.

Yeah, pr guys said the same. I thought to put another $100-150k of my own via different accounts… but I declined that ides… It would be unfair. Lets see together what will happen if someone keeps honest with the players and kicks off tricky pr :)

It is a good thing you didn't do that. There are some shady project's that did this, and burned the backers. Could have even destroyed your future campaign. (if the kicktraq showed surge of backers with high amount of money, yet not many that pledge on lower levels)

Still, I do hope you get to make the game you want. One way or the other.

BTW, as far as the game having "anti-American propaganda", I say, better than all the pro-American propaganda US media pumps out into the world. Honestly, those of us with intellect above a drooling Walmart zombie can spot propaganda or attempts at brainwashing. It might actually be refreshing for the USA to not be the "beacon of freedom and the purveyor of democracy and happiness the world over".

I guess if you are speaking of games like Call of Duty, although I have never played that game, so I can't really confirm. Anyway, Pro-American, or Anti-Amercan, I tend be put off by nationalist propaganda of any sort, personally. I mean, I may give it a try, but if the game ends up being bellicose, Pravda like propaganda, then that would be a turn off.

No offense Dart our to anybody else, but I'll take a veteran of the industry's word over a few forum posters any day. Especially one who has made some of my best RPGs.;)

There are no Kickstarter veterans at this point - it's too new for that.

However, if you think his involvement with games you like makes him a Kickstarter expert - that's fair enough.

I guess we should just go ahead and make him president of the world as well? ;)

Fist bumb.

Pro tip:

Don't commit public suicide by supporting your minority supporters openly on a public forum.

That said, the Watch is a very small site, so it's probably not a big deal. But if you want to advertise your game elsewhere, it's not a good approach at all.

Trust me :)

It turns to look as if potential backers reproach this KS with depriving them from the opportunity of playing a half botched product.
The deal is clear: the amount of money is set to ensure the delivery on the vision.
If it collects the required money, then it is made. If not, well, it wont.
This way is much preferred over projects that aim low in terms of budget, hoping the momentum will get them to the level of funding they require to deliver on their vision.
With that approach, you end with playing products that scream more funding was required.
Better play nothing rather than play bad products that are not even games.
Even though it appears that potential backers would prefer to play bad products that are not even games over no playing games.

I have to ask this. When people ask for money on KS for a game project, what do they use it for? Food, rent, car payments, PCs to develop the game on, wages for staff, cushy offices, hot secretary?

Spell it out, where does the money go?

Dont forget: paying back student loans.

Yet the difference is thin: in all cases, video game developpers pay themselves wages that are used to make similar things: buying food, rent, car payments, pay back their mortgages etc

Be they big corporations or indies. The notorious difference is that indies start to milk the compulsive need of buying games. Usually, big corps keep churning out quality products with gaming content while KS projects turn to end devoid of any gameplay. They are just engines.

It's much more professional to ask for an ambitious budget that will actually be sufficient to realize their goal, rather than ask for a small sum that will never be enough to produce a satisfying product.

Perhaps setting a realistic goal is more important than being professional.

Not that I know if this game can pull it off or not. Seems to me there are many Fallout fans - so I wouldn't know.

If it is realistic goal or realistic budget, I'd prefer the latter. As a customer. If your goal is to make money, you might decide otherwise.

If it is realistic goal or realistic budget, I'd prefer the latter. As a customer. If your goal is to make money, you might decide otherwise.

I prefer something that's actually going to happen - but that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom