PC Year in Review 2007 @ IGN

magerette

Hedgewitch
Over at IGN, they've put together a massive "State of the Platform" look at the past year in PC gaming, including sales figures, company mergers, console inroads and what's coming in 2008 as well as top ten lists of the biggest games of the year in sales and exposure, and their own reader's picks.
Here's a little from the intro:
Welcome to IGN's 2007 Year in Review for the biggest and baddest platform, the PC. Over the next seven pages we're going to cover the highest highs and lowest lows, the biggest news and highest reviews of 2007. We're going to look back at the year's events, like E3, GDC and BlizzCon, and see how well PC games kept up with the surging big three consoles. You'll find a list of the year's highest rated and most popular reader titles along with a list of the best selling games of 2007. We'll break down the biggest news of the year and provide a few tips and tricks on the hottest games. And finally, we'll take a look at 2008 and see what's in store for the PC in the fight to retain supremacy in the traditionally PC centered genres.

More information.

For one they don't even mention one of the many rpgs that have come out this year and two I have been thinking for a long time that the stats from NPD are not reliable and may not show the whole picture when it comes to PC game sales. If the stats from NPD were correct then we would be hearing about these companies that make pc games having financial trouble and the talk about sueing pirates would have already started. (the excuse the rest of the entertainment industry likes to give for their financial troubles)

I am expecting that the pc game industry is doing far better then the press thinks and that NPD isn't giving accurate statistics.

I recently heard that Germany is one of the few countries where the PC games sales are actually higher over consoles.

But the Wii has changed that a little bit, too.

IGN staffers did asknoledge that NPD stats may be wrong on several key places in the article. Overall, it was a nice read, but it truly saddens me that there were only 2 or 3 real RPG mentions in it (btw, what good PC only RPGs came out this year that have some qualities as to bear the genre title that were not 1) The Witcher and NWN expansion 2) MMO and 3) half-baked Diablo clones?)

btw, what good PC only RPGs came out this year that have some qualities as to bear the genre title that were not 1) The Witcher and NWN expansion 2) MMO and 3) half-baked Diablo clones?)

Unfortunately, almost nothing. Looking at mainstream gaming, we have Jade Empire (supposedly fun and all, but also considered RPG-lite), and STALKER (again, only some RPG elements). Oh, and Shivering Isles (Oblivion expansion).

Back
Top Bottom