First post with new system

CelticFrost

SasqWatch
I just got my new system, it was here when I got in from work 10 minutes ago and the first I do is post here…

I just got my new system, it was here when I got in from work 10 minutes ago and the first I do is post here…

You've got your priorities .... eh ..... right?

Congratulations, btw.

pibbur who can't remeber what the first thing he did was when his current system was new.

Okay, but… I'm not sure why it didn't add something like:

Sent by my iPhone

:evilgrin:

The only thing that puzzles me, is why have SLI nVidia 1080s in a laptop that has a 1080p display? Even a single 1080 video card will run games on its 1080p display for eternity. Unless you're using external monitors. But then you're kind of going the desktop route again, in which you could have bought a laptop with a 1070 video card AND a desktop with SLI 1080 cards for less than you paid for that laptop?

Last edited:
Because Nvidia has released it for laptops aswell…..

Yepp. Unless I'm completely gone fishing, the GeForce.1080 in laptops is supposed to be the real thing, not a 1080 light.

pibbur who wishes he could justify a couple of 1080's in his floortop machine. Or a new laptop. Unfortunately the WAF is probably non existing.

Last edited:
http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-and-1080-coming-to-gaming-notebooks/

According to our contacts, Nvidia is readying the release of its new 10-series chips for notebooks. The kick is, they won't be M versions of desktop GPUs. They will be the same chips used on the desktops, just operating at a lower TDP—we're told there will be the same number of shader units, etc.
We're also told that Nvidia will not go back to producing separate M versions of its desktop GPUs, which is good news for those looking for better gaming performance on the road or in a desktop replacement type notebook. Traditionally, GeForce M version GPUs were cut down quite a bit compared to their desktop counterparts (e.g. 970M is 1280 cores @ ~993MHz and 970 is 1664 cores @ ~1178MHz).
Given that both the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 are now announced, it's safe to assume that the same chips will be available in notebooks around August/September. With the incredible power efficiency of the new 10-series GPUs, it makes sense for Nvidia to drop its M series GPUs entirely. GTX 1080 has an 180W TDP, uses only one 8-pin power connector, and GTX 1070 only has a 150W TDP. This is a huge drop from GTX 980 Ti's 250W TDP, and we've already seen Nvidia stuff a full GTX 980 (GM204) into notebooks.
Core clocks and voltages are obviously going to be tweaked to bring power down, if our sources are correct. Very likely we will see Nvidia do with GPUs what Intel has been doing with CPUs going back to Sandy Bridge (2nd Gen Core). They'll have a much lower base clock, but they'll be able to turbo up to relatively high clocks under the right workloads. We'll see how this all plays out in a few months. There's also the question of whether this will be for all gaming laptops/notebooks, or just for the larger devices (e.g. GTX 980 for notebooks never made it into anything smaller than 17.3 inches).

It couldn't possibly have the same specs as the desktop version though. If it does, that must be one big laptop.

Some of the new laptops have 2 of the new cards in them. Though the price tag is very large on those ones.

Mhm, I was asking what's the second detail (1080p) about.

Back
Top Bottom