Morrowind - Tamriel Rebuild: 16th Anniversary

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The biggest Morrowind mod ever celebrates the 16th anniversary with a trailer:

Tamriel Rebuilt - The 16th Anniversary Trailer

In 2001, before Morrowind ever released, Tamriel Rebuilt was formed on the Elder Scrolls forums with the goal of one day bringing the Morrowind mainland, and at the time the rest of Tamriel, to The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind once it released. Over 16 years later and the team at Tamriel Rebuilt, while largely changed, is still working hard and striving everyday towards that goal of making a unified Morrowind. Since those first few scattered posts in 2001, over 600 modders have passed through the doors of Tamriel Rebuilt, contributing thousands of new assets, literature, art, music, dungeons, towns and cities, and so much more to the project.
By far the largest mod for Morrowind, today you can explore a vast swath of the mainland thanks to the tireless efforts of these amazing modders, from the highest peaks of the Velothian Mountains, to the lowest swamps of the Grey Meadows, the barren flats of the Armun Ashlands, the maze of canyons of the Roth Roryn, and the fertile farmlands of the Thirr River valley. With dozens of cities to visit, from the massive citadels of Old Ebonheart and Baan Malur to the magical capital of Port Telvannis and the religious cities of Necrom and Almalexia, not to mention countless dungeons, quests, and hidden-away treasures, you'll find hundreds of hours worth of content on the Morrowind mainland with what Tamriel Rebuilt's release so far.
There's just so much to see and do in Tamriel Rebuilt, and after 16 years, while the project is far from finished, it remains as the largest mod for Morrowind, and one of the oldest continuously worked on modding projects in gaming history.

If you want to help out with this massive project though and contribute to one of the biggest and oldest modding projects in the community, why not head over to http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/ and join the team today?

You can download Tamriel Rebuilt's latest release here.

Check out an online interactive map of TR here.

And visit their YouTube Channel here.

The music in this trailer is "Elysium 2" by composer Johannes Bornlof from Epidemic Sound.

You can download this music here.
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Think of it as a landmass mod + giant quest mod + platform for further modding.

It's a great mod and I really enjoyed it. It can't help the combat though and that is the only problems with Morrowind. One of the greatest settings in crpg history.

Wow thats amazing stuff. Its insane how much content there is. Hopefully I get to play this some day.

Gorgeous!

Morrowind can be pretty enough graphics-wise, but yeah the biggest con for me is the combat (and broken balance on higher levels).

Eh, I prefer Morrowind's combat over later iterations in TES. I prefer when stats heavily dictate the combat rather than player stick skills. The combat in Morrowind is not that different than Baldur's Gate or other old-school CRPGs that have dice rolls.

I wish someone would combine Morrowind's combat with Baldur's Gate. 6 second rounds, single-player (maybe with AI controlled companions, a la NWN), RTWP in first-person. I think it would be cool to explore a huge open-world with that sort of combat. One flaw in Morrowind was that, while you had a ton of spells, trinkets, magical items, etc. at your disposal, the battles usually are over so quick that you can't really explore all the options available. Slow down the combat some and give some options to how you want to fight and I think it would be even better.

NWN in first-person, basically. In a Morrowind-style open-world.

On topic, I still have to explore Tamriel Rebuilt. I've installed it in the past but haven't gotten far with it yet. My next playthrough I'll have to mod it to oblivion. Hoping I can upgrade my GTX 970 soon. I need that 50 mile view distance. :D

LOL! This represents everything good and bad about modding, 16 years and counting. While the project is interesting, it still is nothing more than a long running joke. While entire games have been made and released in Nehrim and Enderal, this simple expansion of an existing product is still little more than a half finished wish for a small minority of gamers that even care anymore. It is both a sweet testimony to those that love something and want to continue to tinker with it and the stark reality of the difference between doing something and wishing something existed. Celebrating 16 years of something not even remotely getting finished is laughable to me when so many have accomplished so much more in so much less time, but it's a nice story anyway. It is the definition of the difference between amateurs doing something for a hobby and professionals doing something for a living and it is not very favorable to modders. It is always easier to tweak the efforts of superior labor than it is to create something new by yourself. Hopefully this "anniversary" is a lesson in humility for anyone that ever laughably stated that modders were better than the creators of the original content. And before you waste your time with hate in response, I won't be reading replies, so cheers!

Combat is the most obvious weakness, but you can throw in the repetitive dialogue of the npc's, the static nature of the world, the idea that interesting means replacing a few trees with mushrooms and some leather armor with insect armor, all of the gameplay that was tossed out to make it work on an XBox, understandably financially but a joke in terms of the finished product and I find little to like in Morrowind beyond the idea that it was the best of its time. It certainly was, but it is light years short of the GOAT argument that stiff old men make in laughable earnestness,

Eh, I prefer Morrowind's combat over later iterations in TES.

I prefer when stats dictate the combat

I hated it, you know. But eventually I started to grow fond of the "dice roll" combat.

this simple expansion of an existing product is still little more than a half finished wish

While the project is ambitious it's also practically modular: you can visit the finished parts of the landmass in a playable and enjoyable state. It might be useful to think of the individual regions as their own mods, many of which are finished.

Truly looking forward to play morrowind once more with this mod.

I wish someone would combine Morrowind's combat with Baldur's Gate. 6 second rounds, single-player (maybe with AI controlled companions, a la NWN), RTWP in first-person.

Isn't that pretty much what KOTOR has?

I would say so. KotOR's combat was very easy even on the highest difficulty settings which took the fun out of the game. Story is still nice, though.

This could be work for other games if done right, but I largely prefer a solid turn-based system any day.

Nah. I mean combining the first-person exploration and gameplay of Morrowind with KOTOR/NWN combat. So you'd explore Morrowind, for example, be able to interact with the game the same way yet combat would be balanced around NWN-style RTWP. And the character system could still be Morrowind's as well with some tweaks.

Morrowind with round-based first-person RtwP combat.. but.. but why? That is probably the worst idea I ever heard.

Back
Top Bottom