RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2017 - Best RPG

@Myrthos;,

When will you publish the results for Most Promising 2018?

I'm glad West of Loathing made the list. On the Codex it received one of the most positive scores, but very few there admitted to actually playing it.

Checking the wikipedia on it for any official sequel announcement on it (the devs said KoL may be remade for PC) I am surprised/not surprised at how many 2017 nominations and even wins it received.

I'll have to compile a list for news.

For sheer fun, its probably better than some of the games in our top 3 list.

Really liked DOS2, I get the sentiment behind Elex but new Planescape? The game is like a slap in the face to it's predecessor...

Only games on the list i want to play are DOS2 and elex. Havent gotten to DOS2 yet because i havent finished the first one.

I did play about 15 hours of Elex though and found it, meh. The combat is clunky, which i expected but the exploration and atmosphere were lacking which was a bit suprising since thats usually what i like about PB games.

So for me it was a pretty down year rpg wise.

Battle Brothers would have scored higher if the world map and strategic layer weren't so simplistic. As it is, it's about the same or less quality as Mount & Blade.

but the exploration and atmosphere were lacking
It's really interesting that even a narrow feature like exploration in a certain game is rated completely different by a narrow community like the watch.
It suggests that exploration can be split down to smaller features which either are rated or weighted differently.

I did play about 15 hours of Elex though and found it, meh. The combat is clunky, which i expected but the exploration and atmosphere were lacking which was a bit suprising since thats usually what i like about PB games.

15 hours in, might not be enough to really explore. Some areas have really tough monsters that your character has no business visiting unless he wants to die.

As far as atmosphere, I will grant you that and PB did it to themselves by NOT using their long time music guy (Kai Rosenkranz). The game music and effects in Elex were very, very bland

Battle Brothers would have scored higher if the world map and strategic layer weren't so simplistic. As it is, it's about the same or less quality as Mount & Blade.

Less quality. Both do the job of representing accurately the 3D landscape into 2D.

Except that BB makes nothing of it. Contrary to M&BW, which is a two side street, BB mainly is a one side street, there is no back and fro chase movement between the hunter and the hunted, this ensures players they can engage on the point of the map they decide.

Yet engaging on specific terrain has no weight, players do not drag enemies into a swamp, a forest or a mountain to get a tactical advantage.

In M&B:W, engaging the enemy on a proper terrain means a lot of difference, that can go into losing a battle.

Back
Top Bottom