Divinity 2 Excessive gain of XP

Enflure

Traveler
Hello,

I play Ego draconis since 1 week, greet game (old school rpg), I wait for lower price on Steam to get it, and I don't regret my buying.

Level 15 after the Maxos temple, I decide to go to "Orobas Fjord"

Sudenly my gain of XP increase a lot, I win more than 3000 xp to kill easy gobelin...And I level up very fast, I'm pretty sure something's wrong...

Bug?

Can I do something?

Enflure

ps: sorry for my language, I'm french (don't find any answers in fr)

Could be copy protection. I think I've read something in this directionn in the offiocial forums ...

What surprises me is that this happens with a Steam specimen of the game ...

I think you should really ask in the official forums for that.

I thought like this in the beginning, but finally I had to admit that these MOB were not so much harder than before...

And I pass to the level 19 in half an hour...

I'm pretty sure that realise a quest in the same area make win less XP.

That's not normal.

I'll make try in the official forum

I thought like this in the beginning, but finally I had to admit that these MOB were not so much harder than before…

And I pass to the level 19 in half an hour…

I'm pretty sure that realise a quest in the same area make win less XP.

That's not normal.

I'll make try in the official forum
I remember that there was a discussion (either here or in the Larian forum) along the following lines:

The exp from mobs depend only on the mob's level.
The exp from quests depend on your level.

This would fit to your experience (in an area with high level mobs compared to your avatar you get much more exp from the mobs than from quests).

So min-maxers would try to first kill all enemies and only start to complete quests afterwards. (But that is no fun of course, so I would never do that.)

When you are below level 20 you do gain experience faster in Orobas Fjord but (like Bill have said) you DO need it. At level 15 and over mobs in Broken Valley are easy but, if you think that mobs in Orbas Fjord aren't any harder it only means you haven't went far enough. OF is meant to be entered at level 20. It doesn't mean that you can't go there at 15 but (unlike in BV) you will have to take your enemies one by one.

So you're all thinking that win 3400 xp with 5 arrows is normal!!?I enter the mine near and encounter no difficulty...I play in normal mode.

I enter the OF after I had finish all the quest in BV, and had kill all MOB...did I miss à step?

I had gone OF cos it feel like my only option after maxos temple...

NO, from what you describe it doesn't sound right to me. You do get a lot more experience if you enter OF at level 15 (just like you get much more experience at the beginning of BV than at the end) but you certainly shouldn't be able to take on multiple mobs there at this (or close to this) level. But since neither me nor Bill experienced anything like this, it might be a problem/bug which affects your game rather than game in general.

Yeah. I went into the Fjord and killed a few goblins and got a ton of XP but decided it was way too hard. I don't remember what level I was. There is only a tiny bit of it you can get to at that point, though.

Of course I wasn't an archer and I hear that archers make the game very easy.

So you're all thinking that win 3400 xp with 5 arrows is normal!!?
No, I think it was a design oversight.
Those goblins in the beginning of OF were simply too easy for their level, at least considering how relatively early player could get there.
At least for my character build they weren´t all that difficult even on the highest difficulty at around level 12. Once I´ve killed a few of them I rather returned to BV since it seemed pretty much like an unintended exploit that would make some portions of the game trivial (I haven´t been to the Maxos temple yet by that time).

It is a design oversight DeepO but it has more to do (IMO) with the fact that some builds seems to be overpowered rather than mobs being too easy. My (about 15th level) battlemage could take them out one by one but they certainly weren't easy.

The foes in the Fjord are NOT easy. They are of vastly higher level than the foes in the starting area and that is why they give you a lot more XP.

^This.

Assuming you're a mere mortal like most of us, and not an elite gamer like DeepO;), the goblins in the Orobas Fjords should be significantly tougher than anything in the common parts of Broken Valley.

Getting 3000 xp might seem a lot to you now, but later in the game you'll be getting a lot more than that.

Without having dragon form, it doesn't really matter though. You can't explore the Fjord before you continue the main quest and get dragon form.

It is a design oversight DeepO but it has more to do (IMO) with the fact that some builds seems to be overpowered rather than mobs being too easy. My (about 15th level) battlemage could take them out one by one but they certainly weren't easy.
I didn´t say they were easy, they just didn´t feel appropriately difficult and presented a relatively easy way to gain some levels "in advance".
Partially because of the terrain and, at least in the case of my playthrough, partially because in Dragon Knight Saga the level difference between pc and enemies factors less into combat difficulty than it did in the original game.

I have to disagree. I have finished most of the quests in Broken Valley at (about) level 15-16. There was not much of a challenge left there and leveling become a bit of a chore so I was glad for the chance to pop into Fjord for more challenge and experience.

In Divinity 1, there existed a thing called an "XP Bomb". It would work exactly like ho you've experienced it with Divinity 2 : Getting lots and lots and lots of exprience points for managing to slay foes which are much, much stronger than your character.
Perhaps they re-introduced this again, but I can't say bcause at one point in the past I decided not to follow the discussions in the official forums anymore.

But hat I think to remember was one reply that making a game far too easy so that it is no fun anymore by giving out far too many experience points would be indeed one thing the game did when it thought that the game was pirated (read : the copy protection was removed). But that was for the original Divinty 2 game, and long ago.

Edit : As I just found out, it seems to have been rather skill points thn experience points.

Like this here : http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthr...20253&Words=protection&Search=true#Post380757

Other things that the copy protection did with the original game (not with DKS, I suppose) :

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378450#Post378450

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=380206#Post380206

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=380565#Post380565

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=380776#Post380776

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=379437#Post379437

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=379632#Post379632

I have to disagree. I have finished most of the quests in Broken Valley at (about) level 15-16. There was not much of a challenge left there and leveling become a bit of a chore so I was glad for the chance to pop into Fjord for more challenge and experience.

I think a lot of it simply has to do with how you play. I found those goblins hard because I played mostly as a pure warrior and resisted the temptation to exploit archery. I can understand how some players could find it relatively easy though. Certain abilities and combat styles in DKS were overpowered compared to others.

I agree, I have mentioned it in my previous post.

and resisted the temptation to exploit archery.

When I played Divinity 2 for the first time, my impression was that it was the other way round, then.

They seem to have changed it considerably.

Back
Top Bottom