The Witcher 2 - Patch 1.3 Coming - CDP RED being sued by Namco BANDAI

I actually dislike how pretty much all npcs go on the offensive if you enter a house in the Gothic games.

PS. If they implemented a system where you could knock on their door and talk to the npc and potentially get invited in then it would be much better. Also I think it is stupid that all of the npcs in the area come over to harass you when you enter someones house.

I actually dislike how pretty much all npcs go on the offensive if you enter a house in the Gothic games.

PS. If they implemented a system where you could knock on their door and...

What door? ;)

The "reactionary npc/world simulator" arguments are certainly valid, but I suppose it depends on where your priorities lie - both as a developer and/or as a player. For me, I'm much more of a gameplay/story guy, so I am perfectly willing to forgive games like TW2 for not having enough world simulator elements because they put so much emphasis on the facets of a game that are the most important to me. If they could include more reactionary-based elements that have been mentioned in this thread, that would be fantastic, but if that were to come at the cost of focusing less time and effort on the story, choice and consequence, and gameplay elements that make TW2 such a great experience for me, I'd rather they keep their priorities where they are.

My main complaint with the Gothic and Elder Scrolls series (more-so with Elder Scrolls than Gothic) is that they focused too much effort (purely for my own tastes) on the world simulator elements that simply aren't all that important to me, personally. I certainly can appreciate things such as reactionary npcs, but the novelty of these elements wears off after a while, and the desire for a better story/quest writing/choice and consequence comes into play (again, Gothic did a pretty solid job at these things in addition to everything else, so this mostly applies to the Elder Scrolls). I suppose this is all subjective based on personal preference, but ultimately I think that different games fill different needs, and there's no such thing as the perfect game that has everything that everybody enjoys. I guess I just try to enjoy games for what they do well rather than lament what they are lacking in, because every single game has flaws or aspects that could be done better.

PS. If they implemented a system where you could knock on their door and talk to the npc and potentially get invited in then it would be much better. Also I think it is stupid that all of the npcs in the area come over to harass you when you enter someones house.

Of course. But it is generic integration for characters in a gameworld, affecting characters no matter their role.

Diverting resources for something that is not a priority in a RPG framework as games are struggling to say the least to implement decent representation of role developpment in a gameworld.

This is the kind of addition that could be made once the role side is secured.

With in mind the fact that mechanics to allow a character to fit into a gameworld population could easily be perceived as routine. The character befriends the house owners through three or four ways and it is the same every time.

Very enlightening that players chooses to focus on secondary features when the monster slayer role is inexistent in the Witcher 2.

Good to see a new patch coming with even more fixes :)

I'm just afraid to play the game…
I kept it on the side from release on cause every time I launch it, it plays fine but the fans of my graphic cards start to make noise like hell.
Only got this with The Witcher 2 so no idea what the problem might be.
Got enough cooling in my comp so I don't think its because of that.

Good to see a new patch coming with even more fixes :)

I'm just afraid to play the game…
I kept it on the side from release on cause every time I launch it, it plays fine but the fans of my graphic cards start to make noise like hell.
Only got this with The Witcher 2 so no idea what the problem might be.
Got enough cooling in my comp so I don't think its because of that.

I believe the cause of the fan noise is that your gpu is at very high load (maybe 100%) when playing The Witcher 2 and getting quite hot. Since you say this only happens with this game you can check and compare gpu load when running different games with some program such as gpu-z.

I believe the cause of the fan noise is that your gpu is at very high load (maybe 100%) when playing The Witcher 2 and getting quite hot. Since you say this only happens with this game you can check and compare gpu load when running different games with some program such as gpu-z.

Never heard of it, but thx for the tip, I'll give it a try :)

Never heard of it, but thx for the tip, I'll give it a try :)

Something else that occasionally does this - if the game frame rate is not limited (v-sync), and the GPU is under utilized, it can often render more frames than it really needs to - if it runs at 100% all the time it will get really hot. TW2 has lots of per frame shader vfx which can stress a GPU if they are all enabled. Try enable v-sync and see if the noise goes away - your frame rate will drop, but I never really noticed an issue when I was playing. Also, uber-sampling really stresses my GPU - I turned everything on but this, and it ran well.

Well thx for the tips guys cause so far so good.

When I ran TW2 I had GPU's temperatures up to 85-90 C° with noise.
Then I did a test with GTA IV + graphics mods and everything maxed out (known to be a system hog), I had temperatures of around 65C° and no noise.
I never played TW2 with V-sync turned off but I never disabled ubersampling and now I get temperatures of about 75C° max and no noise.
Guess that's normal.

Back
Top Bottom