Fallout 76 - Will Have Private Servers

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer reports that Fallout 76 will have private servers but it looks like they will be online only.

Will Fallout 76 get private servers?

Yes! At QuakeCon 2018 on August 11, game director Todd Howard confirmed again that private servers are part of the plan. "That is definitely something that we are doing. We are committed to it. It's not just having a private server, it's being able to mod it," he said in a Q&A panel. "It's something that, given the online nature of it, is going to be very, very complicated, but we're committed to it and we've been starting to design what that system is going to look like. It's a complicated problem but one that we're one-hundred-percent committed to solving."

[...]
More information.

Buy a mmo then invest additional tons of $ to server it because it's too expensive for the publisher.

That's a bit harsh. I dont like this MMO approach to Fallout. But if they have to do a MMO, private servers with mods are actually a very nice thing.

Buy a mmo then invest additional tons of $ to server it because it's too expensive for the publisher.
Or subscribe to a streamer who will use the money given by his subscribers to buy and operate servers dedicated to his subscribers.

Subscribe?
I'd cut off my hands first.

I mean, since when to play games one needs to join Jehovah's Witnesses and then get buggered with the nonsense.

Not surprised but wish they went the Conan route with private servers.

Basically you host your own but hey they want total control I get it.

Still doesn't bother me as I'm not interested in playing.^^

Offline Single Player Games are going to die out.

I disagree, I believe they will always be new ones coming out. Even if it does happen, at least we have many that will never require any online garbage to deal with simply to play them.

They might die out from major publishers but I suspect they will never die out; just too large of a market for single player games; also multi-player - at least today - is not really cost effective for small developers - esp when you consider the 'long term' viability of the game. After all your server (service) (whether it be 'in-house' or cloud based); has to be kept running 24/7.

Or is this going to be more like Neverwinter Nights model?

Private servers sounds like best case scenario to me. Better than full mmo.

If I can host a private game with just my friends and family then I’m good. I don’t care if it’s on thier server vs local.

I doubt I'll go with a private server. It's clear that they're going out of their way to prevent griefing - and I like the tension of never knowing exactly what will happen.

Then again, how about a Watch private server? I can imagine quite a few people who would greatly enjoy griefing good old Darth :)

But it depends - and the best part of private servers is the potential to mod the hell out of your game - as you see fit.

If the game plays anything like Fallout 4 - it's going to be a blast to play with friends.

I'm still very curious about the loot system. Fallout 4 was "almost-great" with the legendary stuff - but it didn't have quite enough variety there. Armor was also a little underwhelming, I found.

I hope they realise the importance of variety with FO76 and a perpetual online experience.

I doubt I'll go with a private server. It's clear that they're going out of their way to prevent griefing - and I like the tension of never knowing exactly what will happen.

Its the sign of times we live in, cuddle millennials and all that! Any form of human interaction is bound to have both positive and negative outcomes and thats what makes it fun. If you remove all possibility of negative outcomes, then the whole thing becomes shallow and meaningless. This attitude is ruining the whole MMO, multiplayer scene etc.

I hope people will learn that the only way to appreciate the highs in your life is to experience the lows as well.

/rant over

Its the sign of times we live in, cuddle millennials and all that! Any form of human interaction is bound to have both positive and negative outcomes and thats what makes it fun. If you remove all possibility of negative outcomes, then the whole thing becomes shallow and meaningless. This attitude is ruining the whole MMO, multiplayer scene etc.

I hope people will learn that the only way to appreciate the highs in your life is to experience the lows as well.

/rant over

Well, yes and no. The problem with games is that they're so prone to exploits - and most people usually play them as a form of escape, and not to experience the harsh nature of real life when they get home from work.

Also, there are people who don't have 12 hours to play and practice every single day - and I don't think it's fair to ignore them, since they're also paying to play the game.

If you're making a game for the wider audience, including casual and mainstream gamers - you sort of have to cater to players of all kinds.

That said, there are many ways to approach this challenge.

I kinda like the way WoW is going to do it with the new expansion. They're going to let people opt into PvP when they're in the capital city - and then they EXCLUSIVELY encounter people who have also opted into PvP.

If FO76 did something similar, then maybe they could have more interesting PvP mechanics and consequences.

But, again, with private servers you can probably mod this however you want. I'm sure we'll be seeing hardcore servers with full loot PvP - if that's the kind of thing you're into.

Well, yes and no. The problem with games is that they're so prone to exploits - and most people usually play them as a form of escape, and not to experience the harsh nature of real life when they get home from work.

Also, there are people who don't have 12 hours to play and practice every single day - and I don't think it's fair to ignore them, since they're also paying to play the game.

If you're making a game for the wider audience, including casual and mainstream gamers - you sort of have to cater to players of all kinds.

That said, there are many ways to approach this challenge.

I kinda like the way WoW is going to do it with the new expansion. They're going to let people opt into PvP when they're in the capital city - and then they EXCLUSIVELY encounter people who have also opted into PvP.

If FO76 did something similar, then maybe they could have more interesting PvP mechanics and consequences.

But, again, with private servers you can probably mod this however you want. I'm sure we'll be seeing hardcore servers with full loot PvP - if that's the kind of thing you're into.

I agree with what you are saying and mine was a rant! However you don't have to be good at PvP or spend hours and hours to enjoy the competitive social multiplayer aspect.

I suck at PvP and I don't even practice to improve my PvP skills. In ESO, I go to random battleground as Tank, this means I can't really kill anyone but it also means it takes lot of time for other people to kill me since i can heal and block till forever. This comes in very handy for those capture and hold the flag games or even defend your relic etc. I know I am going there to die but I also know that even with my limited PvP skill sets, I can really annoy the opposition. This is fun because its game with really zero real life consequence.

I find people these days lack this "fuck it" attitude, if its PvP, they have to win else it sucks and they do everything in their power to stay away from it. Its their choice but I feel that they are missing out, thats all :)

Offline Single Player Games are going to die out.
No. They will stay up with the main sales argument as offline single player. This is how they are going to be marketed. Release a generic product whose main features are poverty in everything game related and offline SP, it sells. Devs are not going to bypass opportunities like that.
Less work, same or more money.
Better than porting console designed products to the PC.

Having private servers opens a lot of possibilities depending on how customizable everything actually is.
Will it be possible to have full conversions to run on a server? This could spawn persistent worlds of difrerent settings.

Back
Top Bottom