DA:O Approval system sure is annoying.

Dragon Age: Origins
Well, so far I got the brood mother to take her shirt off for me....

Ok, thanks for refining the point. Still, there is quite a jump in disposition points from neutral to warm, etc., if you see what I'm saying, so depending on how effective each gift/conversation has been, the gift potency will start to decline eventually, but not per gift given, as seemed to have been the impression.

No, actually, there's a stacking effect.

That is, let's say you give Morrigan a necklace in camp and get a +6. If you immediately give her another necklace/gift, you will get +5...and right after that, the next gift will get +4.

According to the wiki:

Each gift given imposes an increasing penalty upon subsequent gifts. So the first gift would give +5, the second would generally give +4, etc.

No, actually, there's a stacking effect.

That is, let's say you give Morrigan a necklace in camp and get a +6. If you immediately give her another necklace/gift, you will get +5…and right after that, the next gift will get +4.

According to the wiki:

So you just can't give another gift too soon then? Give one gift, and then don't give another until the next time you're in camp, right?

I don't think it matters how long you wait between giving gifts. I assume the keyword here is "diminishing returns". The more someone likes you already, the more you have to give them for the same bonus.

It makes no difference whether you wait or not. The formula is this:

Base approval gain = 5
If they like the gift +5
For every gift given previously -1
If approval was negative before you gave the gift, the total gain is halved.
Minimum gain for any gift that is accepted: 1

Some special gifts like the Grimoire, gifts that trigger a dialouge, you can get more approval. I think I got +13 for a certain special gift once.

So, in conclusion, it's well worth trying to only give people gifts that they like, because you can just endlessly give gifts until you find a good one.

Hmm, I've also now in the meantime seen that formula regarding the gifts on the wiki. (..and I do apologise to the OP who was originally quoting from it)

Well, anyway, I don't know how they work that, but in my game it has not seemed quite a simple as that, because sometimes I'd get only a 2 or 3 for a gift, but then later, for another gift, I'd get a +6, even after I'd already given gifts. (Not talking about the "special' gifts, for which you get between 10 and 13 points).

I saved and reloaded a lot experimenting with gifts, and some gifts nobody seemed to like - maybe those were gifts meant for
Loghain
, though.

When I tried, they gave me an ultimatum - had to choose one.

I think you can lie to Leliana about Morrigan and keep them both.

May be i have not gotten far into the romance for the choice you were talking about.

I romanced Leliana first and gotten her approval to 100. Then started on Morrigan and ended up having sex with her (but never had 100 approval with Morrigan ) then Leliana talked to me and asked me whats going on between me and Morrigan but I told her she was wrong about me and Morrigan and she belived it.

Back
Top Bottom