SKALD: Against the Black Priory - Beta v1.0

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest update for SKALD: Against the Black Priory announces Beta status.

Beta v. 1.0.0 is up!

Scape-ITCreator
May 20, 2020
Hello everyone!

The time is finally here: I happy to announce that the first tiny piece of the Beta build is finally up!

It's short and sweet and consists of the games prologue. It should take about 15-20 minutes to play through and you can consider it an interactive trailer of sorts . It also should give you a pretty good idea of where the game is going.

7749a77a34ddb4ab7b6966cf920c395b_original.png

Pretty much what crunching feels like!

How do I get it?

Easy: Just use the itch.io link you got for the Alpha demo. It should take you right to the game's Itch page and there you should find the Beta build easy as pie. If you've lost your link, get in touch with me and I'll hook you up.

The Next Step

Beta 1.0.0 is for all backers and a handful of friends of the community. As beta-development proceeds, backers of KNIGHT-tier and higher will get a brand new key so they can follow the closed beta development.

Feedback and reaching out

By far, my preferred way of getting feedback in the demo is via the Discord-channel. We have sub-channels set up for that express purpose and keeping things in one place makes it a lot easier for me to review.

Beyond that you can always reach me at contact(at)skaldrpg.com or on twitter.

Hope you all enjoy the demo!

AL

More information.

Played through the Beta Demo and it's really short, so the conclusions are rather limited. I think there are some major issues mostly with controls which need to be ironed out, as the movement just feels horrible.
Besides of that the overall impression is rather good so far. I like the art and the music.
Combat/Character System and so on was not really used much in this Demo, so not a lot to say about that.

Combat is horrible. No movement, just some indication that you breathed a bad breath onto a Rat and the Rat died a horrible Instant Covid Death.

I don't think the combat is horrible. It's pretty much a JRPG combat. You could also say combat like in MMX or similar.

You group members are to the left, enemies are to the right. Fixed positions, you select the target (which at the moment is still cumbersome) and your action (of which in the 2 fights you have basically nothing available).

So it's a pretty standard combat. Whether or not it is really interesting, good or bad will only show later in the game with more spells, harder enemies and so on.

Isn't the completed combat going to be like the Gold box games, that's the goal right?

Isn't the completed combat going to be like the Gold box games, that's the goal right?

Don't think so. The KS trailer also shows the combat as it is at the moment, and changing it towards a gold box system would be quite a different design-choice. So I highly doubt that they/he is going to swap out the combat system for a different one.

Don't think so. The KS trailer also shows the combat as it is at the moment, and changing it towards a gold box system would be quite a different design-choice. So I highly doubt that they/he is going to swap out the combat system for a different one.

Aye,so no tactical positioning on battlefields, more like everyone on one side vs. everyone else on the other static positioning and no terrain or cover mechanics...right (to bad if so)?

Aye,so no tactical positioning on battlefields, more like everyone on one side vs. everyone else on the other static positioning and no terrain or cover mechanics…right (to bad if so)?

Yup. Imho it's better that way than bad cover mechanics. ^^

Aye,so no tactical positioning on battlefields, more like everyone on one side vs. everyone else on the other static positioning and no terrain or cover mechanics…right (to bad if so)?

There has been a update you can read about here:
https://www.skaldrpg.com/2020/07/pr...ail&utm_campaign=bck-07152020update&utm_term=

Two important takeaways:
-Combat is being revamped, it's now grid based with at least some positioning (or maybe just moving forward as in the old BT games, I dont know)
AutoResolve.gif

-It will now release in Early Access first (Fall 2020) and then be released later on "launch fully in the first half of 2021". The final chapter will be missing till then.

The initial plan was apparently to release it in a rather unfinished state and then patch it up, which....sounds really horrible. So I am happy he took this route now.
@Silver; maybe worth another news post.

Back
Top Bottom