Microsoft - Acquires Obsidian and InXile

It would also be nice to know what will happen with the Shadowrun and Battletech licenses which are owned by MS. HBS had its shot with the SR games and I wouldn't mind them to go to a new studio. Battletech on the other hand is my favorite game right now (even though, I play RogueTech) and I would love to see where they can take the franchise. Depends on what contract they got I guess.
Good question as HBS is now owned by Paradox.:thinking:

At least, one tiny good news is MS has not any mobile OS anymore to promote so they could be more reluctant to debase themselves on that side (Hello Blizzard). But, on the other side, MS is very pushy on the Software as a Service modele so it would be very strange they do not try to extend and adapt, in the future, that Enterprise model to the consumer world of gaming as others like EA are doing with financial success.

As for them buying it..good for them, I mean the big get better and the sheep flock to it.

How else did EA get so big..

There will always be games worth playing and always games that are promoted.

Huge Witcher fan here, zero interest in their next game….I was surprised they weren't sold off…thought I figure they sold their souls.

Yes cyberpunk...I will replay POE again.

The only thing that scares me about this purchase is if Microsoft means to move its weight around, and "force" them to release the games exclusively to the Windows Store, and no Steam. God I hope not.

How does that scare you.

Just play good games and it won't be and issue.

Yes i am being a smart aXX

In a way i mostly don't care. If the products become console exclusive or ms store exclusive i won't buy them but otherwise it doesn't really have much impact on myself.

Two bastions of classic style RPGs have fallen. Rest in peace renaissance age of RPGs. Sad news for us all.

The best Microsoft published game: Starlancer developed by Chris Roberts.

I absolutely hated that.

How does that scare you.

Just play good games and it won't be and issue.

Yes i am being a smart aXX

The scary part is that they are using developers as tools.
Humans are no more treated as humans, creative output is considered as a tool for making money.

In a way i mostly don't care. If the products become console exclusive or ms store exclusive i won't buy them but otherwise it doesn't really have much impact on myself.

They will. They will. MS is not interested in the PC market. They are interested in the XBOX market.

I've a hard time seeing this as something negative. Considering the poor sales of Obsidians and inXiles latest titles I'm pretty sure the alternative would have been to go out of business? That's just what I believe though, I haven't seen any numbers.

At least now they get to keep making games. They might not be the games I want, but there's a chance they might be. If they had been closed down the chance would have been zero.

Last edited:
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Joking aside, I don't really mind this. I will have to wait and see what their next games will be. If they're good, they're good; if they're bad, I guess I'll have to rely on indie studios to create games I like. It's not like the market for old school RPGs (even though it's not that big) will disappear, someone will have to fill that hole.

Like many others, I don't foresee anything positive coming out of all this. Then again, only time will tell, the first few products will say much about where all of this might be headed.

InXile came as a surprise, since no rumors I know of were leaked.

I saw a comment a month or two ago that Fargo was looking to sell InXile (I think it was on Resetera).

And he started a new company in January 2018 (Robot Cache), seems like he shifted his interests elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom