Project Eternity - Closes with >$4.1M

Still, if you go to GOG's catalogue page and arrange the titles by "bestselling", Anachronox is nowhere near the top. Not even in the top 40 in fact. However, there's nothing to indicate if "bestselling" means since the beginning or just within the last week, month, etc.

Yeah I suspect, after looking at the front-page "top-sellers" filter and the catalog "best selling" filter that "top-selling" takes a more recent view of the data while "best sellers" is more likely an all-time list.

Ah..ok. I thought we were looking at the same list from different times. Now I see it's a different list. I'd be interested in knowing what time frame the "top sellers" list actually covers.

*Edit* My fault for not looking at the JPEG more closely.

Last edited:
Yeah per JW there's probably 2 lists: of all time (for GOG, at least), and just for the last 7 days (or even a 24 hour rolling list).

Arcanum and Anachronox are probably there since the last Activision sales (2 weeks ago? or last week?). The D&D titles stayed quite a while though.

I would like to know the budget of baldur's gate games, Icewind Dale or Temple of elemental evil to compare with the budget of project eternity.
* Furthermore, the 4 millions raised by obsidian are reasonable or well below what they used to work with buget provided by an editor?
Finally, maybe a stupid question but is project eternity the final name of the game, because i find it awful.

Arcanum and Anachronox are probably there since the last Activision sales (2 weeks ago? or last week?). The D&D titles stayed quite a while though.

Not really, I think the sales from the front page, being very recent, are subject to a lot of influences. Given the probable overlap of GOG customers and the "Kickstarter RPG Renaissance" fans (backers of Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns, Project Eternity etc), Arcanum and Anachronox are probably there because of their mention in Project Eternity and Shaker, respectively.

I don't believe that the people who bought these games never heard of them before, but we all have those games that slip through our fingers (I still haven't played anything in the Ultima series etc), and the fact that they see them mentioned as sacred monsters of the genres, makes them curious enough to pay 6 bucks for them and try them.

That is of course, a non-empirical point of view, subject to change in front of overwhelming evidence leaning towards a competing theory. :D

It's probably safe to say there are a lot of contributing factors as to why An. and Ar. are in the number 1 and 2 positions on the GOG front page. There. Settled. ;)

It's probably safe to say there are a lot of contributing factors as to why An. and Ar. are in the number 1 and 2 positions on the GOG front page. There. Settled. ;)

No what's pretty clear is that they're there because of ME. My decision to repurchase Arcanum and to try Anachronox for the first time is clearly, obviously, and indisputably the single thing that edged them into the top spots. All praise to me, Manipulator of Lists!

I always thought project eternity was a placeholder name, and they will come out with something later. If the game title is really "project eternity", well, that would be very strange to me.

I always thought project eternity was a placeholder name, and they will come out with something later. If the game title is really "project eternity", well, that would be very strange to me.

It is a placeholder.

Mroject Eternity?

/desperately not letting go of his own theory

On an entirely unrelated note, I've come up with the perfect name for my pregnant-cat based parody of Project Eternity. Purroject Maternity.

Hmm GoG doesn't sell wizardry titles on there so it is kind of a moot point....it is shameful that some of you think that anochronix had a bigger role on the CRPG front then Wizardry series.

On topic, why are you all acting surprised that it had a very successfull kickstarter? I expected it to get this much support due to them being a top rpg game company in the first place. Seems like you would have to be in denial to think they wouldn't. Now, if a company made that much without big names, or established companies behind them then I would be very impressed, honestly anything less for obsidion on this game would have been a let down.

Just remember there still taking paypal donations. They will still make money during development as more people donate.

Just remember there still taking paypal donations. They will still make money during development as more people donate.

The paypal donations are going to close soon though, well the one setup currently at least.

They've posted a new update with some more specific final tallies. Between kickstarter and paypal the total comes to :

Backers: 77,667
Pledged: $4,163,208

So that means, according to their official post, 15 levels of mega-dungeon. They also said that if they reach 40k likes on their facebook page (clicking like through the kickstarter page doesn't add to this, you have to do it on their facebook page) they'll do a 16th. They said there's a limited time for this and paypal pledges will also still be accepted for a limited time as well.

And also obviously live instrumentation and MCA playing Arcanum, but that was already pretty clear I think. After amazon, paypal, and kickstarter take their cuts and failed payments are taken into account I'd guess they'll have roughly 3.6 million.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/330758

The update also contains some other information such as confirmation of the previously mentioned Arcanum playthrough by MCA.

On topic, why are you all acting surprised that it had a very successfull kickstarter?

Are you reading the same thread as the rest of us?

Last edited:
The paypal donations are going to close soon though, well the one setup currently at least.

Yes that's a given but most projects leave paypal open for more donations. It wont be like it is now but you can still help the project. It will probably be just a preorder for the digital or boxed copy with no extras.

I meant in general throughout the 50 or so threads on Project eternity. Did anyone seriously doubt it would go this far?

Back
Top Bottom