The TV Series discussion thread

That sounds compelling. Hopefully BBC America will air it, I'll have to check.

I remember a series from the UK about reality show contestants on a show like Big Brother when the zombie apocalypse strikes. Can't remember the name but I enjoyed it and was surprised by the unhappy ending IIRC. This was a around the time when The Walking Dead series started.

Can't remember the name but it was a Charlie Brooker one. If you liked it then I'd recommend his Black Mirror mini-series (about to come back for a second season).

His guardian articles are always good reading as well.

Wish BBC had kept The Fades going. I thought that series had a lot of potential as a coming-of-age horror serial.

Bah, did they not pick up a second series? A real shame :(

I'm still angry about the editing on it, a great ending to the first series moving in to a classic tune (fine night) and after about two seconds of the music the utter gits at BBC cut straight to a cheery "coming up next" segway. Took all that tense atmosphere built up so perfectly and did a massive shit, right on it.

Revenge (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837642/ ) loved by both critics and audience is currenty being aired over here on Fox Life. Anyone watched this? Should I give it a shot? Although I suspected it's yet another Santa Barbara, seems I was completely wrong - it's described as modern Mote Christo so that's why I'm asking.

Also local TV network is preparing to air (I hate when they put a teaser with "coming soon") Borgen. I don't care for shows concentrated on politics, but this one looks promising (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1526318/ ), anyone watched it?

Can't wait for Game of Thrones this year ~

Fellers, I'm almost too embarassed to admit it, but after renewing Netflix I began watching Season One of ...

Downton Abbey

Even worse, I enjoyed the first episode and plan on continuing to watch. Who would have thought with the subject matter it would be so interesting to watch?

Don't be embarassed, a few of my friends watch that one (I don't however) and say it's very good. Maybe I give it a try, but not just yet as I'm currently onto some exotic shows… I mean shows from exotic countries. Dunno how to describe it better, I'm aware New Zealand is not an exotic country to australians, but to me…

My wife is starting to refer to herself as the Dowager.

We watch it religiously but its getting too much of a soap opera. There's a story arc that's great in the first season that season 2 and 3 never equal but a costume drama from this period is good fun. You'll see netflix has picked up a bunch of the earlier British series with this theme, especially Upstairs/Downstairs.

My two issues with the series are the bald faced men and the fact that they just seem to be a bunch of actors. The servants and aristocrats are far too familiar with each other.

I'm reading the works of PG Wodehose at the same time so it marks a great contrast of someone who actually lived in the time.

And did you watch "Friends"? It was the best! Even now - I watch it all over again.

Friends? I've tried to watch that show... Not since the beginning though...

From 4-5 episodes I've seen only one was good, that was the one with Courtney Cox fat as hell. The rest were an utter rubbish. So I stopped watching it.

Speaking of comedy, I assume everyone here has seen Black Adder 2-4?

If not - do so.

I once saw Black Adder - and I can highly recommend it to everyone who is familiar with British Humour !

(I think it would be fitting very much (typical Britisch black humour) that the name "Black Adder" rhymes with" "Bladder" ... ;)

Hugh Laurie (House) IMO is the best thing about Black Adder, especially his turn as the Prince Regent.

Black Adder is great. The first season was not that great, but the other three seasons are very good.

As to Friends I never really found it funny in contrast to it's UK counterpart Coupling, which I found to be so much funnier.

I never understood the popularity of Friends, but I guess I don't really get into sitcoms in general.

Unless you were to include animated shows like South Park and Family Guy, I haven't watched a sitcom on a regular basis since Married with Children.

I haven't watched a sitcom on a regular basis since Married with Children.
Same here. I've been indoctrinating the Wild Dogs with a proper appreciation for Married recently via reruns.

I keep dabbling with Big Bang Theory, but haven't gotten hooked yet.

I like Friends the most. The funniest was 4,5 and 6 seasons. Dr House is also great.

Friends is decent enough for mass-market entertainment, but I rarely had laugh-out-loud moments.

For mass-market stuff, I liked Spin City and Frasier more. They had better writing and characters, I found.

House was too much a copy of Sherlock Holmes and too predictable. The new Sherlock with Benedict Cumberwhatever is awful - and I have no idea why people rate it so highly.

If you want Sherlock stuff, go with Jeremy Brett - there's no competition.

The new Sherlock with Benedict Cumberwhatever is awful - and I have no idea why people rate it so highly.
What exactly is awful? A classic theatre drama approach with extremes in acting perhaps? Or no massive amount of bullets? Or perhaps hinted Sherlock's bisexuality? Or whatever else?
I love that show and rate it 10/10. Why? Because it doesn't pretend to be the books, so they've changed (shortened) the name of the show. And I like when someone shows some respect unlike a movie(s) called Lord of the Rings that don't deserve that title.

If you want Sherlock stuff, go with Jeremy Brett - there's no competition.
That one is also definetly 10/10. And ppl should watch both.

I like Friends the most. The funniest was 4,5 and 6 seasons. Dr House is also great.

Yeah that show definitely hit its stride toward the end. My wife loves it, but I can't watch episodes unless they're from halfway through the series' run.

Back
Top Bottom