M&M: Heroes VI - Demo Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A bit surprising given the delay to October but a three-map demo of Might & Magic: Heroes VI is now available. From the official site:
Download the demo via FilePlanet now !
In the demo you can play 3 campaign maps!
• Tutorial campaign: Griffin Bane
Years have passed since the death of Duke Pavel (Reveal Trailer), killed by Demons summoned by the dying wish of the Orc Shaman Toghrul whose tribe had been slaughtered by the Griffin armies. Now a young man, Pavel’s only son Slave accompanies his aunt, Sveltana (Reveal Trailer), in the mountains of the Griffin Duchy to investigate signs of a new Demon threat
In this map, the player will discover and control the first Haven and Orc units as well as learn all the basics of the Heroes game mechanics
Prologue campaign: The Emperor’s Will
Years have passed - Slava has known war against Elves, found and lost love, eventually marrying a daughter of the Stag Duchy and fathering five promising children. Friendship between Slava and Kraal’s Orc remains strong. When the Emperor issues a decree authorizing Slava’s old enemy, Duke Gerhart of the Wolf, to deport the Orcs and claim their lands, Slava doesn’t hesitate to defy the Emperor’s will to defend his friends.
Here, the player will be able to carry on his adventure with the already level-up Duke Slava character and learn all the new features available in Heroes VI including the Area of Control, the Dynasty Weapons & Traits, the Town Conversion, the Unique Buildings, etc…
MULTIPLAYER “HOTSEAT” MODE: Broken Alliance
In Broken Alliance, up to 3 Human players are fighting for dominance of the lands, but they have also to face 3 AI players in control of richer territories. It is not only a matter of strategy, but also of speed… You can play different factions: Haven / Sanctuary / Necropolis / Inferno / Stronghold.
Here are some other mirrors, thanks to Blues: AtomicGamer, Gamer's Hell and Worthplaying.
More information.

4GB demo? Geez…

What'll be the the size of the final game then, 40GB?

In any case if someone is interested like I am into this… Seems that the highest speed I'm getting is torrent available at GamersHell. Odd. But I won't object. :)

Really ? That's an interesting size for a pure demo, imho ...

I had to return and say that the speed on torrent dropped. Hmm… Ok, I'll just use a mirror link.
After I try the demo I'll, of course, post spits… um… impressions. :)

well, you have to consider that, demo or not, you still need to download the full program, and most of the art and music (the full version will only have the extra cutscenes, as the extra maps and characters probably don't take much space)

I have finally downloaded it, but the file copying seems to take ages … Oh, my …

Alrik, did you get it to work? When I finally had the entire file downloaded the Zip was corrupt. *sigh*

I had the issue with the Beta I was invited. After 16 hours download (yeah we have old cables here...) the ZIP file was corrupt. BUT, I downloaded the Demo, which worked. I am a long time Heroes fans, though I disliked Heroes V, I must say Heroes VI is a good game so far as I can say. The graphics look sharp and interesting, there is enough new stuff and familiar stuff. A sure must buy for me.

I got if from the HoMM 6 website and the connection there was fast enough that it downloaded in less then 2 hours.

Overall I like the game, it's definitely heroes but it changes enough stuff up to be worth a sequel. It's not all perfect though, I really miss the random level up choices rather then putting points into like one of 40 areas. It takes away some of the charm and excitement of leveling up, though I'm sure there will be some people who like it better. I also miss the mages guild and spells.....instead the only way to learn spells is by spending your level up point on a new ability.

On the plus side I like the synergy between the haven troops. You only get to play with the 3 most basic ones, but they are interesting and the praetorians in particular have abilities that dramatically effect the battlefield far more then creatures I'd seen in previous games, particularly given they are a basic troop.

Oh and a lot of the animation and interface are a bit clunky, and upgrading your towns isn't as pretty as some previous versions...it's just a menu. But that all has time to change before release.

The fact that you can buy all of your army from all of your castles in whichever castle you are at is an absolute pile of wank.

The fact that you can buy all of your army from all of your castles in whichever castle you are at is an absolute pile of wank.

That does not bother me at all. Most every HoMM had caravans and things like that to move troops from town to town, or people just used the town portal spell. Running from city to city to pick up troops (or hiring a hero who's only job was to ferry troops which was what most people did) was more tedious then fun.

It is worth noting though that you can only hire troops from castles of the same type as the one you are at, and I think (?) you have to have the same building present as the type you are hiring from (with the exception of forts). Little fuzzy about that last bit though, I know you can't hire upgraded troops unless the city has the upgrade, which is a pain at forts since they have no upgrades.

Alrik, did you get it to work? When I finally had the entire file downloaded the Zip was corrupt. *sigh*

It's installed now, but I haven't played it yet.

While not a big HOMM fan, I am a big fan of the developer, Black Hole. They did Mark of Chaos, and I feel their excellent work there was underappreciated. Hope this one works out better for them.

I think I'll wait for the demo to come on Steam or at least wait until the end of the month to try and download this one so I can see what my 250GB quota is looking like before the 1st of the month rollover.

On a semi-related M&M note, did anyone else read the article that Gamebanshee posted via an ex-Ubisoft employee's Linkedin resume that apparently there was an Oblivion style open world M&M RPG in development that got canned? *sigh*

http://gamebanshee.com/news/104382-ubisoft-canceled-qoblivion-styleq-might-a-magic-rpg.html

For the record, I played against the AI in a skirmish map with the AI difficulty set to normal and I lost. Not sure if it's a fluke, but I'm pretty used to wiping the floor with the AI in HoMM.

I played the demo yesterday night.

It looks like a very good copy of King's Bounty.

What I didn't like at all was his over-use of east-european and slavic names … I felt as if I had not played HOMM, but one nondescriipt game from some unknown East-European developer … All the "universal sounding" fantasy names are gone and they are entirely replaced by East-European ones ... This game just doesn't feel "universal" nymore ... All what made HOMM so special for me is gone. It was as if they had "rebooted" the whole franchise or so.

That said, I must say that I didn't like it, simple because the athmosphere was non-HOMM" for me, so to say.

But the graphics and the art style and everything's just great - an almost perfect copy of King's Bounty, the complete graphics style, even buttons, dialogs etc. … The whole art style, to put it short.

Edit : I own but haven't installed HOMM 5 so far ... and I greatly fear right now that this might be no different regarding the "reboot" ...

What I didn't like at all was his over-use of east-european and slavic names … I felt as if I had not played HOMM, but one nondescriipt game from some unknown East-European developer … All the "universal sounding" fantasy names are gone and they are entirely replaced by East-European ones … This game just doesn't feel "universal" nymore … All what made HOMM so special for me is gone.

Now that is something i dislike alot!
it aint disciples it is a fantasy HOMM game.

The "low" points some people mention are a neutral or even plus for me. So got now worries there.

The game *plays* like any modern HOMM game - what is changed - at least in my view - is the athmosphere.

But I'm still waiting for other views on that, especiall from HOMM 5 players ...

Back
Top Bottom