The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Haven't heard any Johnnie Winter since my second husband era. He was a huge blues freak.:)

I caught the Donovan tune a few months ago on one of my old tapes--it's amazing how folk music doesn't seem to lose it's political pertinence..this one also:

Masters of War

Though it needs a few shots of Bush and Osama to bring it up to date...

Last edited:
Totally different subject and I know some one here can help me out. The other night I was watching CSI and the episode concerned the serial killings of unknown women, called "Jane Does'. In the course of the show, they had several "jane " tracks by various artists, but it ended with one I'd really like to find.

It was a very slow, sad, ballad-ish tune, smoky female vocalist, subdued accompaniment but obviosly contemporary, and the chorus was "Sweet,sweet Jane.."

Can anyone ID it for me?

Last edited:
Thank you, HiddenX. That's exactly the cut I was talking about. Actually the episode had the Velvet Underground(what a time trip:) )version as well. I ought to have known it was a Lou Reed song.

Margo Timmins' voice is indeed haunting. Enjoyed both additional cuts, and will be looking for a CD.

If you are looking for music that "has neither tonality or rhythm" then give Frisell's "Richter 858" a try. I've only made it through that CD a few times.
Cool - I haven't heard that one. Have to give it a go!

@Gig- you just have a thing for husky male vocals, don't you?
@HiddenX- Cowboy Junkies! Excellent call.
@magerette- Supposedly, "The Trinity Sessions" is their pinnacle. Recorded live with a single mic in an abandoned church. Pretty sure they put out a greatest hits collection a while back --took a look, and none of the 3 collections is that great--. I bought the cassette of "Lay It Down" for Common Disaster back in the day. I think you'll really like it. Disaster is probably the most poppy track; the rest has a definite western drawl to it.

A bit bummed, I is. Can't give or receive clips here at work. Still no luck with my rig at home. For me:
The Emerald Down- Scream the Sound cd

Thanks for the lowdown on the cd's, dte. I hate buying a cd with only one listenable cut. Sorry to hear you are still pc-less. Hope you get to end the torture soon.

@Sammy; Deathy stuff isn't usually my thing, but I have to admit I enjoyed every cut on the Zombie Ghost Train sampler..."been a long day at the morgue...." oh I've had that feeling, alright!

well, the thing about that style of psychobilly 50's-rock-meets-monster-mash-punk music is that the entire thing is kinda done with humor, it's not a serious tone whatsoever.

You mean I won't be able to answer the philosophical conundrums of the ages after a few listens to the sensitive, insightful lyrics? I had planned on using this as the background to my daily meditation sessions, too...Rats!

No, but seriously--it was neat to hear music on the same wavelength as a low budget horror flick. Those are the ones that never let you down--probably cause there ain't no lower down to go :)

Last edited:
@dte -- You know I do! I've been staying away from my beloved John Mayer tunes just for you. I remember that he isn't your favorite. ;) I hope you get up and running soon, 'puter problems are the worst! Good luck.
magerette said:
I hate buying a cd with only one listenable cut.
So do I. I haven't bought a physical CD in years. I always use iTunes and Rhapsody, that way I can just get the tracks I like. If I do happen to like an entire CD I just buy the whole thing and download it. I love electronic distribution.

Loved these guys forever. Three Days -- Jane's Addiction

I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
So do I. I haven't bought a physical CD in years. I always use iTunes and Rhapsody, that way I can just get the tracks I like. If I do happen to like an entire CD I just buy the whole thing and download it. I love electronic distribution.

Yeah, one of these days I'm going to have to move into the 21st century. The only nice thing about a cd is that if it's good stuff, you get more into the band and their whole approach when you play all those tunes in sequence. I like it for the car--keeps my road rage down. :)

Yeah, one of these days I'm going to have to move into the 21st century. The only nice thing about a cd is that if it's good stuff, you get more into the band and their whole approach when you play all those tunes in sequence. I like it for the car--keeps my road rage down. :)

You can do that digitally as well. I tend to buy 'full album' on iTunes as well, and do playlists linearly by artist, then date, then by track number within each album (and no, I do not number my underwear ... ). That way I get the experience within the original context ... or I can just shuffle the whole 4500 songs for a nice random experience.

magerette said:
The only nice thing about a cd is that if it's good stuff, you get more into the band and their whole approach when you play all those tunes in sequence. I like it for the car--keeps my road rage down.
txa1265 said:
I tend to buy 'full album' on iTunes as well, and do playlists linearly by artist, then date, then by track number within each album (and no, I do not number my underwear ... ). That way I get the experience within the original context ...
The download services all seem to be good at preserving the track order of the CD if you buy the album. Plus, if you use an iPod and iTunes, you can access the albums you download right from the menu without doing any additional formatting. The original track order comes from iTunes automatically.

My iPod is where all my music lives, I always have it with me. I plug it in when I get in the car and it's been absolutely ages since I've wanted to listen to a song that I didn't have available. That was my problem with the original CD player in my car, I never seemed to have the CD I was jonesing over with me. And, if I only wanted to hear one song, I would have to change the CD while driving or else just deal. For me, a media player is a much better solution. ;)

My mother's favorite group. They were so much a part of my childhood that I still love them.
New Hard Times -- The Stone Poneys

Last edited:
I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
My iPod is where all my music lives, I always have it with me.
Hehe ... it is not lost on me that I recently bought a new car with a 6CD stereo and a MP3 input jack ... and I haven't played a single physical CD yet.

Now playing - Michael Brecker - Pilgrimage

My thoughts: if you listen to this and put it into the wider context of jazz you would likely say "solid performances by Mike and his good friends who were obviously supporting him while he was dying. Some good stuff in a framework that was done better in Brecker's '86 self titled work - a definite buy for fans of Brecker, but others could do better with other picks from his catalog".

This is something that triggers real sentimental feelings for me - it is a pretty good CD but not up there with the best of any of the band members.

Nice cut, HiddenX . They were quite a different band before Nicks and McVie.

iPods? Isn't that a small crustacean living somewhere inthe great Barrier Reef?
Like Ray Davies says; I'm a 20th Century Man but I don't wanna be here.

Or maybe I'm just too Low Budget.

Ray Davies - the "Till Eulenspiegel" (*) of the 20th century - the Kinks are one of the greatest: Lola; Dedicated Follower of Fashion

(*)
Till Eulenspiegel and the Innkeeper at Cologne

Eulenspiegel journeyed to Cologne, where he stayed at an inn for two or three days without letting anyone know who he was. During this time he noticed that the innkeeper was a rogue, and he thought, "The guests will not be well off where the innkeeper is a rogue. You should find another place to stay."

That evening he told the innkeeper that he would be looking for another place to stay. The latter showed the other guests to their beds, but not Eulenspiegel, who then said, "Sir, I paid just as much for my lodging as the others did, but you showed them to their beds. Am I supposed to sleep here on this bench?"

The innkeeper said, "Look! Here is a pair of sheets!" and he let a fart. Then he let another one and said, "Look! This is your pillow!" Then for a third time he let one, until it stank, and he said, "Look! Now you have an entire bed! Use them until morning, and then lay them in a pile for me, so I can find everything together!"

Eulenspiegel said nothing, but thought, "Look! Take note that one rogue deserves another rogue." And that night he slept on the bench.

Now the innkeeper had a nice folding table. Eulenspiegel opened up the leaves, shit a large pile on the table, and then closed it up again. He got up early in the morning, went to the innkeeper's room and said, "Sir, I thank you for the night's lodging." Then letting a large fart, he said, "Those are the feathers from your bed. I laid the pillow, the sheets, and the covers all together in a pile."

The innkeeper said, "Sir, that is good. I will look after them as soon as I get up."

Eulenspiegel said, "Do that! Just look around. You'll find them all right!" And with that he left the inn.

The innkeeper expected many guests for the noon meal, and he said that they should eat at the nice folding table. When he opened up the table, an evil stink flew up his nose. Seeing the dung, he said, "He gives what was earned. He paid for a fart with shit."

Then the innkeeper sent for Eulenspiegel, because he wanted to get to know him better. Eulenspiegel did indeed come back, and he and the innkeeper appreciated one another's tricks so much, that from this time forth Eulenspiegel got a good bed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom